Why WP8's Lack of Polish is Making Adoption Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Tim, have you ever looked at the emerging markets MSFT is trying to get into? There are alot more people out there who can relate to the stuff I've mentioned than you may realize. Again, these aren't crazy broad generalizations here, just simple small options MSFT could have put in but haven't done so yet. ****, people have been giving them suggestions from WP7's launch. No one expected them to put on EVERYTHING at WP8 launch, but the overall point is that there are ways to close the gaps they haven't starting using yet.

For the record, people want choice. It is better you have the option and not choose to use it, than to not have the option at all.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
For the record, people want choice. It is better you have the option and not choose to use it, than to not have the option at all.

For the record, you have THREE operating systems to choose from, four if you want to count whatever crap RIM is putting out these days.

ONE of those four should do most of what you want it to do. Pick that one. It seems like you want a lot of features Android ALREADY has. Go there.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No one expected them to put on EVERYTHING at WP8 launch, but the overall point is that there are ways to close the gaps they haven't starting using yet.

WP7 let you have, what, two tile sizes? People complained, they listened, now on WP8 you have three tile sizes. Here's the deal, though, and why I think your "suggestion" is laughable: no other phone OS has resizable tiles on the home screen at all. You can resize widgets on Android, and create groups on iPhone, but if you want your "Email" app on either to be the size of four regular icons, you're SOL. And you complain because *clutches pearls* you have to cycle through three sizes to find the one you want?

...really, dude? I mean, come on, you can't be serious.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You know why there are 50 similar threads? Because many people have submitted stuff to MSFT directly and haven't been satisfied by what how their responses have been handled. And I tell you what, if people didn't ***** and moan, no product would have moved forward and improved.

As I said initially to all the people who actually read the post, I've used a WP handset at every launch. If I didn't like the OS, I'd still be using my Galaxy Nexus as my primary. To all the Sherlocks out there who like to tout the "if you don't like it, go someplace else argument", learn to tell the difference between a ***** fest and some productive user feedback. I agree that I've seen some trolls here, but this ain't one of them.

No one said the resizing tile option was the SOLE reason why WP8 adoption was slow. Get a grip and actually read for a change.

gmlongo

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
GMlongo, so the playlist issue and headphone support is NOT a OS issue? Since when?

That's why I mentioned that "much of what you wrote" is not OS related. Your title was about WP8 "lack of polish", but you went on and mentioned a handful of app issues. The separate volume and playlists are certainly valid issues, although those are certainly minor and by no means are indicative of an overall lack of polish.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
You know why there are 50 similar threads? Because many people have submitted stuff to MSFT directly and haven't been satisfied by what how their responses have been handled. And I tell you what, if people didn't ***** and moan, no product would have moved forward and improved.

Ok, so then tell me. How does complaining HERE contribute to getting what you want from Microsoft?

I don't see the path. If you can logically explain to me how starting this thread will get you to the "promised land" of the changes and features you want, I'll apologize and enthusiastically participate in an honest discussion about Windows Phone's faults.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
WP7 let you have, what, two tile sizes? People complained, they listened, now on WP8 you have three tile sizes. Here's the deal, though, and why I think your "suggestion" is laughable: no other phone OS has resizable tiles on the home screen at all. You can resize widgets on Android, and create groups on iPhone, but if you want your "Email" app on either to be the size of four regular icons, you're SOL. And you complain because *clutches pearls* you have to cycle through three sizes to find the one you want?

...really, dude? I mean, come on, you can't be serious.

Tim, I think you still miss the point about the tile resize suggestion. If the OS design philosophy is glance and go, easier to use, why not have the extra arrow on the opposite diagonal from where the one they added to resize is? That way you get to the size you want faster, in one less step. That's all. No one was using it as the be and end here.

That's my point...i really wonder who the **** MSFT had in some of those focus groups. Yes, the OS as is can land many new users, but as Apple's older tech hits new markets but remains well supported and Android's tech gets pushed down into the ultra competitive mid range, MSFT has to emphasize one of its selling points with the OS...ease of use by design by adding in more features that make sense faster. There are many subtle tweaks WP can receive to mature it faster.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No one said the resizing tile option was the SOLE reason why WP8 adoption was slow. Get a grip and actually read for a change.

I never said it was, that's just the one I used as an example. That said, pretty much everything you put forth in your initial post as "making adoption harder" is, in fact, laughable. There certainly are issues with the OS which contribute to WP's slow adoption, but they're actually issues.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thread gets started about what is wrong with WP. Thread has same complaints that have been hashed out over and over. OP swears he's not a troll but serious. People dispute the complaints. OP stays the course. Balls comes in and calls people fanboys and generally serves no purpose. People still dispute. OP starts to get testy in his responses.

Rinse, lather, repeat. It's good to see people sticking with a proven formula.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so then tell me. How does complaining HERE contribute to getting what you want from Microsoft?

I don't see the path. If you can logically explain to me how starting this thread will get you to the "promised land" of the changes and features you want, I'll apologize and enthusiastically participate in an honest discussion about Windows Phone's faults.
Well, where not better to get a sense of whether or not what I'm experiencing with what I see in the OS is clear or not, or if other sharp people have seen some of the dame things or not than in my opinion one of the two leading forums when it comes to WP?

Ultimately, I was curious to see if people had seem some of the other things I did, then to see if I need to go write an app or do something else about it. The app issues is well documented, and I'm not here to flog that horse. Based on my usage of the platform and having used iOS and Android at similar levels in their cycle, and given how unforgiving the marketplace is right now, I feel that WP8 should have felt more polished at launch. As a WP user, I know it is different from WP7, and clearly better. But it is much harder to make that distinction to other non WP users who have their mind share rented out by the Apples and Androids of the world. Trust me,I shows my WP off proudly in that I can clearly say why this works for me.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Tim, I think you still miss the point about the tile resize suggestion. If the OS design philosophy is glance and go, easier to use, why not have the extra arrow on the opposite diagonal from where the one they added to resize is?

Because... they had to prioritize that against the laundry list of other things to do and it didn't make the cut? Because the staggering amounts of money they spent on focus groups didn't reveal a need for it? Because the developer working on that feature was in the hospital for a few weeks?

There are thousands of reasons. But since you seem to know exactly what is needed, I'll look forward to MSFTisMIA's mobile phone operating system.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
dAXTc.gif

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The answer is simple, OP... if Microsoft's approach doesn't work for you, use something else.

I advise everyone to pick the OS that works best for them -- out of interest for them being happy, as well as self-interest.

"Self-interest?" you ask.

Yes, self-interest. You see, I use WP because of the UI and consistent style. If Microsoft was to listen to Android and iOS refugees and implement every feature they "miss" from their old-fashioned previous OSes, it would make Windows Phone horrible.

WP would regress to Atari-style desktop-sync cables and iTunes-like software. Blech. It would have seven different volume levels instead of a consistent, logical, single volume control. It would have "customization of the desktop" that would slow down everything and lead to more system compatibility issues and UI issues. It would add all sorts of eye candy that adds nothing to the experience and removes the "authentically digital" UI. It would dumb down certain elements while tarting up other elements.

I don't want that.

If you want a phone that has 47 different controls to resize widgets, allows customization of the system font and desktop, allows you to put photos of Paris Hilton as "wallpaper" on the desktop, and has separate volume settings for every application, sound type and time of day, Android already exists. Go use it. :p

bigpulve

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You can make a playlist on the phone.

Add all the songs you want to now playing. Then go into now playing, press the dots, save as playlist, name it and you're done

fusioncept

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Do I need to hold up a sign that says "Don't feed the troll."?

My gosh, even if he is complaining about WP8, his points are not even what is wrong with WP8. I'm with you SocialCarpet.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Thread gets started about what is wrong with WP. Thread has same complaints that have been hashed out over and over. OP swears he's not a troll but serious. People dispute the complaints. OP stays the course. Balls comes in and calls people fanboys and generally serves no purpose. People still dispute. OP starts to get testy in his responses.

Rinse, lather, repeat. It's good to see people sticking with a proven formula.

Best comment ever. :)

But hey, it's the internets. People love to ***** and moan about the same things over and over. It's all in good fun, so why not? We love our gadgets, but at the end of the day that's all they are - toys. And we boys will always love our toys (apologies to all the ladiees in da houuse ;)).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Because... they had to prioritize that against the laundry list of other things to do and it didn't make the cut? Because the staggering amounts of money they spent on focus groups didn't reveal a need for it? Because the developer working on that feature was in the hospital for a few weeks?

There are thousands of reasons. But since you seem to know exactly what is needed, I'll look forward to MSFTisMIA's mobile phone operating system.

See, i was on board with you until the comment at the end there. Much of these known issues could have been corrected before launch, especially since it was a known issue that WP8 was in the works not long after the WP7 launch. Again, the best thing they did was redo the kernel, which in theory should facilitate many of the common things the multitude of users are asking for as improvements. For instance, you could potentially add notification center style elements and strengthen the principles of the UI without going the Android and iOS route. remember, end users won't see the full benefits until apps take advantage of WP8.

No **** MSFT has to prioritize stuff. They are picking the hardest route...the middle line between an open and moddable OS and a completely closed "you get what we want you to use" OS like Apple. Again, everything I've said, and some of the known issues that are other there are correctable over time. But all I said that with some of these known issues MSFT had an opportunity to address them at a major hardware and software launch and missed the boat.

Again, for all the people who say "pick the OS that works for them" stick, I picked the one that works for me, and I'm making comments about what I think are areas for improvement, just like others have. I'm not posting for approval. I'm posting to see if what I see is worth investing the time in developing for the platform to try and fix issues, and maybe get a dollar out of it. After all, is MSFT is in the business of making money....

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Best comment ever. :)

But hey, it's the internets. People love to ***** and moan about the same things over and over. It's all in good fun, so why not? We love our gadgets, but at the end of the day that's all they are - toys. And we boys will always love our toys (apologies to all the ladiees in da houuse ;)).

Truer words have never been spoken. People just need to remember to have a little fun in between the *****ing and moaning.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Everyday I read a post on these forums that exemplifies part of the problem with society in 2012. Yesterday it was someones irrational sense of importance and today this. Dude, its not all about you. You don't get everything you want, just like you want it, when you want it. That's not how the world works. Now put on your big boy britches, quit your whining and get out there and be productive. Geez!
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

Well, clearly I know it's not all about me..if I did, I wouldn't have posted here. Again, no one came in here riding on some white horse with all the answers. Clearly, on any platform not all developers play equal and will utilize the OS to its full potential. Clearly, not every developer works to make money off the platform either. Clearly, MSFT doesn't have infinite resources and has to prioritize stuff that gets baked into each update of the OS. Clearly, if they put everything in that people wanted, the OS would become convoluted. Clearly I walked into a bar with very smart people and no rabid WP fans present who knew that you had to phrase your comment in a placating way in order for your point to come across and i forgot to ask for the secret password nicely. After all, when posting on a public forum people will pick and choose what they want to say.

My big boy pants told me to come here and see if making a post here or two for a potential area in the platform is worth my time and investment. Obviously, with such a helpful reminder "that it isn't all about you", I've come to the right place for knowledge and enlightenment. Feel free to drop more "jewels of wisdom" like that on me and my 1 thread post outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos