Does the browser have a FileReader API?

Philippe Maes

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm writing a web application for my thesis. I'm a electrical and software engineer.
For my web application to work on Windows Phone I need the browser to let me select images from the phone's gallery or take a picture (not necessary) with the <input type="file" /> field.
My web application works on iPhone and Android browsers but I would like to support Windows Phone.

Can someone try if you can select images on Masterproef: Arc3D?
Thx!

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You're better off posting developer questions over at MSDN, where there's an official forum for WP8 development as well as other Microsoft platforms.

Windows Phone Development Category

But to try to answer your question: Last I recall, the IE10 mobile browser does not support file uploads. It shares the same rendering engine as Windows 8's IE10 but there are a few differences. This is likely because the OS handles file pickers. For instance, selecting a photo to upload on Facebook on Windows 8 will launch a File Picker (replacement for older Windows 'Browse Files' dialog). Trying to do the same does nothing on WP8. There's no generic file picker on WP8 so the browser can't ask the OS to bring that up. The PhotoPickerTask is the closest but that's probably designed specifically for photos and to be called by the API.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo