A full week with the 920, pros vs cons.

1LottoStud

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So I decided to give the Lumia 920 a try instead of upgrading to the iphone 5. The 19.99 deal amazon had running with their 30 day return policy, what the heck! I did a little homework before I made the switch to see what apps they have and/or suitable alternatives and figured I should be alright.
Pros:
The modern UI is what I believe the future of mobile will look like, MS hit a home run with live tiles, sooner or later Apple & Android will have to implement something similar.
The design of the black nokia is sexy as **** and blows away the black iphone 5 imho.
Nokia and MS stock apps are gorgeous and pleasant to use.
Camera is great especially taking videos.
Love the ability to customize the way I want

Cons:
Mail just sucks, this was a surprise. No alternatives
The twitter apps pale is comparison to whats available on ios.
I knew Flipboard wasn't available, but was told a good alternative is Weave. Unfortunately this isn't the case for me.
I use Readability a lot and could not find a good alternative. There's an app called read it later, but it doesn't have the option to change from the black back round, so I don't even bother with it.

So that's it for now, I really wanted to like this device and make the transition away from ios, but in every situation while i'm in my house I just reach for my iPad. My Lumia just sits there and gets very little use if I have my iPad nearby. Still not sure if i'm going to return it or not.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I got the 920 to replace an iPhone 3gs. And, while I have many criticisms of the 920, I am having the opposite experience from you. I find that I need to pick up my laptop less and less. And my iPad now gets used only for a Sonos controller.

The 920 is far from perfect and I hope MS continues to make improvements (especially to native mail, calendar, and contacts apps), but the large beautiful screen and desktop mode of IE 10 make the 920 my most used piece of technology right now.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Cons:
Mail just sucks, this was a surprise. No alternatives
The twitter apps pale is comparison to whats available on ios.
I knew Flipboard wasn't available, but was told a good alternative is Weave. Unfortunately this isn't the case for me.
I use Readability a lot and could not find a good alternative. There's an app called read it later, but it doesn't have the option to change from the black back round, so I don't even bother with it.

So that's it for now, I really wanted to like this device and make the transition away from ios, but in every situation while i'm in my house I just reach for my iPad. My Lumia just sits there and gets very little use if I have my iPad nearby. Still not sure if i'm going to return it or not.

But... That's just four apps... :shocked:

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
In all fairness, it's natural to gravitate to something familiar. In time (assuming you keep the 920), you'll find yourself using the phone more and more. At least, that was my experience.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
See I'm finding the mail app works fine for my needs. I have 5 different mail accounts being used in it and all sync fine. My biggest issue was having to export all my contacts onto Live and my calendar but that was an inconvenient 5 minutes. What issues are you having with mail?

Also what Twitter apps have you used? I might be in a different position because the official Twitter app was all I used on iOS, but that sucks massively on WP8. MeTweets is very good though.

1LottoStud

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
right that was my thinking, but flipboard, readability, twitter and e-mail is what I spend prob. 90% of my time doing. I never considered that.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you want something that runs like iOS, get iOS. WP treats things differently. I really like the way WP8 integrates Facebook and twitter with my contacts. And email isn't great, but works. I bought the 920 and liked it. I upgraded from a skyrocket. When I had to get a warranty replacement due to software problems, I had to go back to the skyrocket for a few days. I didn't realize how much better I liked the 920 until it was taken away. I have the new one now and don't want to go back again.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
After switching from an iPhone 4 to 920 when it launched it was kind of the same for me. The first two weeks or so I was really liking the 920 but kept using my iPhone 4 as well for certain things. After a bit I was kind of regretting the switch. But after spending more time with it I've gotten use to the phone and barely touch the iPhone now. It does take a while to adjust and for certain features/apps you'll just need to wait and see how well the WP ecosystem picks up but if there are a certain few apps that are only available on iOS that you can't work around with using WP8 apps it might be better to stick with iOS. No use keeping a smartphone that doesn't cater to your needs.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What are your problems with Mail?
+1

I want to know answer to this too.

Also - Rowi, Gleek!, Cowlick! - show me one twitter app on iOS that beats any of these esp Gleek!

Weave doesn't do it for you fair enough. Never did Flipboard so I wouldn't know. But expand on that please? Would be interested to know.

Black background didn't sail your boat with Read it later? Did you try alternatives?

I think if you keep going back to iPad, there is a hint there.

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
+1

I want to know answer to this too.

Also - Rowi, Gleek!, Cowlick! - show me one twitter app on iOS that beats any of these esp Gleek!

Weave doesn't do it for you fair enough. Never did Flipboard so I wouldn't know. But expand on that please? Would be interested to know.

Black background didn't sail your boat with Read it later? Did you try alternatives?

I think if you keep going back to iPad, there is a hint there.

I personally LOVE Mehdoh, the twitter client. Or Rowi. Gleek is nice too.

I have no experience in the reading thing, gotta be honest.

And Weave is great! One of the few apps, imo, that actually take advantage of the tools provided by Microsoft.

Personally, I have had every OS at some point, and (in my case) wp7 is by far my favorite. I can't wait to get my wp8 phone soon

dabdoub81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree IE is realy good but missing the ability to open the tab in the background , and easy managing of the tabs ,wish there are hidden tabs on the top of the browser !

wish there is files manager for the files that I receive through bluetooth so I can keep not supported format .

need more flexibility with the home screen like the ability of having background image !

wish there are fast integrated tile for turning on and off the bluetooth and wifi etc ..

these are some of my wishes , tell me if needed more :excited:

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree IE is realy good but missing the ability to open the tab in the background , and easy managing of the tabs ,wish there are hidden tabs on the top of the browser !

wish there is files manager for the files that I receive through bluetooth so I can keep not supported format .

need more flexibility with the home screen like the ability of having background image !

wish there are fast integrated tile for turning on and off the bluetooth and wifi etc ..

these are some of my wishes , tell me if needed more :excited:

agreed. Would love a toggle option on WiFi and such. Network Dashboard works well, but it would be nice to have a simple toggle...

And file manager would be SWEET. That way, it would be more like a desktop

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte