Instagram Replacement

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I did not start this thread to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of Instagram as an app, a social platform, or as a method of growth for WP. Instead I want to get opinions on a valid Instagram replacement app on WP8; personally, I enjoyed Instagram on my iPhone. I liked flipping through nothing but photos and being able to comment on them and like them. I also liked flowing through the photos I'd taken and seeing people's comments and likes on them.

So an Instagram replacement would need the ability to take, possibly edit, and upload pictures (the edit part is negotiable; while the camera itself doesn't have filters, it does have basic cropping and color correction, so I'm OK there). It needs the ability to allow me to scroll through photos uploaded by other users, and it would allow for comments on my own pictures and other's pictures I scroll through. Cross-posting would be cool, but I'm not looking for something that only posts to other networks (so, like, Lomogram is out; it's got great filters, but it doesn't have it's own network and doesn't allow for comments within itself.)

Near as I can figure, that limits me to Flickr (which has a fairly decent app even though it hasn't been updated for WP8) and Tumblr (which has a couple of apps in the Marketplace, Blueprints being ostensibly the highest rated and best, and the app with which I'm familiar.)

Pros and cons of each:
Flickr is specifically for photos and given that they just made the iOS app more Instagram-like, there's a chance (however small) that the WP app will be similarly updated. However, there's no cross-posting, and free users are limited to 200 pics in your feed at a time. Unlimited use costs $25/year.
Tumblr is more blog-like and allows for non-photo posts as well. It allows for cross-posting, but doesn't have an "official" app.

So, what are the WP Central user's thoughts? I'd love to hear your choice between the two, or about other apps which meet the requirements above.

Edit: Yikes, I forgot about Fhotoroom, which is an almost drop-in Instagram replacement. It's a nice app with a good app and crossposting, but I'm the *only* WP user in my circle of friends and it's *only* available for WP.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Idk what the hype is about instagram, but I use Facebook. >_> Take pic, edit/correct (with MANY great apps with Lense Feature), and use share button for quick upload. Alot of people will see it and like it, and as for searching for photos, Facebook also has a huge abundance of photos.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I like Fhotoroom as well. But no one I know has a WP making it useless to suggest as an alternative (which I don't know if I would anyways). Fhotoroom also doesn't have Snoop Lion, lol

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
this was posted in September, and the ios and android app have been released, so I'm sure its only a matter of time for the wp8 app to come out. I believe I read on their twitter that it would be out by early q1 2013.

Interesting. I'll keep my eye on it. I absolutely hate the "voice" they use on their blog, however. "MOLO feel that it is such a very long happy time being with you all"... ugh.

zombiegrrl86

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I'll keep my eye on it. I absolutely hate the "voice" they use on their blog, however. "MOLO feel that it is such a very long happy time being with you all"... ugh.

Lol yeah thats true. It does seem like its going to be the best option for an instagram replacement though, since its multi-platform.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Ok, that's good info. I hope they do update the app, though... the new Flickr iOS app is pretty damned awesome.

(Not starting a debate, just saying.)

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I know a couple of people at Yahoo... Marissa Mayer, the new CEO, is pushing iOS, Android and WP8 as the key mobile platforms. I'd imagine we'll see an update.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Why do you need the app to have its own user environment, why not post to the user environments you already have? Lomogram is fantastic and uses the networks I already have and use.

Also, if you are open to Flickr, Lomogram uses Flickr (among other services)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077