Nokia Maps disturbing lack of support!

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I love my Nokia Phone but I have to say the Nokia Maps portion is just so under delivered that it is just plain aggravating to use. I'm the kind of person that believes that we should help software developers make there products better. I really want to make Nokia Maps a better product by adding in POI.... unfortunately I am unable to do that.
Let me go over the first of many, many, many problems with doing so.
I live in Vancouver Washington and if you search for this address on Nokia Maps: 11310 NE 119th St. Vancouver, WA 98662 it will take you to a grocery store called Winco. In fact a very cool feature of this is that you can see the internal map data of the grocery store. However if I type in the name of the grocery store it won't find it....at all. It will find a few of them but not all of them.

So like a good little user I want to report this. I mean surely if they have internal building data then they must have just forgot to add Winco as a POI.
If you go to the ... at the bottom of the screen you are greeted with the about option which takes you to a page where you can select the "Report a Place" option. Instead of being greeted with the ability to do this you are greeted with a screen that tells you to go to maps.nokia.com (not the mobile browser, because that just won't work) and Report the place there. You do this by searching for the place you are looking for then selecting more info and reporting it. Well this is inaccurate on multiple parts.
1. Maps.nokia.com redirects you to Here.com.
2. You can't search for the place because THEY DON'T HAVE IT LISTED!
3. Even if you go to the place on the map by typing in the address the More Info option isn't there. It only shows up for already placed POI.
4. The Report a Place should really be called "Report a Problem" option because it's really for removing data not adding data.
Nokia does have a community feature that lets you add content for all to see but it doesn't work for my area (maybe USA) and it seems like nobody uses it.
The FAQ/Help section doesn't seem to explain how to report any new POI.
I have resorted to reporting to NAVTEQ directly but the funny thing is they have most of the POI that I wanted to add but Nokia didn't put them on there maps!
I've never seen a company try so hard to stifle a product from becoming better.

By the way I'm just using Winco as an example. I have many more important POI that are in Portland OR that are just not there that I really wanted to add in.

This frustration has been brewing for about 3 weeks now. I've tried to send updates through Navteq, Nokia, the feedback portion of the app, and Nokia Maps forums.... Nothing in the way of feedback.

There I'm done with my rant.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, Nokia Maps is a huge step backwards. It reminds me of my handheld Garmin eMap from 15 years ago. What POI data it had is what it had and you dealt with it. Although the eMap did do better routing than Nokia Maps does.

-E

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
There are likely millions of people all over the world, all doing exactly the same as you, do they have time to make a personal response to everyone doing these reports? If they are making personal responses to all these millions of reports, what better use of their time could they be doing?

Lets also not forget, they will likely do these things in batches, so once a week, once a month, once every couple of months they'll do big updates, rather than millions of tiny personal updates.

Having looked through the various complaints about WP7/8 mapping, i expect Nokia are rushed off their feet with major issues.

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
There are likely millions of people all over the world, all doing exactly the same as you, do they have time to make a personal response to everyone doing these reports? If they are making personal responses to all these millions of reports, what better use of their time could they be doing?

Lets also not forget, they will likely do these things in batches, so once a week, once a month, once every couple of months they'll do big updates, rather than millions of tiny personal updates.

Having looked through the various complaints about WP7/8 mapping, i expect Nokia are rushed off their feet with major issues.

I don't think you understand... I'm not looking to talk with Nokia about the POI's. I'm looking for a system to use to report the problems.
Again I'm trying to make this product better. Feedback could be something as simple as an automated email response saying that my 'findings' have been submitted for approval.
Google and Bing both do this.

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I got scared a few times traveling using the Nokia Maps as it just didn't feel as safe with the directions so I switched back to my trusty Navigon! I think Navigon is a far superior navigation app then anything else on the windows phone... When I would come up to a multiple expressway turn offs I didn't like how Nokia Maps showed what way to go was a bit to small or confusing to me.. The map service might have updated a bit since then but at the time it was too much for me to look at it and drive...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I got scared a few times traveling using the Nokia Maps as it just didn't feel as safe with the directions so I switched back to my trusty Navigon! I think Navigon is a far superior navigation app then anything else on the windows phone... When I would come up to a multiple expressway turn offs I didn't like how Nokia Maps showed what way to go was a bit to small or confusing to me.. The map service might have updated a bit since then but at the time it was too much for me to look at it and drive...

Erm, don't Nokia own Navigon?

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Agreed.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I have no problem using Nokia Maps or Drive what so ever. Got me to the right places, find me the right POI all the time
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Google manages.

-E

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't like Nokia Maps at all, in my city it does not show the correct position for alot of streets/houses so gMaps is way better in that area.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, in areas that don't have a lot of road construction or business churn, decade-old POI and road data will work. In areas where businesses open, close, and move almost daily, and roads are built and/or realigned seemingly nonstop, Nokia's offering is not state-of-the-art. Maintaining up-to-date map and POI data for the entire world is a massive, massive, massive undertaking.

-E

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon