Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
Like Tree96Likes

Global Posts
    32,427 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    You see, lots of us use our phones for real work... especially e-mail. And I absolutely loathe those typo-riddled e-mails I get from colleagues with Android and iOS devices that have incorrect words in them due to autocorrect failures, with a signature that says "don't blame me for the typos, sent this from my cell phone." I want accuracy.

And while the WP onscreen keyboard is much better than the Android or iOS ones, it's still a compromise. A poor experience.

Remember -- user experience is king. For those of us who use our phone as a tool for work, we want accuracy, always.
    Yes, it is true that many people use smartphones for work. Many people also use computers for work.

However, I believe that the smartphone (and tablet) are getting to the point where the PC already has gotten. Most people do not use smartphones/tablets/PCs for work. Content consumption is more popular than content creation. Games and social media are more popular than productivity apps. This report is 2 years old. Even back in 2010, productivity was low on the list. Here is another report from 2011.
    Thanked by:
    AKA Preluva likes this.

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    Great post Laura!
    Thanked by:
    WP8 aps should work on Win8Pro (emulator) and also RT (translator)
    Read my idea 'ClonePhone'.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Content consumption is more popular than content creation. Games and social media are more popular than productivity apps.
    True. Most people want to be entertained, not communicate.

But that doesn't mean that there's "no market" for productivity phones, or indeed, phones with keyboards.

Frankly, if the industry believes that productivity is low on the list and an irrelevant application, they should remove all Exchange, PDF view and document edit functions from their devices, and sell them purely as Netflix/Facebook/Xbox phones. (And the first vendor to do that will be slaughtered).

Secondly, most people who work in an office or professional environment have a no-compromises "will this phone work with our e-mail at work" requirement.

Thirdly, Nielsen asks people what they intend to do with their devices, not necessarily what applications will become the most important. In 2007, the idea of smartphones as a device for consuming content and not getting work done would have been absurd under such a methodology.

Finally, as Windows Phone World, we're in last place in the smartphone race. We should approach the market with humility and win by offering the most flexible product lineup. Microsoft didn't win in PCs by telling people that Windows is "only for productivity" or "only for games" or "only for desktops." They won by making it good at EVERYTHING. The current trend in Windows Phone World towards apologizing for things like thickness, heaviness, no removable SD storage, no hardware keyboards, etc. violates that tradition and does us no favors as the last-place contender.
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    The only people that DON'T believe Nokia is on it's way out the door are those that like them! The entire Lumia line is lame and they continue to put far too much emphasis on the camera, as if the masses care about that small feature. Now if MS (or even Nokia) was smart they would get on making a Surface Phon-let! ;)

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preluva View Post
    The only people that DON'T believe Nokia is on it's way out the door are those that like them! The entire Lumia line is lame and they continue to put far too much emphasis on the camera, as if the masses care about that small feature. Now if MS (or even Nokia) was smart they would get on making a Surface Phon-let! ;)
    must....not....feed the.....troll.....
    Thanked by:
    dogfish54 and AngryNil like this.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Because it's expensive for them to make, and most smartphones are essentially portable video gaming and movie watching devices.
    Oh, so it's "expensive" and irrelevant? Sounds exactly like what I was saying - niche.

Here's a mission. Grab a 920, and grab an 8X. Take them to a user, ask them which they'd rather use every day. Most will choose the 8X.
    You still willing to bet that the 8X will outsell the 920? I haven't seen any reason to budge on my stance that the 920 will clearly win.

How are Windows Phones selling relative to non-Windows Phones? See, nobody wants a Windows Phone! (Bad logic leads to really bad logic).
    Both platforms are considered to be doing extremely poorly, why are you using that comparison to state BB has relevance? People are aware of the BlackBerry form factor, the majority of consumers are not buying them. Most people don't have a proper understanding of Windows Phone, so it's not even a consideration. And, yes, to an extent, nobody wants Windows Phone at the moment. I'm not sure why you continually compare BB and WP sales.

You would be able to type perfectly fine on the Lumia 920 if it was your device and you used it for a few days. Similarly, I'd perhaps get used to the ridiculous hardware buttons on the 8X. What's the argument for thickness? That it's fine if it's only thick in one spot? What? Why does that matter? I'm calling quits on this argument, you draw completely invalid parallels then somehow convince yourself that your argument is valid. The 3GS is perfectly fine for people to hold in 2012, it's nothing like a 1994 Atari vs modern computers. Inane hyperbole isn't persuasive, it's pathetic.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preluva View Post
    that small feature that every study has shown to be the number 1 feature people care about........there is a reason there are now android cameras and instagram became so popular THE CAMERA
    This thread has run it's course
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678