Battery Saver is turning off my WiFi, never noticed this before last update......

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
anyone else noticing this, I am not a fan of this new "feature"

It never used to do this, when battery saver is on it turns off my wifi on my Lumia 920.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I've never noticed it disable my WiFi before, maybe because of the new keep my WiFi connected feature this was added to "battery saver"?

Its possible I maybe overlooked this, but 3 years of windows phone use makes this quite hard to believe.

Last edited:

Laceym

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Prior to the update my wifi was not turned off by battery saver while I was using it. After the update it turns it off. I have now disabled battery saver so I don't accidentally start using cell data instead of wifi and go over my data limit.

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Weird. I just turned battery saver on and my Wi-Fi stays on with it enabled, just like it did before, and I am updated to Portico.

Must be a pre portico bug then. I have an unlimited data plan so this wouldn't affect me plus my T-mobile 4G is just as fast as my Comcast WiFi so I just use that. Also people enable battery saver when they're on a mobile network away from a source of power anyway.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Prior to the update my wifi was not turned off by battery saver while I was using it. After the update it turns it off. I have now disabled battery saver so I don't accidentally start using cell data instead of wifi and go over my data limit.

yea this sucks, battery saver off for me now too :(

WOAHesco

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine stays on even when i turn on battery saver..

Rgardless, you are able to manually turn on your wifi when using battery saver.... .. . I don't see what the problem is.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine stays on even when i turn on battery saver..

Rgardless, you are able to manually turn on your wifi when using battery saver.... .. . I don't see what the problem is.
when I turn on WiFi, it turns off automatically. I can literally watch the switch move from on to off all by itself.

The big deal is not being able to use WiFi at all when battery saver is on

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
OP, are you saying that your battery is charged sufficiently and that if you turn on battery saver it turns off your wifi? Because mine doesn't. But I suspect that when your battery is low wifi is one of the things it turns off in order to conserve battery. I think the only things it leaves of is the ability to make and receive calls and texts.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
OP, are you saying that your battery is charged sufficiently and that if you turn on battery saver it turns off your wifi? Because mine doesn't. But I suspect that when your battery is low wifi is one of the things it turns off in order to conserve battery. I think the only things it leaves of is the ability to make and receive calls and texts.
When my battery is low and battery saver kkicks on, it disables WiFi, it never use to do this before though :/

lumia920fan

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
same here....some developer is not getting paid right ..... :grin:

update:
noticed one more thing....if I restart the phone, Wifi works in the battery saver mode... this is not good... this is happening only after the PORTICO update...

Last edited:

TheXFather

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
This is what happens to my phone:
If i am connected to a network and i turn on Battery saver nothing is changed.
I remain connected to it and it's always been like this since i bought my phone (2 updates ago, 20 dec).
I think, battery saver just shuts down the search for a wifi, which is pretty normal if u ask me, since the search wifi stuff drains a whole lot of battery.

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I ran into this last night. It had me scratching my head. I'd switch wifi on and it would turn right off again. I finally turned off battery saver and sure enough, I could enable wifi. I then went back and turned on the battery saver and about 5 min later, it switched off my wifi again. It definitely didn't do this before Portico. While I'd rather it not do this, I guess it's not that big a deal now that I know what is going on.

chall3ng3r

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me as well on my Lumia 820 (Developer Device) with Portico update. Before the Portico update, WiFi kept on when I used IE to browse. But then WiFi would always disconnect on screen lock.

Now on Portico, I have enabled WiFi always on which works pretty good for notifications at least.

What I think, in Portico update, it should work like as following:
  • When WiFi is set to always on, keep it on when not in battery saver mode
  • When battery is low, battery saver mode turns on, and it should turn off WiFi when display is off as well, but connect WiFi after 30 minutes intervals for notifications and updates
  • Now when user turns on the display in battery saver mode, it should connect to WiFi, and let user do the browsing or other internet activity on WiFi. When screen goes off again, it should turn off WiFi
  • After phone is charges back again, the usual WiFi always on gets back.

I think its a bug, and I have already sent it from "send feedback" option on my phone to Nokia. Hopefully they will look into it and ask MS to fix it in next update.

// chall3ng3r //

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Windows 7 and 7.5 with battery saver on and battery gets below the treshold my devices always switched wifi and bluetooth off. It says that it does that in the infor on my L900 and essentially the same in the language on my 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium