Was turn by turn nav dropped by every phone except Lumia devices?

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I was puzzled when I opened up my "maps" app on my 8x and noticed that when you search for directions, you just get a list and not the voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation. This was frustrating as I was already on the road at the time and had to keep glancing down at my phone. I thought every phone was supposed to have access to that functionality?

onlywaytomo

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, imo this is the biggest issue with wp8. They took away a useful free native feature that everyone had and made it exclusive for Nokia. Extremely frustrating and stupid.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Basically yes but there are apps you can buy that has turn by turn like Navigon. All Windows phones will get Nokia drive eventually but when this will happen hasn't been announced.

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay thanks. Also for the record my 8X did come with a telenav app but I'd hate to have to use it. The native map application worked just fine on my old HD7 and this was such a huge step back.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
so, you have telenav, but just don't use it? That's not the same as there isn't one? I use turn by turn often, so I'm trying to clarify, it will influence which phone I end up getting (pretty sure I'm going WP when my contract is up)

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
This was frustrating as I was already on the road at the time and had to keep glancing down at my phone.

Don't glance down at it, hold it in your hand and tap it so you hear the audio cues while you're driving.

On the other hand Telenav, in my opinion, beats out Bing Maps only because it tells you which side of the street your destination is at; that's one thing I wish Bing maps would do.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't glance down at it, hold it in your hand and tap it so you hear the audio cues while you're driving.

On the other hand Telenav, in my opinion, beats out Bing Maps only because it tells you which side of the street your destination is at; that's one thing I wish Bing maps would do.

Nokia maps doesn'thave audio cues, even if you tap the screen. I do agree that they should have left that feature for non Nokia devices as an interim until they push out Nokia Drive for all WP8 devices.

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
so, you have telenav, but just don't use it? That's not the same as there isn't one? I use turn by turn often, so I'm trying to clarify, it will influence which phone I end up getting (pretty sure I'm going WP when my contract is up)

Telenav (It's the "Scout by Telenav" app now on my Tmobile 8X) is free for a certain time, but then requires a subscription and it generally isn't worth the money in relative comparison to the always free bing maps nav.

In response to the user mentioning the audio cues (sorry, I'm posting from my phone): On Nokia maps there are none. You put in your destination and it hands you a list of directions without any option for turn-by-turn (which I believe is in the Nokia exclusive "drive" app), so you have to keep looking down to see where to go as well as to refresh your current location. It's highly frustrating, a huge safety risk, and I can't imagine why Microsoft would punish users with that type of downgrade when upgrading the WP8.

Last edited:

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
In response to the user mentioning the audio cues (sorry, I'm posting from my phone): On Nokia maps there are none. You put in your destination and it hands you a list of directions without any option for turn-by-turn (which I believe is in the Nokia exclusive "drive" app), so you have to keep looking down to see where to go as well as to refresh your current location. It's highly frustrating, a huge safety risk, and I can't imagine why Microsoft would punish users with that type of downgrade when upgrading the WP8.

Interesting, I wasn't aware they changed it so dramatically like that. Still on 7.5 that's why. So Bing maps is now Nokia maps?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I thought that all WP8 devices from all manufacturers could download Nokia Drive (but that Nokia Drive+ was an exclusive for Nokia-branded devices). I also thought that Nokia Drive was where turn-by-turn came from in WP8. Are either of these things true?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, Nokia is offering their Drive application to all OEMs and it's up to the OEM if they want to install it.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
This seems to be an extremely misunderstood topic. I am not going to help a lot here, but I've said on many other threads that I wouldn't expect voice guided turn-by-turn on other manufacturers; not unless they pay Nokia. I'm not sure if Microsoft was going to pay the license fees and haven't or what, but it's not coming without someone paying.

Nokia provide maps for Garmin and Navigon, I imagine their execs had some things to say when they heard Nokia would give away a mobile navigation app for free to HTC, while charging them (a long-time customer).

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I was puzzled when I opened up my "maps" app on my 8x and noticed that when you search for directions, you just get a list and not the voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation. This was frustrating as I was already on the road at the time and had to keep glancing down at my phone. I thought every phone was supposed to have access to that functionality?

There is an app called Maps in the store, that's Bing Maps which should give you turn by turn nav as WP7.5

larlaffer

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll check that app out, thanks. I've been looking to get voice turn-by-turn on my 8x for a while with no luck. I don't quite get why they backwards with this feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon