On Constant Wi-Fi, why is AT&T charging data?

alex2364

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My Nokia 920 has the Portico update and it's been on constant Wi-Fi for the last 2 days. I just checked my data usage and it's still used 8 MB for those days. Anyone know why?

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
first: at&t won't charge usage if connected to wifi. UNLESS you are using your device as a hotspot.
second: because you are using wifi to transfer data, it's showing the 8meg.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I believe that all carriers charge the data contract price per month whether you use any carrier data at all. That's why the contract is priced as it is. As for incremental data use while on WiFi, it's probably something that needs data but can't get it from WiFi. that;s my best guess.

VDubb22

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think AT&T counts MMS against data since MMS falls under unlimited messaging. I know Verizon and T-Mobile handles MMS like that, so I assume AT&T does the same since it would be false advertisement otherwise.

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Your wifi shuts off shortly after the screen times out, and the phone reverts back to cell data for things like email and social network updates.

Part of the Portico update is to allow the option for constant-on wifi just like the other OS's have had for a couple years.

Are you sure that option is selected?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb