Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

My Nokia 920 has the Portico update and it's been on constant Wi-Fi for the last 2 days. I just checked my data usage and it's still used 8 MB for those days. Anyone know why?

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    first: at&t won't charge usage if connected to wifi. UNLESS you are using your device as a hotspot.
    second: because you are using wifi to transfer data, it's showing the 8meg.
    ~gabriel

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I believe that all carriers charge the data contract price per month whether you use any carrier data at all. That's why the contract is priced as it is. As for incremental data use while on WiFi, it's probably something that needs data but can't get it from WiFi. that;s my best guess.

Pic messages, times you're not actually in a WiFi area are the best bet. Pic texts only go over cellular data.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com

Global Posts
    863 Global Posts
    There are a lot of little things that will use cellular only data even when you are on wifi, mms is the biggest offender.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I don't think AT&T counts MMS against data since MMS falls under unlimited messaging. I know Verizon and T-Mobile handles MMS like that, so I assume AT&T does the same since it would be false advertisement otherwise.

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Your wifi shuts off shortly after the screen times out, and the phone reverts back to cell data for things like email and social network updates.

Part of the Portico update is to allow the option for constant-on wifi just like the other OS's have had for a couple years.

Are you sure that option is selected?
    I carry a fleet!
    AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Lumia 900
    HTC 8X
    iPhone 4S

Now featuring more Sprint!
    HTC EVO 4G LTE

How's that for a geek pathology!