Would you pay full price for Nokia 822

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at buying a Nokia 822 off contract for full price somewhere around $440. What do you all think? Is the phone worth it? How does it compare to the 8x? How is the picture quality of the camera?

edfungus

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Unless you aren't in for a upgrade it doesn't seem worth it since you would be paying same monthly price... now prepaid would be a different story

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The 822 from Verizon and the 920 from AT&T are priced the same off contract. To me, the 822 is not near the phone as the 920. I know, I bought one off contract from Verizon and took it back and bought the 920. I did not buy from AT&T but found one on eBay for about 60 less than the AT&T price. It was new and came with the free charge plate.

So to answer your question, I would not buy at 449. In the Phoenix are, you can get the 822 off contract through Craig's List for about 325 - 350; much better deal.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I never purchase a phone outright. I find it hard to justify several hundred dollars for a cell phone. Guess I'm just a tight-wad in that sense. But, you may be in a different financial situation than me. I've only taken one photo with my 822 so far and I've never compared the 8X to the 822. I think it boils down to whether or not you like the 822 or 8X. Also think about it this way. You're comparing cell phone cameras. I can't get too excited about the quality of my camera. I would rather it perform flawlessly as a phone, texting, info resource, etc. before I worry about the camera. If it takes good pics along the way, I think of that as a perk. If I need something to take great photos, I'm looking for my camera.

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm stuck with Verizon for two more years so I can't go prepaid. I'm trying to sell my older android phone to help cut an off contract price in half. I just don't wanna pay that kinda price for a middle of the road phone that's gonna be left behind in 6 months. I'd love to find an 822 that I could just trade my android phone for and give a little cash too.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the 822 being left behind. Nokia/Verizon only have the 2 WP8 models, right now. Even if/even when they bring another handset to the carrier, I feel Nokia is going to continue to support the 822. One thing MS was good at with Zune, was ensuring all devices get an update. I don't see it being any different with the WP8 devices.

howie

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm stuck with Verizon for two more years so I can't go prepaid. I'm trying to sell my older android phone to help cut an off contract price in half. I just don't wanna pay that kinda price for a middle of the road phone that's gonna be left behind in 6 months. I'd love to find an 822 that I could just trade my android phone for and give a little cash too.

Did you just renew your contract? I bought a 920 from eBay as well and signed up with Straight Talk.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If I was going to pay full price, I'd want the Lumia 810. It's by far the most attractive 8x0 variant IMHO and I think it's the only one that has Gorilla Glass.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
If I was going to pay full price, I'd want the Lumia 810. It's by far the most attractive 8x0 variant IMHO and I think it's the only one that has Gorilla Glass.

The 822 has Gorilla Glass. Although the 810 is better looking I have found that the 822 feels better in the hand.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you do the math, most of the time it's cheaper to do the off contract full price of the phone.

First, figure out which plan works the best for you (especially if you really don't need the unlimited "everything" plan). Then multiply that by 24 (two years worth), then add the price of the phone.

Now compare two years worth of the plan that includes the free phone.

Whichever is cheaper, that's what you should do.

One thing you can do to help figure out which plan would be better for you is to look at your past history of your phone usage.

I have sat down with friends and family, and done this exercise and have saved everyone, but one, some money.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
So a lot of you are saying no to the 822. I'm still undecided I played with one at Verizon and it wasn't to bad.

I hope I wasn't confusing. I really like my 822. It has been the best phone I've had. Now, I'm not one of the types of people that has had every phone model under the sun. I pick out a phone and go with it, for the most part. I've never had an Android or iPhone. My experience has been Palm Treo, Blackberry, webOS and WP7/8. I picked this phone over the 8X simply based on the physical design. I just liked it better than the 8X. It works. It makes call, texts, takes photos, gets email, gets on the internet and plays games; everything I need it to. It is a WP, just like all the other phones. Now you have to decide, is it pleasing to your eye? Does it feel good in your hand? To me, it was.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
i would/will pay full price but check on ebay as well sometimes u can get it 100-150 bucks cheaper than verizon for brand new or slightly used

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
i would/will pay full price but check on ebay as well sometimes u can get it 100-150 bucks cheaper than verizon for brand new or slightly used
Im checking ebay constantly but just haven't seen the right one. I did miss one bc I wanted to check it out in the store. Then there is one on there but it only has a generic pic, plus I want a white one lol

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Look for a good price on ebay, don't be in a rush - wait for the right price, with the right seller, and get a good deal. Now that they're free on contract with the sale going on, you may find better deals, but who knows (I've never shopped for a phone on ebay). But if I had to pay full price and could afford to, yes, I would pay full price for this phone.

Also, FYI, I know you said you recently renewed, so this won't affect you, but I think it was MacPhisto said on the upcoming forum that Verizon was looking at the UK model, and looking at taking a payment plan on phones, and no contracts, coming up. This should be interesting.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3