Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AngryNil
  • 1 Post By rastislav.maskal

I'm wondering if there's an app to read web pages/tweets later (offline?) for wp8. I looked for pocket and instapaper on the market but with no results.
    Any ideas? Thanks! And merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    No official apps from Instapaper, Pocket or Readability. Keep in mind third party Instapaper clients will require you to have a paying subscription, but surf through the search below and see what works for WP8. IMO, most are rather low quality and have pretty bad designs, go with free versions and trials first. Also keep an eye on the "last updated" date, best to choose one that is getting updated frequently.

Search results for "read later" | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I've tried Read Better and it works okay, but no offline support. "Read It Later" gets my vote for nicest app.
    Thanked by:
    jfa1 

Nokia Xpress. That's if you have a Nokia of course.

Global Posts
    1,618 Global Posts
    Metropaper is quite good for Pocket. I use Pocket for saving stuff from my phone to read later on my computer, so I don't use the app every day. But when I do I find it very useful.

Also, Pocket doesn't require a fee to use, and it's integrated into almost every RSS/Google reader and twitter client that I've seen on wp8. The web interface on your desktop is quite nice as well.
    Try new Owl Reader with reach offline setting Owl Reader | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Recently found out about Pouch. I have a few nitpicks, but it's the nicest read later client I've seen so far.

Pouch | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Thanked by:
    unreal_rik likes this.

Got Metropaper and Pouch... I like Metropaper more but the dev said he lost the code for the project and he can't promise he will continue working on it. Metropaper still works well but doesn't have fast resume.

Pouch doesn't seem to have offline viewing... yet...

Global Posts
    1,618 Global Posts
    Pouch is what I've been using, both in WP8 and W8. It's particularly awesome on W8 as it integrates right into the Share charm. Honestly, viewing my Pocket account on my phone isn't that useful, because my work flow would usually be save article from phone to Pocket -> read article on tablet or computer from Pocket. I wish we could get Pocket integrated into the web browser on the phone.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
    Pouch is what I've been using, both in WP8 and W8. It's particularly awesome on W8 as it integrates right into the Share charm. Honestly, viewing my Pocket account on my phone isn't that useful, because my work flow would usually be save article from phone to Pocket -> read article on tablet or computer from Pocket. I wish we could get Pocket integrated into the web browser on the phone.
    Doesn't the bookmarklet work for you? You can find it at Pocket : How to Save

I wish Weave integrated more services than Instapaper, I don't really like the clients. I guess we might see something interesting with the BetaWorks acquisition, though.
    Thanked by:

I wish we could get Pocket integrated into the web browser on the phone.
    You can! Just use the bookmaklet as explained above. Works perfectly in WP8s Internet Explorer.

Global Posts
    1,618 Global Posts
    How does this work? Are you referring to the add to pocket via email?

How does this work? Are you referring to the add to pocket via email?
    Its very simple, you just create a bookmark in the browser. The bookmark can be called "send to pocket", or whatever you like. If you dont know how to create a bookmark, just edit one that you already have.

In the URL of the bookmark, you have to put this code:

javascript:(function(){var e=function(t,n,r,i,s){var o=[2943029,5247725,1470530,1946166,1462096,2174164,6368304,2452260,1276913,6921208];var i=i||0,u=0,n=n||[],r=r||0,s=s||0;var a={'a':97,'b':98,'c':99,'d':100,'e':101,'f':102,'g':103,'h':104,'i':105,'j':106,'k':107,'l':108,'m':109,'n':110,'o':111,'p':112,'q':113,'r':114,'s':115,'t':116,'u':117,'v':118,'w':119,'x':120,'y':121,'z':122,'A':65,'B':66,'C':67,'D':68,'E':69,'F':70,'G':71,'H':72,'I':73,'J':74,'K':75,'L':76,'M':77,'N':78,'O':79,'P':80,'Q':81,'R':82,'S':83,'T':84,'U':85,'V':86,'W':87,'X':88,'Y':89,'Z':90,'0':48,'1':49,'2':50,'3':51,'4':52,'5':53,'6':54,'7':55,'8':56,'9':57,'\/':47,':':58,'?':63,'=':61,'-':45,'_':95,'&':38,'$':36,'!':33,'.':46};if(!s||s==0){t=o[0]+t}for(var f=0;f<t.length;f++){var l=function(e,t){return a[e[t]]?a[e[t]]:e.charCodeAt(t)}(t,f);if(!l*1)l=3;var c=l*(o[i]+l*o[u%o.length]);n[r]=(n[r]?n[r]+c:c)+s+u;var p=c%(50*1);if(n[p]){var d=n[r];n[r]=n[p];n[p]=d}u+=c;r=r==50?0:r+1;i=i==o.length-1?0:i+1}if(s==331){var v='';for(var f=0;f<n.length;f++){v+=String.fromCharCode(n[f]%(25*1)+97)}o=function(){};return v+'a821c293e3'}else{return e(u+'',n,r,i,s+1)}};var t=document,n=t.location.href,r=t.title;var i=e(n);var s=t.createElement('script');s.type='text/javascript';s.src='https://getpocket.com/b/r4.js?h='+i+'&u='+encodeURIComponent(n)+'&t='+encodeURIComponent(r);e=i=function(){};var o=t.getElementsByTagName('head')[0]||t.documentElement;o.appendChild(s)})()

After you create the bookmark, when you find a page that you want to read later, you just click on the bookmark. That will save the website on Pocket.

Got it???

Web pages can be pinned to your home screen to they can be read later; as for tweets, I have no idea.

Check out Feed Reader (Feed Reader | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)). It not only is a RSS feed reader, but it is a Pocket AND Instapaper client as well. Also, it is a basic Twitter client too! All wrapped in one app. Cool thing that it also does it has an offline mode as well!
    You can try Owl Reader which is Unlimited ad-free trial! Owl Reader | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Thanked by:
    Salman Shah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rastislav.maskal View Post
    You can try Owl Reader which is Unlimited ad-free trial! Owl Reader | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Thanks. Owl Reader is awesome and its free!