Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By StrudelB
  • 4 Post By Ultimateone
  • 1 Post By socialcarpet
  • 1 Post By aubreyq
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    http://www.rogers.com/web/content/os-windows-8

Some ***** at rogers is making the mistake of calling WP8 Windows 8.

Nice.

Look where it says "Windows 8 Phones".

920 and ATIV.

I've seen this mistake made so many times.

Annoying to the customer. They expect Win8, but when they learn that WP8 ISN'T W8, they get angry and return it, or are just not happy with their device when the app stores are different and stuff.

C'mon, MS. Stop letting carriers do things like this.

Seriously? Why? making the mistake of calling WP8 Windows 8.
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 12-25-2012 at 07:21 AM.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    $79.99 for an ATIV S damn that's a good price!

...who cares? Saying "Windows Phone 8 Phone" is just redundant. "Windows 8 Phone" works just fine.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    This is like people making a big crap about people saying your instead of you're, who cares, you know what they are tryingn to say and in this case you know what they are referring to.

You make too many whiney threads.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq, myfyp2, iamtim and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Microsoft hasn't done a good job on educating people on what's what. Many people are still confused over Windows RT, for example. (RT really should be Windows Tablet 8 as well to match naming and give a better idea.) Regardless, when you make all three of your consumer products look the same and all contain Windows and 8, this is bound to happen without a really good education campaign.

Edited to add: Much, much worse that a carrier is doing it.

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StrudelB View Post
    ...who cares? Saying "Windows Phone 8 Phone" is just redundant. "Windows 8 Phone" works just fine.
    it makes me want to slap someone every time I have to say "Windows Phone 8 phone".
    That is the appropriate title, though (well maybe "Windows Phone 8 device").
    Who in their right mind put the word "phone" in the name of the phone?
    If I'm just speaking generally about it, I'll say "it's a window's phone".
    But if I want to speak, specifically, about this version, then I'm constrained to do the whole thing.
    Sent from my Verizon HTC 8X using Board Express
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    videoouija likes this.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    $79.99 for an ATIV S damn that's a good price!
    Every phone in Finland allways 0, that's a good price.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    The Windows 8 thing is completely understandable, especially for someone that isn't super-familiar with Microsoft.

Microsoft made the branding WAY too confusing.

The only time I jump down someone's throat about it is if they're bashing Microsoft and claim to know "all about Windows 8 Phone." Chances are, if they don't know it's "Windows Phone 8," they also don't know enough about it to critique it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    The Windows 8 thing is completely understandable, especially for someone that isn't super-familiar with Microsoft.

Microsoft made the branding WAY too confusing.

The only time I jump down someone's throat about it is if they're bashing Microsoft and claim to know "all about Windows 8 Phone." Chances are, if they don't know it's "Windows Phone 8," they also don't know enough about it to critique it.
    I agree, ms caused some of this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jackson View Post
    it makes me want to slap someone every time I have to say "Windows Phone 8 phone".
    That is the appropriate title, though (well maybe "Windows Phone 8 device").
    Who in their right mind put the word "phone" in the name of the phone?
    If I'm just speaking generally about it, I'll say "it's a window's phone".
    But if I want to speak, specifically, about this version, then I'm constrained to do the whole thing.
    Um.. Like... Maybe Apple? I guess it's ok for them though, but not MS? I agree that MS needs to clean up brand identity, even worse with introducing Windows RT. but this rant about including phone in the name where they do is a little over the top. Is it great? No. Would Windows 8 Phone sound better? Yes, in my opinion. But, nobody says my iPhone 5 phone. If you want to talk generically Windows Phone should be good enough, but either way drop the redundancy.

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenScrew View Post
    Um.. Like... Maybe Apple? I guess it's ok for them though, but not MS? I agree that MS needs to clean up brand identity, even worse with introducing Windows RT. but this rant about including phone in the name where they do is a little over the top. Is it great? No. Would Windows 8 Phone sound better? Yes, in my opinion. But, nobody says my iPhone 5 phone. If you want to talk generically Windows Phone should be good enough, but either way drop the redundancy.
    That's not really a valid comparison.
    iPhone 5 is the phone's name.
    It's not an iPhone 5 phone, it's an iOS 6 phone.
    Saying iPhone 5 is like saying 8X (except that everyone knows what an iPhone is and very few people know what an 8X is).
    I don't know if it would happen, but Apple will have to deal with the same issues if they ever allow third-party vendors to make iOS devices.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Carriers, MS own people, and others make that mistake. Microsoft is to blame for never having their act together when it comes to naming products. And that's that!
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Should have been Windows 8 phone anyway.....Windows 8 tablets, Win 8 desktops, win 8 phones etc.......and in the end who gives a crap, win 8 phone for win phone 8?

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Why even call it a "Windows Phone 8?"

Just call it "the new Windows Phone."

Numbers are pass for products these days, a legacy of the 1980s and early 1990s.