Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. PDFierro3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm wondering if Nokia Transit is as accurate as Google Maps in its transit directions? After seeing Nokia's HERE Maps for iOS completely flop, I'm a little hesitant.

    The app looks good, but does it pull the same data that Google Maps does? Specifically, I'd be using this service in Los Angeles. I'm also aware there are other transit apps for Windows Phone 8, but I'd like to hear about Nokia Transit and if it's reliable.
  2. PDFierro3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #2  
    Well, so nobody has used it?
  3. Philippe Maes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #3  
    Works perfectly in Belgium.
  4. #4  
    it's excellent in nyc
  5. tibere86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #5  
    Works awesomely in Philadelphia
  6. kresbeatz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #6  
    Works as good as Gmaps in Budapest :)
  7. RZaakir's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #7  
    Works great in Atlanta. Highly accurate.
  8. darthtata85's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #8  
    I am going to say I have a non bias view owning, HTC Desire HD (Android) Iphone 3gs, & 4 and now a Nokia Lumia 820 in terms of speed and accuracy I believe Transit to be the best!
  9. Lee B's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #9  
    You should try it out in LA, but my experience in Boston is that Nokia Transit and Google Maps mostly give similar results, but Nokia is better overall because it sometimes offers options that Google misses. I've been very happy with the app. Google and Nokia both seem to rely on the same schedule information provided by the T, and the trains don't always come when the T says they will, but I don't blame the software for that limitation.
  10. generalsu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    119 Posts
    #10  
    NT in Singapore is the worst!
  11. gunnerou's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #11  
    Works great in Austin.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
  12. #12  
    Useless in India(Bangalore)
  13. Dr_8820's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #13  
    I've used it for about a month now in Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus...it was very smooth and accurate.
    Sent from my Nokia L810 using Board Express
  14. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,085 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee B View Post
    Google and Nokia both seem to rely on the same schedule information provided by the T, and the trains don't always come when the T says they will, but I don't blame the software for that limitation.
    I do. There's freely available real-time tracking data provided that Nokia refuses to use.
  15. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #15  
    It's excellent in NYC, I haven't used it much here in Florida as we don't have much mass transit. The interface is brilliant I think. Very nice app, but pretty much every Nokia WP app is excellent so I wasn't surprised.
  16. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by abhishek_rshetty View Post
    Useless in India(Bangalore)
    It will probably take some time for them to add information for all cities, there are so many places. But India is a very important market for Nokia so I am sure they will resolve that soon in a future update.
  17. Lee B's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I do. There's freely available real-time tracking data provided that Nokia refuses to use.
    Well, yes, except for the Green Line, which is what I use most. The T can track the buses and the other three subway lines, but America's oldest subway is technically-challenged. The T says real-time data for the Green LIne is coming one year or another.
  18. bilzkh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    688 Posts
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    #18  
    Works fine with Toronto (ON) in Canada (TTC and GO)
  19. PDFierro3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee B View Post
    You should try it out in LA, but my experience in Boston is that Nokia Transit and Google Maps mostly give similar results, but Nokia is better overall because it sometimes offers options that Google misses. I've been very happy with the app. Google and Nokia both seem to rely on the same schedule information provided by the T, and the trains don't always come when the T says they will, but I don't blame the software for that limitation.
    Thanks! And to everyone else. I was just making sure they use the same data, because I've heard of apps like HopStop providing incorrect directions compared to Google Maps. And then the HERE Maps flop on iOS.
  20. Bryan_J's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    #20  
    I use it in Chicago and have been very impressed so far.
  21. pulkit10's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #21  
    Works flawlessly. Intuitive UI and you really do get all the information you need. I live in Calgary so the only major gripe I have is that it doesn't display stop numbers and instead focuses on arranging stops by distance from your location (which is nice, just a little different for me). Apart from that, the information is dead accurate and quite well presented.
  22. mpelti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #22  
    It works mostly well in Philadelphia. My biggest issues are that it doesn't let me choose preferred methods. Buses are always late, so I'd rather walk a little further to the subway. Also, an acceptable walking distance is needed. Often when i'm trying to check for the next bus/train home, it tells me to stay on well past my stop, to transfer to a different bus that would drop me off 2 blocks closer. In that case, I'm mostly just looking for departure times, but it would suck for someone from out of town to end up in a sketchy area 2 miles away from where they need be, waiting for a bus to backtrack them.
    Curse this app gap!
  23. tibere86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpelti View Post
    It works mostly well in Philadelphia. My biggest issues are that it doesn't let me choose preferred methods. Buses are always late, so I'd rather walk a little further to the subway. Also, an acceptable walking distance is needed. Often when i'm trying to check for the next bus/train home, it tells me to stay on well past my stop, to transfer to a different bus that would drop me off 2 blocks closer. In that case, I'm mostly just looking for departure times, but it would suck for someone from out of town to end up in a sketchy area 2 miles away from where they need be, waiting for a bus to backtrack them.
    I find Nokia Transit's performance in Center City quite accurate. My only gripe is that if you're in the east side of the city (Old City/Society Hill/Washington Square areas), Nokia Transit provides PATCO and NJ Transit info first.
  24. Dr_8820's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpelti View Post
    It works mostly well in Philadelphia. My biggest issues are that it doesn't let me choose preferred methods. Buses are always late, so I'd rather walk a little further to the subway. Also, an acceptable walking distance is needed. Often when i'm trying to check for the next bus/train home, it tells me to stay on well past my stop, to transfer to a different bus that would drop me off 2 blocks closer. In that case, I'm mostly just looking for departure times, but it would suck for someone from out of town to end up in a sketchy area 2 miles away from where they need be, waiting for a bus to backtrack them.
    Have you scrolled down the results? Mine shows bus stops first, but if you scroll down, the train stops are below it.
  25. pjmacklin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    #25  
    works okay in seattle but we have OneBusAway which is pretty good! have not ported gmaps to my lumia but didn't like using it as a public transportation source on any of my previous devices.

Similar Threads

  1. How is the HTC 8X $200 more off-contract than the Nokia L920?!
    By lee.eubanks in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM
  2. How is Nokia so stupid for not releasing the 920 on Verizon?
    By aventador779 in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 11:01 PM
  3. How is your battery today post Mango?
    By Jazmac in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 11:57 PM
  4. When the heck is Nokia coming??
    By mmaman in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 06:51 PM
  5. How is this possible? Still love my Windows Phone
    By Winterfang in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions