Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I'm wondering if Nokia Transit is as accurate as Google Maps in its transit directions? After seeing Nokia's HERE Maps for iOS completely flop, I'm a little hesitant.

The app looks good, but does it pull the same data that Google Maps does? Specifically, I'd be using this service in Los Angeles. I'm also aware there are other transit apps for Windows Phone 8, but I'd like to hear about Nokia Transit and if it's reliable.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Well, so nobody has used it?

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Works perfectly in Belgium.
    it's excellent in nyc

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Works awesomely in Philadelphia

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Works as good as Gmaps in Budapest :)

Works great in Atlanta. Highly accurate.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I am going to say I have a non bias view owning, HTC Desire HD (Android) Iphone 3gs, & 4 and now a Nokia Lumia 820 in terms of speed and accuracy I believe Transit to be the best!

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    You should try it out in LA, but my experience in Boston is that Nokia Transit and Google Maps mostly give similar results, but Nokia is better overall because it sometimes offers options that Google misses. I've been very happy with the app. Google and Nokia both seem to rely on the same schedule information provided by the T, and the trains don't always come when the T says they will, but I don't blame the software for that limitation.

NT in Singapore is the worst!

Works great in Austin.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Useless in India(Bangalore)

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I've used it for about a month now in Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus...it was very smooth and accurate.
    Sent from my Nokia L810 using Board Express

Global Posts
    8,085 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee B View Post
    Google and Nokia both seem to rely on the same schedule information provided by the T, and the trains don't always come when the T says they will, but I don't blame the software for that limitation.
    I do. There's freely available real-time tracking data provided that Nokia refuses to use.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    It's excellent in NYC, I haven't used it much here in Florida as we don't have much mass transit. The interface is brilliant I think. Very nice app, but pretty much every Nokia WP app is excellent so I wasn't surprised.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abhishek_rshetty View Post
    Useless in India(Bangalore)
    It will probably take some time for them to add information for all cities, there are so many places. But India is a very important market for Nokia so I am sure they will resolve that soon in a future update.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I do. There's freely available real-time tracking data provided that Nokia refuses to use.
    Well, yes, except for the Green Line, which is what I use most. The T can track the buses and the other three subway lines, but America's oldest subway is technically-challenged. The T says real-time data for the Green LIne is coming one year or another.

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Works fine with Toronto (ON) in Canada (TTC and GO)

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee B View Post
    You should try it out in LA, but my experience in Boston is that Nokia Transit and Google Maps mostly give similar results, but Nokia is better overall because it sometimes offers options that Google misses. I've been very happy with the app. Google and Nokia both seem to rely on the same schedule information provided by the T, and the trains don't always come when the T says they will, but I don't blame the software for that limitation.
    Thanks! And to everyone else. I was just making sure they use the same data, because I've heard of apps like HopStop providing incorrect directions compared to Google Maps. And then the HERE Maps flop on iOS.

I use it in Chicago and have been very impressed so far.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Works flawlessly. Intuitive UI and you really do get all the information you need. I live in Calgary so the only major gripe I have is that it doesn't display stop numbers and instead focuses on arranging stops by distance from your location (which is nice, just a little different for me). Apart from that, the information is dead accurate and quite well presented.

It works mostly well in Philadelphia. My biggest issues are that it doesn't let me choose preferred methods. Buses are always late, so I'd rather walk a little further to the subway. Also, an acceptable walking distance is needed. Often when i'm trying to check for the next bus/train home, it tells me to stay on well past my stop, to transfer to a different bus that would drop me off 2 blocks closer. In that case, I'm mostly just looking for departure times, but it would suck for someone from out of town to end up in a sketchy area 2 miles away from where they need be, waiting for a bus to backtrack them.
    Curse this app gap!

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mpelti View Post
    It works mostly well in Philadelphia. My biggest issues are that it doesn't let me choose preferred methods. Buses are always late, so I'd rather walk a little further to the subway. Also, an acceptable walking distance is needed. Often when i'm trying to check for the next bus/train home, it tells me to stay on well past my stop, to transfer to a different bus that would drop me off 2 blocks closer. In that case, I'm mostly just looking for departure times, but it would suck for someone from out of town to end up in a sketchy area 2 miles away from where they need be, waiting for a bus to backtrack them.
    I find Nokia Transit's performance in Center City quite accurate. My only gripe is that if you're in the east side of the city (Old City/Society Hill/Washington Square areas), Nokia Transit provides PATCO and NJ Transit info first.

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mpelti View Post
    Have you scrolled down the results? Mine shows bus stops first, but if you scroll down, the train stops are below it.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    works okay in seattle but we have OneBusAway which is pretty good! have not ported gmaps to my lumia but didn't like using it as a public transportation source on any of my previous devices.