Nokia Drive+ sucks, and other mapping issues

TunaTank

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is a straight up complaint. I had heard people say how much Nokia Drive sucked, and after using Bing Maps for so long, I was quite happy. However, removing Bing Maps was a horrible idea. First off, the benefits of Nokia Maps.

The ding to let you know when there's been a speed limit change or you're speeding. That was pretty nifty.
3D is interesting. But I've never used it.
Ability to set different preferences when driving. That's nice to avoid toll roads.
POIs are nice too.

And the problems....
Cannot set 2D map to always have the top point north. WTF.
Routing is completely idiotic. However, I assume some of these are because of toll roads and other settings. Like the attached images, which were with default settings. However, I think it shouldnt be such a subtle feature. It should prompt, and say "avoiding toll roads will add x number of minutes to your drive." Because in this example, its a big difference.
I was told on multiple routes to just head straight, example being for 120 miles. However, on the map, it showed me turn down different roads and go a different direction, which was the correct direction.

Also, maps related things:
Local scout, picking a place that shows ratings, when sliding over to the "Buzz", very rarely do reviews appear.
Sometimes, you need to be really specific about the place you are searching for, i.e. if I were to search for "Siemens" from my office in Tallahassee, it shows up. But 20 minutes away, I type in "Siemens", and I get no results. I have to type in "Siemens Tallahassee" for a result. It seems to be a radius search issue. However, just checking now, it seems ok. Maybe Portico fixed this.
Typing in an address without a city does not populate search results. This could be an issue if you're unfamiliar with the area and what city an address resides in.
If you are using Bing Maps to get directions, hitting the Windows key and reopening Maps, not hitting the back button, clears out your path.
If you are using Bing Maps to get directions, and you are between point 2 and 3, and want to check the future directions, you can. But you can't get the directions to pull back up to where you are in the list of directions, nor will it update distances.

The problem with all this, is that it worked wonderfully on WP7, and there was no reason to change it. Especially for the non-Nokia phones. Which, while I'm on a rant, would be nice. It seemed my Focus S was MUCH better at finding my location faster, and knowing where I was on a map. I find myself passing turns much more with my 920, because its a bit slower with the GPS. I thought they were going to be the "where" company.
Also, if I check in somewhere, I would like to tag people.

That's plenty for now. See attached pictures for the routing. Rotated for your convenience.

wp_ss_20121124_0001.pngwp_ss_20121124_0002.png

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I do not remember all my issues but seems it had something to do with Nokia Drive while I was heading to a four lane turn off was kind of hard to see which turn off to take or the turn offs didn't show up early enough... I just decided to keep using the Navigon App because I love how it shows a picture for the Turn offs with a nice huge visible arrow... It is really scary when your out on the open road and you cannot drive and worry about where your headed... I used to think TomTom was the **** back in the day on my Windows Phone 6.0...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills