What car radios work well with WP8

rybob1

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
So I'm frustrated enough with my car radio not working with WP8, that one of the two has to go. I was an early adopter of WP7, so I'm not yet ready to ditch the OS - besides overall, I've really liked it.

So I ask the question to the collective forum - what after market car radios work for your WP8 devices? I would like to find a double DIN device that will work with the Lumia 920 - and I'm irritated with Pioneer enough with their lack of communication and their slowness to address the problem that I'm inclined to avoid using them again. Why reward bad behavior? I leave this question rather broad, I'm open to considering both audio and audio/video classes.

What suggestions do you have?

rybob1

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
A2DP and AVRCP 1.4 support. I'm having a hard time finding receivers that support the updated 1.4 version. I currently have the Pioneer AVH-3400BH DVD receiver, but I'm tired of waiting for Pioneer's vaporware/firmware.

ggonzalez777

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about double din but I just installed a JVC KD-X50BT receiver(Christmas gift, just what I wanted!!!) and it works flawlessly with my nl 920. It auto connects and even displays the title of the playing song, including songs from Pandora(metro radio) or streaming players. I think its AVRCP 1.3 but I'm not sure what is included in 1.4. For my needs it works perfectly. My gf's AVIC-X930BT works just fine with her nl 920, just a little slow to connect.

rybob1

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't have to be 1.3, all I really care about is that the remote control capabilities work, and that I can see artist/track info while streaming music. My understanding is that 1.4 was not backwards compatible, but it sounds like it is partially, since ggonzalez777 has a 1.3 deck working with the 920.

ggonzalez777

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend this receiver, if you don't care about cd playback or DVD. But it seems that what you had previously. I would think later model DVD receiver from JVC would work fine. What was your original issue with the pioneer?

rybob1

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Let me rephrase my question instead - ignoring any type of specs on the radio or bluetooth stack. What car radios have you got to work successfully with your Lumia 920s? Since I would be looking to put one in my car, I'm really interested in after market ones.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Let me rephrase my question instead - ignoring any type of specs on the radio or bluetooth stack. What car radios have you got to work successfully with your Lumia 920s? Since I would be looking to put one in my car, I'm really interested in after market ones.

I have the Alpine CDE-133BT. It works perfectly with my Lumia 920. All my streaming apps work well (including displaying songs and controlling play/stop/etc. from the stereo). Also, making phone calls through the stereo work very well. Sound quality is great. It allows you to make calls through voice, recent calls and phone book (all of this without touching your phone). It automatically connects to your phone when you turn your car on.

paulbram

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
With the Alpine, are you able to access the native WP voice recognition (i.e. long press start) by simply tapping a button on the head unit? I'm looking for a stereo that doesn't do any phone book downloading, voice recognition etc. I just want a simple Bluetooth w/ A2DP stereo that gets out of the way and let's WP control everything instead of trying to be too smart.

ggonzalez777

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
With the Alpine, are you able to access the native WP voice recognition (i.e. long press start) by simply tapping a button on the head unit? I'm looking for a stereo that doesn't do any phone book downloading, voice recognition etc. I just want a simple Bluetooth w/ A2DP stereo that gets out of the way and let's WP control everything instead of trying to be too smart.

With the JVC model I mentioned, you hold the phone button for a second and it actives the voice control. I use it all the time with the "hey DJ" app and it works flawlessly. The unit comes with a mic you can place anywhere.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Does that JVC unit (giggity) have the BT receiver built-in or is it a USB dongle? I ask because I bought a JVC head unit a couple of years ago (using an iPhone in those days) and the BT quality was terrible with the included dongle.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm sales mngr stereo shop Sony 601bt works near perfect no album art but controls work Bluetooth is awesome it reads my text messages and I can reply thru Bluetooth no Pandora still waiting on that but only no album art for now Lumia 920 most pioneers are only iPhone ready not smartphone ready!!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

honestly I don't know. I will try and check that out tom. and let you know.

ggonzalez777

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Does that JVC unit (giggity) have the BT receiver built-in or is it a USB dongle? I ask because I bought a JVC head unit a couple of years ago (using an iPhone in those days) and the BT quality was terrible with the included dongle.

There's a USB dongle that can connected to a USB cable from the rear, or you can connect it to the front USB slit. I don't know why but the USB doesn't charge the phone or read the music. But Bluetooth us all I wanted anyway.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
And the quality of the music via the Bluetooth dongle is pretty good? And the LCD screen displays the song info from the phone via Bluetooth?
Have you tried the remote control; can you fast-forward/rewind/pause the phone's music via the remote?

ggonzalez777

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
And the quality of the music via the Bluetooth dongle is pretty good? And the LCD screen displays the song info from the phone via Bluetooth?
Have you tried the remote control; can you fast-forward/rewind/pause the phone's music via the remote?

I can't personally tell the difference from when I play the music through Bluetooth than when I play it through the auxiliary in. I believe the new wp8 phones support higher bit rates thus increasing the quality of the music. The LCD displays the tile of the song or the artist. That's only downside I see with my stereo. I doesn't display both, but there's a button to cycle through the info. Fast forward and rewind work but I can't seem to pause it. I have to read the manual to see what button pauses the music. I'm speaking about both the head unit and the remote.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Trust me Sony xa 601bt works perfectly full control artist and song pause foward back everything sounds awesome all Mb quart highs 4merlon 12" sounds sweet

JeepGuy25

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a Pioneet P930BT in my one car...its never been great with any phone.

In my daily driver, I have the stock radio, with a Parrot Mki9100. Let me tell you...that thing is AWESOME! I have a jetta, so it was 100% plug and play. Most other cars will need an adapter harness I believe. But my WP works fantastic with it. I actually tested the Galaxy with my Parrot and it was unsatisfactory, and was probably one of the major pushes I needed to buy the 920.

In the Parrot settings, the key is to change the voice controls to "use the phones voice commands" vs. the built in ones from Parrot. Now with a click of the talk button, I get my phones voice control system. Send texts, have texts read, open apps, search, accept/reject calls, etc. It just works very well in my experience. Plus the Parrot kit is just a great unit. USB, AUX in, iPod connector, neat little display. I run a USB stick filled with my music.

I know this veers from your question OP...just wanted to toss it out there as a good aftermarket solution. Even if I bought a head unit with BT for my Jetta, I would still use the Parrot. In my experience a head unit that has BT capabilities will never be as good as a dedicated BT system.

Just to add one more point...the best car Ive used with factory BT was a Ford Focus with SYNC. That worked quite well for me.

J.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte