T-Mobile is pushing WP8 pretty hard

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The 8X is being presented as "the perfect phone for size, power and apps" by two of the stores I went into recently.

The 810 is being pushed as a "budget performer."

Overall, the 8X is getting equal billing with the GS 3, and the 810 is being presented as an alternative to the GS 2.

Not bad at all.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
That's great to hear, the T-mobile store I bought my 8X from had a dedicated Windows section with live phones out to play with (a first for a T-mobile store).

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Good news. I'm happy to hear it. T-Mobile seemed to make some effort to promote the Lumia 710 when the first got it too and I've always felt they deserved kudos for that.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
810 is thicker, lower res, and has less built-in storage. It's also cheaper, hence the "810 as budget performer." Its resolution and capability is compared roughly to the GS II, which I think is appropriate.

I suspect the only reason T-Mo is selling the 810 is because of its fairly long relationship with Nokia... Nokia skipped over T-Mo for any high-range phones, despite the fact that T-Mo kept selling Nokia Symbian devices (like the Nuron) long after the other three major carriers kicked them out. I'm still trying to figure out why Verizon sells the 822... maybe because Nokia decided to make it look just like one of the ugly old Android handsets of yore? ;)

Anyway, if it sells more Windows Phones, I'm all for it.

I also heard a little rumor that T-Mo and Samsung are going to be announcing some Windows Phone goodness in January. T-Mo is definitely on board as a hard-core WP pusher (at least until they get the next Apple device).

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Same processor, same amount of ram.

The gs2 has an older s3 processor that doesn't match the performance of the snapdragon s4 found in the lumias and 8x.

The only reason the Lumia 920 is marketed as a high end wp8 is because of the camera.

Resolution? Who cares. This is wp8. Unlike android devices, you can almost not tell the difference unless you look closely.

Don't let the marketing fool you. Just like HTC advertises the one x as a high end android device and the T-Mobile one s as a midrange android device only because of screen size.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
810 as a budget performer lol. Only thing separating the Lumia 8xx, 920 and 8x is camera and resolution.
The 8X also has a dedicated amp for sound processing, the 810 just uses the integrated audio on the S4 chip.
Same processor, same amount of ram.

The gs2 has an older s3 processor that doesn't match the performance of the snapdragon s4 found in the lumias and 8x.

The only reason the Lumia 920 is marketed as a high end wp8 is because of the camera.

Resolution? Who cares. This is wp8. Unlike android devices, you can almost not tell the difference unless you look closely.

Don't let the marketing fool you. Just like HTC advertises the one x as a high end android device and the T-Mobile one s as a midrange android device only because of screen size.

There is a difference between the display quality of an SD screen and an HD screen. I sometimes pick up my HD7 for comparison and its so painful after looking at my 8X.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 810/820/822 screen is gorgeous compared to an Arrive or a Venue Pro, but it's pretty chunky and lo-res-looking when compared with an 8X or 920 -- especially when it comes to rendered text.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Have u compared the hd7 screen to the Lumia 810\822 screen? Different screen tech. Hd7 was a horrible phone

Former HD7 owner here. The HD7 was not horrible. The screen was not very bright, the power/sleep/wake button was mushy, and the speaker wasn't loud. But that's all the cons, overall a great phone. Never let me down.

adamjamess

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
All carriers are pushing wp8 because they want to battle the costs of subsidizing Iphones.

And wp8 is simple enough for people to get behind that they hope they'll choose it over Iphones.

Posted from my Verizon Employee Edition DROID DNA #01749.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Apple's getting hammered by Android. That's not necessarily good news for WP World, but Apple's got to get their pricing stabilized, or they'll get their lunch eaten.

Right now, they have some of the lowest costs of any player in tech because of their crazy supply chain and buying power. They've got plenty of margin they can sacrifice for volume. But right now, they've cut orders for Q1 from 30 to 35 million down to 20 to 25 million.

The channel is also chock-full of iPhone 4 and 4S handsets, something I noticed back when they were posting "record sales." The carriers are going to have to disgorge all those 4-series iPhones somehow. I don't think the Virgin Mobile 4S is doing too well, either, mostly because of price.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

And the 32 GB of RAM and 4G LTE and much nicer build quality, but yeah. The replaceable battery and SD card on the 810 are nice features too. The 810 is much more pocketable too. I came close to getting a 8xx, if not for the resolution I may very well have done it. Nice phone.

Resolution? Who cares. This is wp8.

Stop staring at tiles and actually open a web page, watch a movie or look at some pictures and you'll care, believe me. A webpage that is unreadable without zooming and panning on my 900 is perfectly legible on my 920 with no zoom, that makes a big difference for me. Pictures and movies also look far better when pixels are so small and numerous that they melt out of sight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro