how can i disable the search button WINDOWS PHONE 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why you're not getting the same results with Bing but here is a search I did with Bing for Lady Gaga Age. Maybe Chrome is the problem? I don't use it of course.

bing.jpg

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So.

Let say Microsoft changes the search button to a universal search button AND provides the option to enable or disable it.

Every time you want to search for something you're going to go into settings and enable it, search your phone, then go back into settings and disable it?

I guess then we could make a thread about how time consuming that is and how much Microsoft sucks, huh?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not the button so much for me, it's 'BING' ... increasing traffic to themselves, which is a dirty trick, but if I think even now I still hit that button perhaps once a day in err, as for doing searches, I do this from my home screen menu thingy, where I have all my interwebby stuff all grouped together just below all my calling and texting stuff... W8 is so cool on the mobile, though at work i'm downgrading a w8 machine to w7 next week.

Really? And no other company tries to get you to spend more time with their other products either.... I try to always be level headed but I just skipped the rest of your post because of how ridiculous that one part is.

somethungquixk

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I've read your post, no need to be offensive, this is a forum where consumers can share there experiances about the products they have spent there own money on, and as such if you could not be bothered to read the rest.. Why bother commenting, Lets try to keep this on topic.. I confess I do tend to ramble on, but I'm entitled to my own opinion, and this feature needs addressing.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've read your post, no need to be offensive, this is a forum where consumers can share there experiances about the products they have spent there own money on, and as such if you could not be bothered to read the rest.. Why bother commenting, Lets try to keep this on topic.. I confess I do tend to ramble on, but I'm entitled to my own opinion, and this feature needs addressing.

If you are talking to me, I wasn't being offensive. I simply stated an extreme hole in your logic. I was very much on topic.

Obviously you are allowed to have your own opinion of works best, but people are allowed to also point out mistakes.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
the bing button needs to be changed so that only a deliberate press of 1 second would trigger it, just the voice recognition button.

I hit it by accident at least once a day, especially during temple run

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Google is certainly more useful to the public, googling things such as "meaning of..." or "*insert name*'s age" are way faster and interactive than binging them. here's an example:

I googled and binged "Lady Gaga's age" and here is what I got:

clearly the desktop version of Google is more clear to the user, it also includes the artist's music, age, height, real name and similar artists but Bing is no use, you have to dig into all these websites.

The mobile versions is no exceptions. Bing has no "news" tab, so if the thing that you are searching for has no recent news, news section doesn't show. Bing 'California Gurls' (pop song) on your devices, news results? nah.

I know this post is off topic but I'm really citing the issue of how Bing is useless for users, the search button also irritates me sometimes but it's not a big of a deal. I just press the back button and continue with whatever I was doing.

MS just did announce they are adding the definition part for searches... as for stuff like the age... yeah, I do love that about Google.

However. I just did this test on my Surface and it worked pretty well. I will note that it doesn't do this screen every time. It is not very consistant.

gaga.png

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Also, here is a little known fact. When in Kid's Corner, the search button is disabled. So if you find you hit that button while playing games, put your games in Kid's Corner and run them from there. Problem solved.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know this post is off topic but I'm really citing the issue of how Bing is useless for users

This is the part that gets me: who gave you the authority to speak on behalf of users? I'm a user and I find BING way more useful than Google. Your belief that BING is useless does not make it so for everyone.

eltawil

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I've always wondered about if Microsoft ever conducted a real life research on those capacitive buttons. I mean, if they simply unlocked the phone, opened an app, and handed the phone to any guy walking down the street they would immediately see the guy accidentally hitting those buttons and getting frustrated.

The only real solution I see, if Microsoft insists on keeping those three buttons, is to NOT allow OEMs to make them capacitive and instead switch them to physical buttons, like the ones that came with the Lumia 710.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
So.

Let say Microsoft changes the search button to a universal search button AND provides the option to enable or disable it.

Every time you want to search for something you're going to go into settings and enable it, search your phone, then go back into settings and disable it?

I guess then we could make a thread about how time consuming that is and how much Microsoft sucks, huh?

No, I'm perfectly content with accessing search via an app instead of a dedicated button. Anyone who uses Google already does it that way.

I'm totally onboard with somethungquixk's rant. The Bing Button is my single most hated feature of my WP.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think the best way to disable the search button would be to go down to the hardware store, buy a glass cutter, and cut a piece of glass roughly 1/3 of the bottom edge of the phone. No promises on whether you'll still be able to use your warranty.

:wink:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
For me it's not most used, but it's frequently used. I know to each his own, but I can't wrap my brain around someone wanting to disable it. I do understand wanting to configure it to another search engine, though, and I do bump it on occasion, but I guess it's not as irritating to me as it appears to be to some.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
A big part is the design of the phone. I used to hit it all the time on the Focus. With the 928 I do not hit it. I think it is because the 928 has a good amout of space between the search button and the bottom of the phone so when I'm holding it in landscape I don't brush up against it.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, my HTC is really slick looking, and when I use it with two hands it's great, but the Bing button and the volume and camera buttons just get in the way if I hold it one handed. It's not as bad as it was when I first got the phone and I probably have a little further to go on the learning curve, but the way I naturally hold it results in inadvertent switch activations. Being able to disable the Bing switch in particular would be a godsend.

vorkerbee

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, thank you, you took the words right out of my mouth. I've come to hate Bing with a passion and refuse to use it no matter where I am (home, work, desktop, laptop, vendor, etc.) It's quality stinks and it's tactics are worse, fail fail fail. Is it too much to hope that enough 'feed-back' will prompt a change to remedy this problem? I've had my phone a week, and Bing has been a complete p.i.t.a. Worthless and invasive, like bad weeds.
And I don't have to 'hit' that d&%$ button, I just wave past it and it switches my screen, aaarrgh! I've already missed some good photo ops when it changed in the middle of taking pictures, which was why I bought this particular phone in the first place!

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I was looking at my son's Android tonight and the three buttons across the bottom are Back, Home Menu, and Settings. That makes sense. And he has Search as an app on the nav. screen (Google, naturally). Too bad Windows didn't look at what works.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, thank you, you took the words right out of my mouth. I've come to hate Bing with a passion and refuse to use it no matter where I am (home, work, desktop, laptop, vendor, etc.) It's quality stinks and it's tactics are worse, fail fail fail. Is it too much to hope that enough 'feed-back' will prompt a change to remedy this problem? I've had my phone a week, and Bing has been a complete p.i.t.a. Worthless and invasive, like bad weeds.
And I don't have to 'hit' that d&%$ button, I just wave past it and it switches my screen, aaarrgh! I've already missed some good photo ops when it changed in the middle of taking pictures, which was why I bought this particular phone in the first place!

Sounds like you might want to go with a different OS...lots of hate built up toward Bing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven