how can i disable the search button WINDOWS PHONE 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
One must admit, though, that Google has treated WP with a good bit of hostility.

I don't know that and I don't care. I'm just a phone user, not an industry insider. I don't care about company-to-company politics.

However, the complaining about "I accidentally hit it all the time" doesn't hold water for me. I don't see many Android phones out there that don't have capacitive buttons across the bottom. There's no difference here.

I'm not saying that Android phones are better. For me, it really is about the physical design of my particular phone, the HTC 8X. For the way I naturally hold the phone, I frequently activate the button without intending to. It's annoying. I may still be on the learning curve and may eventually train myself out of these inadvertent activations, but right now, as I said earlier, it's the single most annoying feature of the phone.

Because I use Google and not Bing, the inadvertent activations are that much more annoying, because the button accesses a function I never, ever use.

I really have nothing against Bing itself; it's a search engine. Like someone else said, it works pretty much the same as Google. But I have used Google for years and that's what I prefer. It doesn't bother me that I have to access through a tile button on the screen. If it wasn't available, Bing would probably do everything I do with Google, and I would adjust. But even if I used Bing and I preferred Bing, the fact that I often hit the button when I don't want to do a search would still be annoying.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know that and I don't care. I'm just a phone user, not an industry insider. I don't care about company-to-company politics.
You think you don't care. But their treatment of WP goes to email, calendar, contacts, and YouTube as well. Even if you don't know it, you have been affected if you use any of those google services.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
You think you don't care. But their treatment of WP goes to email, calendar, contacts, and YouTube as well. Even if you don't know it, you have been affected if you use any of those google services.

Don't presume to tell me what I do or do not care about.

My gmail account works seamlessly on my WP just like the other accounts I have linked to it (live, ymail).
I've never once used Google Calendar or Contacts.
If I click on a Youtube link, it plays in my browser. I don't need an app.

So really. I don't care.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Again... what am I missing? All I do on Youtube is watch videos. If I can watch videos, I'm fine. Lesser than what? The answer is (still), I don't care.

I'm not sure why you're so bent on convincing me I'm not happy when I'm happy.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to convince you that you're not happy. I'm showing how the company-to-company politics that you don't care about do affect you whether you realize it or not. What are you missing? HQ playback for one thing. But since you don't want to hear more, I'm not going to bother. My point isn't to make you unhappy but to educate.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
If I don't realize it, it doesn't affect me.

What good is HD on a screen the size of my cell phone? I've actually been pretty wowed by the resolution. Not having HD is probably better for my data usage.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
popcorn_2.gif

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me for trying to enlighten. Normally people are appreciative. I'll try in the future not to offend your desire for ignorance.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I understand all you're telling me, and if I were interested in using those features it would make a difference to me. As it is, you're talking about things that I've never used on a phone. Face it, we're both stubborn donkeys we're trying to make a point. I understand the points you made, but those are things that are in the noise for me and the way I use my phone. Maybe someday I'll want the features you're talking about, but right now I'm totally happy with my WP8 experience. Except for the Bing button.

eltawil

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, if I had a nickel for every time I heard someone complaining about the search button. Did you not see the search button when you checked out the phone before buying it?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
So.

Let say Microsoft changes the search button to a universal search button AND provides the option to enable or disable it.

Every time you want to search for something you're going to go into settings and enable it, search your phone, then go back into settings and disable it?

I guess then we could make a thread about how time consuming that is and how much Microsoft sucks, huh?

No, every time you want to search you go to google.com in the browser.

I agree about touch sensitive buttons, which many non-WP phones also have. Physical buttons are much better and easier to use.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Uhm... Dos is still the core of Windows..... Click start, run and then cmd and than enter. You will see a black screen. You can type there a dos command.

If DOS is the core for whichever Windows OS you are using, it is time for an upgrade.

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My problem is with the button itself on my 8X. I accidentally hit it frequently and would love to be able to disable it.
I also have the 8X, which I love, but I resonate to this topic ;) My particular gripe is that the search button brings up Bing no matter what app I'm in. It makes more sense when I'm on the start screen, then it's just another shortcut. But it makes less sense that in the middle of using an app I would want to jump to Bing without going back to start. Inevitably when I want someone to take a picture of me and I hand them my phone with the camera app running, they immediately hand it back with Bing up. Why would I want to bring up Bing in the middle of using the camera?

So what I think they should do (as if that matters ;) is allow apps to take over the search button if they want to, and disable it in any app that doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire