12-29-2012, 06:34 AM #226
- 3 Posts
I'm coming from a Nokia point of view, so please bear with me.
I use to love Nokia phones, this isn't a Nokia phone, but a Windows phone with Nokia logo on the screen. I now have the 820 phone and after having it a few days I miss my C7.
- I imported my C7's phone contacts via Bluetooth and now they are mixed together with my Hotmail contacts (I have over 800 people in there). I can't seem to separate them as I only have the option to hide my Hotmail contacts which then also hides my phone contacts. Any ideas what I can do?
- I now can't use the 820 as USB mass storage unit or plug it in to my Mac or work colleagues' without having to down load a program for each Mac I work with. Using my C7 I could drag and drop using PC or Mac. The program I do have to download is only for Mac OS X version 10.7 or later, I have OSX 10.6.8 on a home MBP and the Windows app doesn't work on it.
- I now can't watch any clips from Youtube or BBC News due to no Flash support, Youtube is one of the biggest sites in the world, so why ? If I don't need Flash then let me decided, don't do it for me.
- I can't adjust how my music sounds as I now don't have an EQ any more,
- Xbox Smartscreen doesn't work due to me working in the Middle East, why does where I live matter if I want to use the phone with my Xbox? The Nokia seller said I could use with my Xbox, I can't. I was looking forward to this as it was one of the selling points for me.
One of the main reasons I loved my Nokia C7 was that I could use it on both PC and Mac as I work with both every day. Now it looks like Nokia/Windows has gone the way of the Iphone/Apple's stupid garden, so unless things change this will be my last Nokia. I really want Windows 8 to work and get better (I'm not some Apple fan boy just in case you were wondering), but closing the phone off so it won't work with Apple/Adobe products seems to me not very thought out. I hope Nokia/Windows come together, work these things out and Windows let Nokia do what they do best and make phones.
12-29-2012, 09:20 AM #227
- 5 Posts
I would say that the lack of a notification center is the biggest issue to be solved on wp8 in the next version.
There are other little things that can be improved, such as upnp/dlna support, but these are (imho) secondary in a smartphone with respect the notifications management.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920
- 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM #229
Local sync, local sync, and local sync. Everything. I dont want to set up the phone again and again whenever I had to return it for repair. Or if I lost it. Like Apple does.
And I do not use the cloud because I do not want Microsoft to see my data. Period.
12-30-2012, 09:01 AM #231
- 493 Posts
These lists appear now and again. They can typically be grouped into just a handful of categories:
1. Incorrect or false statements. (8)
2. Things that are pretty much immaterial or not different than other modern phones. (6)
3. Complaints about integration, new ways of working, features already promised or requests rejected. (10)
4. Things that are really about wanting true multitasking or a file system and then some tools to deal with the consequences that come from having them. (5)
5. Things about volume controls and profiles. (8)
6. Things about dialing and call history. (5)
7. Other feature requests. (10)
- Cannot search your music collection on the phone, only in the Marketplace.
Better Search Options for Locally stored music on phone-
- Calendar scheduler has no weekly view and monthly view is non-zoomable.
Week view in Calendar
Make the monthly calendar view zoomable
- No cellular video call.
Native video calling is a must. Not everyone uses Tango-
- IE browser has no text reflow, no download capability and no offline reading.
Add Text Wrapping/Reflow to improve browsing experience!
- Cannot set alarm snooze interval.
Third party alarm app enhancements (custom sound & snooze time)-
Items in categories 1,2, and 3 I ignore. Items in category 4 I'm semi-interested in as a geek, but don't expect much action on because of the direction that Microsoft has apparently set for the platform. Categories 5, 6, and 7 are real opportunities for growth.
That said, posting missing features lists on third-party discussion forums might help you in the short term by getting the aggravation off of your chest, but it's not going to help you in the long term. Instead, providing feedback using the Microsoft-recommended mechanisms gives you a chance to let MS know what's important and for you to engage in a decent discussion with other users. For the five items in category 7 above, I've already found the best discussions going on at http://WindowsPhone.UserVoice.com. Go there. Engage in the discussion.
- 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM #232
My idea for a Notification Hub (note, I refer to it as a Hub, not a centre, in keeping with the theme of WP.) :-
Create and use a gesture that allows users to access the Notification Hub from anywhere on the phone. The Hub will have notifications in categories; Messages (sms, skype, email, tweets, facebook messages...basically any messaging service that runs on the phone), Updates (app and system updates), Downloads and whatever other category MS deems fit.
The Hub has an infinite scrolling system, like the Start Screen, where the first string of data of a message is displayed for each update, and to the right is a drop down arrow that displays the full data. For example, you get an sms message from Tom, in the Messages category, it reads "Hey man, I need to get that picture you took on..." V - With 'V' being the dropdown arrow to display the full message. You can also tap the message itself to be taken to the area of the phone that houses that message, so if its from a Skype user, Skype opens up. The very bottom of the message has a few icons/options that relate to the type of Notification you receive. For Texts you get Reply, Call, Delete. Updates: Update, Remind Me Later, Ignore. Downloads: Open, Delete.
The categories themselves are expandable with the little V beside them, as categories only display the last 3 Notifications for that category (So it's not cluttered like Android), and I'm sure users want a way to see all their notifications.
Swiping to the right from the Notification Hub brings up the app list. Swiping to the left carries you to the Start Screen.
What you guys think?
12-30-2012, 03:33 PM #233
- 1 Posts
My phone before this WP8 one (Nokia Lumia 820) was a Samsung (Focus I think, not sure, but it was near the launch of WP7). I sure do miss my old phone's black levels though. Wow, this 920 is not even close to it in that regard. In fact, I'm worried something's wrong with my 920 as the old Samsung obliterates it in black levels. Also miss how light weight the Sammy is, and the long battery life. Oh well... hopefully some of this improves.
So, for the thread topic... Not sure if any of these have been mentioned.
1. In the email applications, the ability to "Empty" a folder completely. I hate having to click on each email individually. Especially for the Junk folders.
2. I'd love for the Applications section to have something similar at the top as the Games section does, where it has your most recently used apps at the top. I'd love to see, just below that, your most used applications in the past month listed. Say top 5 of each. I would also like to have the ability to sort the entire apps or games list by the "most used" and not just alphabetical, where the most used app/game is at the top, then the next most used, then the next, etc, etc, etc.
3. The ability to edit you dictionary's custom added words with the ability to add words manually from there as well. It sucks if you accidentally add a misspelled word to reset your entire dictionary!
4. Add several more tile sizes. One would span the entire screen as the largest one does now, but be half the height. Another would be half the size of the smallest one now. Another would be half of the width of the screen (as the 2nd largest is now) but half the height. All of this would just allow extreme customization to allow me to group the same types of apps into one tile height space.
5. Speaking of the above, I would LOVE the ability to add a custom tile that is a folder, named by yourself. Where when you select this Tile/Folder it takes you to a custom screen which has all of the apps/games of your choosing inside it. Basically just like the "Games" tile does now. But you choose what you want in it.
6. Some kind of notifications ribbon at the top that shows which items have notifications currently. A central place showing all notifications.
7. The ability to show the battery, wifi-lte-3g, etc. info at the top at all times.
8. The ability to set the lock screen time to any amount of seconds/minutes I chose. Not just 1, 3, 5, minutes.
9. More brightness settings instead of low, med, high. I would like ultra-low, low-med, med-high & ultra-high to be added as choices and for the Auto setting to also take advantage of these in-between settings.
10. The ability to choose the color of text on all the phone settings pages.
11. Add Flash and Java support.
12. The ability to use custom images for Tiles/Folders.
13. Support to direct connect to a Windows 8 PC or Laptop and have control in the exact same way the smart glass works on Xbox 360 with the ability to connect with this functionality from anywhere, not just when your in range of the machine (or do they currently have this?).
14. I would love to know if I already have an app installed when browsing apps/games and not have to go into the app and select it before I find out.
15. Option for the app store to NOT show apps/games I already have.
16. In the marketplace, an option/link I can click on that shows all of the apps/games I already paid for. This helps in future phone upgrades as a place I can go to and get all of the apps/games I bought on a previous phone. Also, the ability to "Download and Install all missing apps/games" from that list (just a timesaver).
Last edited by shpankey; 12-30-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added
- 12-31-2012, 12:41 AM #234
im not saying i don't like w8p...i like it a lot, but does it have the ability to select all the messages in a email box (when you link them together), can you delete them all or do you have to click one by one. that gets annoying as ****
12-31-2012, 08:53 PM #235
- 14 Posts
- 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM #237
- 01-01-2013, 01:13 PM #239
- 01-01-2013, 02:05 PM #240
- 01-01-2013, 03:24 PM #241
- 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM #243
01-03-2013, 02:38 AM #244
- 17 Posts
Having purchased numerous WP7/WP8 handsets, it's been a rewarding, frustrating and interesting experience. As with any "new" platform, being an early adopter is usually an active choice, but now Windows Phone is becoming more established, and Microsoft keep reiterating their long-term intentions and goals, it's time for Windows Phone to get serious, and add functionality.
Now, I buy each phone for what it's like out of the box, but also, in the case of Windows Phone, to see and use the platform as it develops. But to me the update process and functionality expansion is taking too long. In retrospect, WP7 should have shipped with many of the features in WP8, and really WP8 should have many of the following. It's a shame, but as with not being able to delete PDF files - with WP it's two steps forward, one step back.
Here's what I'd like to be added to WP8, before the release of Windows Phone 9:
-Ability to delete downloaded PDF files
-Notification light support (Make this user/OEM optional, and fully functional. Different colours for different types of notification, user configurable, with for instance 5 applications - Email, SMS, Twitter, Facebook, Phone etc)
-USB audio out, standard across all devices (docking heaven)
-Drag down music controls over currently open app to change artist/browse collection etc, drag back up when done
-A well implemented notification system - but allow the ability for users to turn off certain applications from accessing the hub/feed - and to filter by specific applications or notifications
-Pin settings/Toggle tiles (Natively built in ability to pin settings, such as WIFI to the home screen, which come with a toggle on them to enable/disable and tap to enter the settings page)
-More tile colours/Start screen backgrounds (Perhaps some akin to those in Windows 8, or slightly moving ones - dreamscene-esk )
-Improved multitasking - closing applications should be easier and more fluid, double pressing the back key twice is a bit of an annoyance. Let's have gestures, or something, instead.
-Phone profiles - under settings, allow user customisable profile settings, which can be cycled through with the current ringer+vibrate button
-Custom text/email/notification sounds - or just add a lot more
-Ability to remove emotions from text messaging, there are so many now, and I don't want to use them - can I turn them off and have the WP7 keyboard back please
-Pull down gesture from the top of the screen to access toggles/system information/mobile settings etc - fits both with the "glance and go" philosophy of WP and Windows 8.
-Integrated "counters" - let me see call time, text and data usage, as well as where who numbers are made up from, integrated with the OS, with live tile support of remaining allowances
-Improve the sync experience dramatically, use Windows Media Player, or improve the Windows 8 Xbox Music application, but do something other than current options (but keep drag and drop too)
-More control over OS settings - enable always on music controls on the lock screen
-Screensavers - showing time/clock or SMS/email/call notifications (this would be really nice) - although battery life may be an issue, have it user configurable and hey presto.
-Ability to password protect any application
-Allow the removal of OS features, such as Office, Kids Corner etc to save space
-Use the start screen/lock screen in LANDSCAPE - then maybe we may see some more successful qwerty hardware
-Call block (I mean seriously!)Phones: HTC Windows Phone 8S, Blue // Nokia Lumia 800, Cyan // HTC Titan (no longer used).
Tablets: Microsoft Surface RT (ordered) // iPad 2nd Generation
Occupation: IP student // Business Manager for a small Ltd company.
01-03-2013, 08:17 AM #247
- 2 Posts
Using HTC X8 now, realized that the previous build in panorama and scene function in camera has been removed?! no more FM radio as well.. my previous HTC Radar have that :(
Besides, the brightness is still too bright in HTC X8 even though I had adjusted the brightness to the lowest..
Other than speed, sms backup and file sending via bluetooth, my previous HTC Radar seem to have better sound quality and nicer screen color display than the current HTC X8, is the problem with WP8 or HTC X8?? seem like it is downgrading.. :(
- 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM #248
- Have the settings tile display the current state (on/off) of each radio (cell, data, wifi, bluetooth, gps, airplane).
- allow deep linking (tiles) to each of the top-level items in settings.
- Add a new screen in settings (in addition to the current two: settings, applications). This new screen would be the screen taken to when you first open the settings app. It would simply be a list of toggles for each of the radio settings and perhaps a few other common settings options. Alternatively, place these toggles at the top of the main settings screen in the settings app.
- Figure out a way to make tiles interactive like Android Widgets... For ex. perhaps I can long hold on a wifi tile which adds an option in the drop down menu to toggle the state of the wifi radio.
- A notification center is an absolute must. Moreover it must be easily accessible (not via tapping an app or tile). If for no other reason than for accessibility. WP has so many features that make it appealing for someone's who's blind (can do most basic tasks by voice), but if a toast notification is missed, a blind person would NEVER be able to see tile counts, hence NEVER be able to access notifications without assistance. A notification center should include accessability option... reread all toasts or something similar.
- If a notification comes in while WP's tell me is still reading a prior notification, tell me ignores the new notification. WP should queue up notifications so that no notification is missed by tell me. The current behavior simply makes the accessability options a joke.
- While I do understand the behavior of the capacitive back button (namely how it doesn't jump to higer level screens if an app has been resumed from the task manager screen), I feel it's confusing and doesn't work well. Make the back button ALWAYS return to a prior screen in the current app, or close the app when tapped from the app's main screen.
- 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM #249
Most of my list would be a re-hash of posters before me (e.g. notification center, weekly view on calendar, custom alerts). I have to confess that I didn't care too much about having a notification center but agreed that if it was important to other people, then WP needs it. That changed the other day, when I heard and saw from a distance that my phone received a notification. I unlocked my phone and I guess the app that triggered the notification wasn't on my Start screen so I never knew what it was. The notification was gone and I never knew what it was. I suppose I could've gone through all my apps to see which one triggered it but I didn't want to do that at that moment. DISCLAIMER: I'm on WP 7.5 however this problem would've been the same with WP8 if my app wasn't pinned to the Start screen nor added to the notification row.
Last edited by aubreyq; 01-03-2013 at 01:59 PM.
- 01-03-2013, 11:54 AM #250
- By MrBacon42 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
- By shubhashish in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 47Last Post: 01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
- By avaryj in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 40Last Post: 11-13-2011, 01:16 AM
- By Pronk in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 8Last Post: 10-16-2011, 01:26 AM