01-16-2013, 01:27 PM #378
- 222 Posts
It's like half the people involved in this debate don't seem to understand that notifications can be generated by apps NOT pinned to start. It's also possible to receive more notifications than will fit on a live tile. It's just insane to think that live tiles replace a central notification event list.
- 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM #380
My opinion, but it's possible that Microsoft wanted to offer a notifications centre in a manner that fully complies with Windows Phone's user paradigm. I don't think putting another horizontal slide on the main-screen would be as difficult as perhaps maintaining the current order - but still offering the centre.
They might be doing something more elaborate, something that makes effective use of the live tiles but can also interface with the lock screen. On the other hand, having an option in the lock screen would force people to choose between different utility apps, e.g. you'd have to take down Weather Flow or Facebook in order to see your notifications on the lock screen.
So the other option would be to offer something that includes weather, perhaps stocks as well as notifications within one cohesive app, and in turn, allow that app to present all of that info on the lock-screen (at user's direction). They can go a few steps further and integrate Bing Wallpapers to it as well. Or, they could do something akin to Kid's Corner where you slide horizontally from lock...or something crazier where you have multiple layers on the lock screen, allowing each layer to be occupied by a different app.
When all of these options are on the table, and if they're serious about avoiding a half-assed attempt, things like this can take time.
- 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM #381
That's the problem for Microsoft though--putting in place a notification center is tantamount to admitting that their UI doesn't work.
01-16-2013, 01:42 PM #384
- 222 Posts
- 01-16-2013, 01:49 PM #385
I love my WP8 ATIV S too...but coming from WM6.5 I want my missing features back in WP8!
- FM Radio!
- Being able to save and run apps on micoSD cards!
- Giving people options on music player? Etc... Let us have WinAmp player 😎
- More options in options like with power plugin being able to run the phone full out...full, on battery go back to lower option....?
- Ring & Vibration separate option!
- Date with the time? Having full date details on top!
- File Explore on the phone would nice! Right now I have to plugin to my PC to look around my files. 😒
- Custom UI options? Like SPB Mobile Shell....not saying live tiles are bad...maybe like add more pages...add a left custom page?
- Bluetooth 4.0
- TellMe badly needed a update make it = to Apple Sir & Google Voice would be nice?
- Make use of WP8 hardware....? Push the Adreno 225 GPU to the limits! Etc etc 😎
- Bring back all features WM6.5 had! Now in buttery smooth WP8!!
- WP8.1 better be = to iOS6.1 and Android 4.2.2! "Soon Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie" what then?
I Believe Microsoft can do all this and they will! 😎ATIV S is LIFE
01-16-2013, 02:03 PM #386
- 275 Posts
Here is a simple suggestion. Why not make the notification center into an app. You can then pin the app to the start screen and can live update with counter for number of notifications. Click on the app and you can check all notifications in detail.
- 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM #392
Since I don't use a ton of apps, this is the best example I can come up with about wanting a notification center.
ESPN Score Center: 3rd party app, so it can't run in the background. A toast comes in with a score update. If I don't look at my phone in time, it's gone... forever... I have no clue that it was an ESPN toast. It doesn't look like WP lets apps have custom toast sounds like iOS does (A kick but feature if you ask me..)
There needs to be a place for toasts like that to go. A central collection spot. It doesn't replace Live Tiles, it compliments them.
P.S. My post was a must read. Hehe, I kid, I kid.
01-16-2013, 04:44 PM #394
- 22 Posts
I've been using Windows phone since inception and its funny that lack of notification center never really bothered me till everyone started complaining about it. Now I keep thinking I'm missing a bunch of super awesome notifications when I'm not looking. I think I'm starting to get mad about it, so "BAH! BAH!" at me cause I'm a total sheep.
- 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM #395
- 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM #396
If they add a feature in the future that is great for anyone who cares but if they do not, it doesn't impact my use of the phone at all. I have yet to encounter a situation in which I want more information on the lock screen, or I have found the current system inefficient. In fact, I have more often found I want less Information visible on the lock screen. Again, if they add something, good for you. If they do not, you should ask yourself why you chose to buy a phone lacking something you consider to be such a vital feature. You should also try posting suggestions to Microsoft. I seriously doubt the company has reps hanging out here to note everyone's brilliant ideas.
In the meantime, consider the fact that the lack of something you want does not constitute a fatal flaw in the OS for everyone else. This debate is hardly even a debate. It is essentially a few people insisting they must have something and others saying they don't care if it is ever added. Go to Microsoft if it is so important to you, but stop trying to make it into the event of the century for a lot of people who do not otherwise care.
01-17-2013, 12:16 AM #397
- 85 Posts
All that is required is API for notifications. Let app developers do the rest. Not only do you get a notification centre (or none if you so wish), you have a multitude of apps to choose from. Some of which will show basic notifications, others might remind you every x minutes or have advanced filtering or blink the camera flash or forward to email, messaging, etc.
- 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM #398
01-17-2013, 09:48 AM #399
- 557 Posts
Why not just gather all notifications on a new page under the me-tile?
Throw in a clear-all button, an ability to mark all notifications from a single app, and mark individual notifications like the email system them clearing the marked ones.
Very nonintrusive and IMO sounds like a decent fix?
- 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM #400
- By MrBacon42 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
- By shubhashish in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 47Last Post: 01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
- By avaryj in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 40Last Post: 11-13-2011, 01:16 AM
- By Pronk in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 8Last Post: 10-16-2011, 01:26 AM