- 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM #454
- 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM #457
That said, the OP is correct - although if you don't use those features it may seem picky, but if you do, you notice it right away. The only thing I will say is that iOS didn't have those features in it's first couple of versions either. If you are going to use WP you are going to have to accept that it is still not as mature as iOS (nor as fragmented as Android.)
I wish that there was something like Facetime and that it could be used cross platform. I also would love to see
1. the lock screen come on when a notification comes through so I can see what the notification is without having to activate the screen,
2. the ability to pin just a phone number to the start screen so I could simply call my wife without having to open the contact and select the telephone link,
3. the ability to turn all the sound off with a simple flick of a switch (not software but still)
For starters... ;-)
Last edited by scubus; 01-20-2013 at 06:20 PM.
- 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM #458
1) Apple Maps fiasco
2) Nokia Maps/Navigation etc
3) Bigger screen for old eyes
4) NFC payments ... still waiting
5) Great camera
6) Great style
Having got here, I add to that:
1) Live Tiles
2) Really great MyStocks App which links via SkyDrive with my PC using csv format
3) Great weather app 'Weather & Surf Australia'
and plenty more
- 01-20-2013, 05:37 PM #459
I wish it had all of those. Folders is the least important out of those for me, but I'd be very happy to see MS implement all of those features. It shouldn't be that hard.
And #1 is a feature of WP, unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.
- 01-20-2013, 05:42 PM #460
I agree on the screen size. Honestly, I wouldn't have thought that half an inch would make that much difference, but I exchanged the Nokia for the iPhone 5 due to the amount of Macs I use at home, pictures, iTunes etc. and a day later exchanged it a again for the Nokia, and the readability for my old eyes (and my near vision is only 20/30 so not that poor) was one major reason.
I also find the Live Tiles to be a refreshing way to organize your personal apps - much different than rows and rows of app. Better? I don't know for sure but certainly more entertaining and different.
I have a larger thread from a switcher around here someplace for anyone considering the move from iOS to WP.
- 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM #462
Unless both of my 920's are broken, or I missed the setting, my phone chimes when there is a notification but I have to fumble with the phone to turn on the screen and see what the notification actually is. I liked on my iPhone when the chime comes in I can just look at the screen and see what the notification is and the first few lines.
And I add to my list that I would like to see the call answering steps changed. I don't like to have to swipe the screen up before I can push another button to answer or ignore the call. An unecessary extra step in my opinion.
[edit:] Skype is available on all platforms, including iPad. I will be lookikng into it. Thanks.
Last edited by scubus; 01-20-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: add info
- 01-20-2013, 06:01 PM #463
Those features will probably come. Then again, Windows is a whole different mobile OS then Android and iPhone. It will have new things come that will be possibly better, and there will be things you miss.
- 01-20-2013, 06:07 PM #464
I too am a former iPhone user, all the way from 2 - 4s & am very happy with my new HTC 8x apart from (what seems to me) basics of the OS that are missing
Notifications certainly need improvement
Separate the volume from apps and ringtones
Better functionality for Facebook & twitter
The biggest for me is the car crash that is xbox music! Splitting albums into separate artists for compilations as an example is pitiful & that App2 "thing" as a file manager we are all pointed to is shocking
Basic stuff, all software based & I really hope they are sorted, even based on the number of threads and votes surely M$ will listen one day?!
I know the apps "we" miss from iOS will eventually appear but these criticisms are down to M$ really to change
- 01-20-2013, 06:09 PM #465
I don't know if you've noticed that when you get a text message, the lock screen will activate for a few seconds and show a preview of the message at the top. I'd at least like to see that blinking LED to let you know that you got something.
- 01-20-2013, 06:16 PM #466
- 01-20-2013, 06:18 PM #467
I don't want WP to be iOS - or I sould have simply purchased an iPhone, but if iOS was on the Nokia, who knows. I was looking for somethign different. I'd really love to see Microsoft come up with unique solutions to the issues raised here, not just a recreation of the solutions Apple created.
- 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM #469
Ok, make that 5 seconds, I just ran a test. Now I'm wondering if the notification that you choose to have with"detailed status" is the one that it's gonna activate the lock screen as I described.
01-20-2013, 07:19 PM #472
- 287 Posts
- 01-21-2013, 01:34 AM #473
- 01-21-2013, 01:43 AM #474
Equally the choice if media manager would be good and an OS that can handle a compilation album
Just my thoughts, my Win8 phone is a breath of fresh air, and being able to use windows explorer to drag & drop a God send 😎
Last edited by eric12341; 02-01-2013 at 10:40 PM.
01-21-2013, 12:18 PM #475Red Lumia 920--AT&T
- 10 Posts
- By MrBacon42 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM
- By shubhashish in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 47Last Post: 01-23-2012, 09:51 PM
- By avaryj in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 40Last Post: 11-13-2011, 12:16 AM
- By Pronk in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 8Last Post: 10-16-2011, 12:26 AM