- 01-22-2013, 04:37 AM #476
Hi, i am new around here. I have the HTC 8x, lovely phone, good camera and i like WP8 having had ios and android in the past. My one question is...can i download MP3's from internet links or can i stream MP3s directly from a website? when i try and do this it says 'this file cannot be played on this device'. By stream/download i do not mean from a client like deezer or spoitfy i mean a straight up link to a hosted file that has been posted online.
ps...HURRY UP WITH SPOTIFY, Microsoft...it is getting annoying now!
01-24-2013, 06:17 PM #478
- 20 Posts
To update my gripes so far as I have been "chatting" with @winphonesupport on Twitter regarding my music grouping issue (compilation albums not being together but listed as artists only) & have had the following response after I uploaded tracks to my SkyDrive and they had a look at them:
@Vic_Tye OK, we had some time to play around with this and we feel it should be something to be looked in. Don't believe it's with... ^EB
@Vic_Tye ...the sync app but with the way the phone looks at the files on the phone but we can't be sure. ^EB
So they are listening
01-24-2013, 07:37 PM #480
- 26 Posts
01-26-2013, 11:37 AM #481
- 61 Posts
What I don't like:
1. No notification center
2. No file management system
3. Separate volume control for music, ringtones etc
4. More info needed on lockscreen
5. To change basic settings one has to hunt down the settings options all the time...no easy way out even if u make a live tile..
6. Syncing with PC is through a awful software (what the heck MS...what were u guys thinking, Zune was better)
7. Closing apps is a pain in the **s
8. Lack of apps
Yet I am using my 920 because the OS has better feel than Android/ iOS and am keeping my fingers crossed that nxt update should fix most of these issues..if not than this is my last WP device..
- 01-26-2013, 09:39 PM #482
- 01-27-2013, 05:31 AM #484
I like WP8 but i dislike some of it features like facebook app, it's completly broken and just a rubbish app, integrated "social" app like me and people works well but it shows that im logged on pc instead of phone...
- 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM #487
I actually like the daily view in the calendar. I agree the month view sucks and the agenda view isn't very good either. The ToDo list almost useless. And definitely, there should be a search function; although there is an app that you can use to search your calendar.
I highly recommend Appointiles. I pinn that to my start screen since it shows me my next 3/4 appointments and I also set it to dark background for the tile which makes it look awesomely cool if your phone background is black. Furthermore, you can also pin a secondary tile to display the month view in a medium size tile which is very handy. I still have the default calendar pinned but have it set in the smallest tile size. I need to access it to add appointments or view the daily schedule view.
For ToDo, I highly suggest "ToDo Free". It's amazingly simple and includes all the functionality you really need. No ads too even though it's free.
01-27-2013, 11:56 PM #489
- 13 Posts
WP8 is an amazing take on what a mobile OS should be. That said there are basic functionalities that are glaringly absent.
- My number one complaint is the lack of separate volume controls. Is there an issue with getting a license with patents for this? MS pay up, this is a MUST have!
- Need an actual back button in internet explorer. this could be a displayed button on the screen, the back button on the phone does not function properly as a browsing back button.
- Battery percentage readout (minor complaint but again a very simple thing that should be included in any modern OS)
- Desktop syncing software is the worst piece of software Ive seen since Windows ME, it is unusable.
- Closing apps is not intuitive and clumsy, you should be able to select which apps to leave open and close, not just close in the order that you last opened. (you can work around this by bring up the app that you want to close then hitting back. but to leave open the last app you opened, this is a giant pain...)
- Better options for contact management. I like using facebook, but absolutely do NOT want every facebook contact in my address book. Also if you could sort the contacts into groups (ie, work vs personal) that would be very helpful.
I actually have little to no complaints about the notifications, works fine for me. And the lack of apps is a problem yes, but will improve with time, and this cannot really be blamed on MS. You want more apps? Developers want more people in the OS for it to be worth their time to create quality apps that they can make a profit off of. So if you want more apps, talk up your new phone to your friends and get everyone you know to buy windows. This will only improve as the windows market share improves.
01-28-2013, 02:11 AM #490
- 65 Posts
Let me add to this. WP8 is a great platform, its young and its going to be awesome as it gets mature. What I don't get is why Microsoft did not do their homework? Are they using this phone? I mean let me start with this:
1. Backing up and synching is so tough Why? Android and Apple has very good implementations
2. Notification. I think they can do this via Me tile, all notifications are already there its just a matter of developers taking advantage of this
3. Search. I should be able to search even SMS because sometimes you need it and be able to delete a particular thread in SMS
4. Dual live tiles. Okay some people may have to create a lot of tiles. It would be good to have this feature. hit the tile and it will pop-up two icons for apps.. just thinking
5. Multi-tasking should be improved
Last edited by eric12341; 02-01-2013 at 11:43 PM.
01-31-2013, 12:09 AM #491
- 205 Posts
To me, Windows Phone is great but seriously, there's nothing in this world that's perfect and Windows Phone 8 didn't get away with it.
- The real long list of the applications menu when swiping the screen to the left made it difficult to look for apps and they seem cluttered.
- The lack of 'Search' feature in the phone is a major loss. I mean, sometimes we need to search for messages, calendar events, contacts or anything quickly and Windows Phone 8 doesn't have this. It has the Bing search instead which is all useful for web but not to search things in the phone.
- Inability to close down apps directly from the multitasking screen so I don't have to go back, and back and back all over again to get out of applications.
- The contacts management should be much more organised. I mean, they're all mixed up. Hotmail, Gmail, phone contacts they're all mixed up into one place called 'People' and somehow if I filter the contacts to just only phone contacts, all seem to gone nowhere and I'm left with zero contacts. Microsoft needs to look into that.
- The apps like Facebook, Twitter and Skype should be more stable. I do sometimes experience problems with these apps and sometimes, they kind of stopped responding and completely quit the app. Strange...
- I also favor a separate volume control. Currently, music and ringing volumes are combined as a single volume and whenever I listen to music and done with it, I have to raise the volume back otherwise I wouldn't hear the ringing volume. This needs to have a look into and I always wonder why they done this?
- Finally, a quick access to completely silent the phone. Currently, we have to go to settings and switch of the Ringer and Vibration in order to achieve a complete silent profile. That's a lot of work comparing to just press the volume button, touch the top right of the screen to change from Ring + Vibrate, Vibrate and Silent.
That's all that I can remember after 2 weeks of using my Nokia Lumia 620 running on Windows Phone 8. I'll let you guys know more once I explore to the depths of this OS.Nokia Lumia 620 - White
01-31-2013, 08:36 AM #492
- 38 Posts
There's no way to scroll to the top of a page quickly like on iOS where you can tap the status bar and be brought to the top, it's especially annoying on web Facebook for example if you scroll down the feed and try to have a conversation at the same time, having to scroll up so much or even just refresh the page. Hope Microsoft does something about this soon
- 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM #493
I may be the only one who thinks this but I really want the OS to be similar to what Windows 8 and the new Xbox dashboard is like. While I love my WP, I do think there is potential to sell even more, if they allow you to swipe left and right. For a lot of users, it feels like you're stuck only scrolling down and down, which is sometimes frustrating if you have a lot of apps.
Perhaps even make a "hub" similar to what you have on the Xbox - you press the logo button on the controller and you are able to see important notifications, quickly getting to settings, etc etc. Not sure how they could do that but I think it's possible. There's a ton of potential for WP that's already present in Windows 8 and the Xbox, and it only makes sense for Microsoft to have something similar on their smartphone, truly making it feel like a linked ecosystem.
And please fix Xbox Music, I hate that I still have to use my first generation ipod touch.
- 02-01-2013, 10:27 AM #494
FYI our phones don't multitask. All of those apps in the multitask window are actually already closed. Fast resuming is completely different from multitasking.
Music and navigation is all the multitasking we have.
Would be nice if they changed this.
- 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM #495
- 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM #497
- By MrBacon42 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
- By shubhashish in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 47Last Post: 01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
- By avaryj in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 40Last Post: 11-13-2011, 01:16 AM
- By Pronk in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 8Last Post: 10-16-2011, 01:26 AM