02-02-2013, 01:53 PM #501
- 5 Posts
you are absolutely right !
It is so irritating that I cant save my contacts directly on to my PC as a backup ?
We are quite a few who doesn't like the idea of having our stuff floating around in this Stupid Cloud
And what is it with these stupid Folders that you can acsess through your explorer on your PC ?
I tried to make a new folder with some of my audio books And they just got mixed up together with my music
I hate that !
Of course I would like to see my folders and then choose the app to run the files ...
- 02-02-2013, 03:08 PM #503
That said, unlike you I live in the agenda view as I get to see what is coming up.....and my todo list on there is my lifeline. Syncs perfect to Outlook via. Exchange. If you are not an exchange user I can see why it would not be very good.
- 02-03-2013, 10:06 AM #504
I came across this thread and decided to post some of my thoughts and observations. As a Microsoft user for over twenty years, I am very disturbed by the current direction of the company and felt I needed to vent. I’m sure all of which I say has already been said, but Microsoft needs to know their failings.
I just bought the Nokia Lumia 820 running WP8 and am very confused. I did a lot of research before the purchase, but nothing prepared me for what I am experiencing with this phone. Here are my observations:
1. Email: I assumed that since this was a Microsoft operating system that it would seamlessly integrate with Exchange. Boy was I wrong. The mail client really stinks. I am unable to figure out how to set up specific email settings. I would like to change the font / size of all outgoing email; ensure that all outgoing email is sent in HTML format; set a blanket “always download pictures” for all messages; I’m sure most of this is due to my ignorance, but why is it so disorganized?
2. Text and MMS messaging themes; they are very plain looking. Is there any way to get a “skin” or theme for the text messaging application? It’s too plain…As is the entire theme of the phone. What, no personalization? Why Microsoft, Why?
3. Why doesn’t the keyboard go to full size when in landscape mode? This seems like a no brainer, but apparently it does not work; can someone please explain?
4. Why does a lot of the text appear to be off-center? I know there are more options by swiping, but this is very unsightly. It’s as if no planning whatsoever went into this operating system. I don’t like the lowercase font and the lack of backgrounds. Honestly, the layout and appearance is horrid.
5. The contacts or “People” app is abysmal. It is so disorganized that I don’t know where to begin. First of all, when I call a contact, I want their picture to come up full screen. One would think this should be by default, but apparently Microsoft doesn’t feel it's necessary.
6. Notifications…Are they kidding? I know the live tiles are supposed to take that place, but c’mon let’s be realistic. The live tiles, in my opinion are distracting (to say the least) and disorganized.
7. Inability to change separate ringer and system volume levels. This is such a basic feature, yet Microsoft doesn’t provide for it. This is terribly disappointing.
8. There doesn’t seems to be a quick way to get to the settings. I would prefer to have a quick button or some type of drop down to get to my settings to change stuff on the fly.
9. I am unable to find a way to display multiple pictures in the photo album, and select the specific one I want to email (like in Android, for example). It sees to only let you scroll one picture at a time. Maybe it’s my fault and I am missing something – if so, then so be it and I will take the blame.
10. Why do the battery, WIFI, and cellular indicators disappear after a few seconds? Who thought that was a good idea? Not knowing the battery and signal strength is crazy. I really can’t comprehend as to why this was done.
What does WP need to do in order to succeed? At the very minimum fix everything I have stated as well as everyone on this thread. They also need to allow extensive customizations. I should be able to customize my phone; since a cell phone is a very personal device, one would think this would be available.
I am so disappointed in Microsoft not only for this, but for Windows 8 as well. I feel as if they are trying to drive people away. Things which have once been intuitive in Microsoft products, are now counterintuitive. There is no way I will ever buy a Windows 8 computer. Furthermore, I am returning this WP8 (Lumia 820) today. It’s a nice piece of hardware running horrible software – what a shame.
I feel betrayed my Microsoft for releasing such an inferior and disorganized product. Since I run dual platforms, I will make my next purchase a new iMac and will pick up a Samsung GS3 later today. I currently have the GS2 and it works well, but it’s time for an upgrade. That’s why I bought the WP8; my big mistake.
Sorry for the rambling, but this had to come out. Good-bye Microsoft…forever.
(Posted from my MacBook running OS X 10.7.5)
- 02-03-2013, 02:28 PM #505
Ok dude it sounds like you done absolutely no research before getting a WP8 phone.
Ok there are things that Microsoft has dropped the ball on (notifications, volume control etc) but it just purely sounds like you would rather an android.
I personally love everything about the windows phone. And I hope Microsoft take note and just keep on improving it! Woop!
02-03-2013, 04:49 PM #506
- 507 Posts
- 02-04-2013, 12:01 AM #507
Seriously, bizarre list.
- 02-04-2013, 04:30 AM #508
The thing Windows Phone, is people serious about the platform. In my opinion, I think some of the problems could have easily or quickly been resolved with either a better initiative or a emphasize on pushing the issue. However, I feel like some of the issues and glitches that plague the device is getting pushed on the backburner due to the company's other needs and projects which is terrible. Some of the issues are comical and are like "really" moments, like how can you forget to include that or why wasn't that thought of.
When your playing from behind in a competitive job market you have to give it all you got and be quick and lay it all on the line, and from my perspective Microsoft delivering their OS late to the party and being somewhat lackluster with updates and improving the OS they have no time to be only putting one leg in the pool.
In other words, while everyone is quick and up to speed with changes and fixes like cable internet, Microsoft for some reason is still 56K dial up modem.
- 02-04-2013, 07:12 AM #509
02-04-2013, 08:47 AM #510
- 2 Posts
1- Windows Phone 8 Lackings
a) Items that Must be in a Mobile OS which Windows Phone Missing
• Call duration information is not exist in OS (I still can't believe)
• There is No Notification center. If you miss it to see. You miss it.
• Folderizing those bunch list of application list cannot be scrolled faster. And I believe it should have been foldered.
• Photos doesn’t have custom folders. It supposed to be added for customization and also a security key would be good.
• There is no Sound profiles center you need to close vibrating in a long way from settings/sounds.
• Google apps are missing including YouTube at all. No Google apps is something really to be sad.
• Percentage for battery level is not exist natively.
• GPS toggle does not exist so location finding is not working in airplane mod. GPS doesn't work even if you downloaded offline maps and turned wifi on. You need to have cellular signal to make GPS on. So definitely GPS toggle must be build.
• Location center should be letting user to choose which application can use which not.. It is just one option to be on n off..
And somehow periodically I see location icon on top even those map and location background are fully limited, and I can't see what application is currently using my location. And this makes me feel phone is going against my privacy.
• When theme color is changed, OS based native tiles is changing color instantly but the Tiles that have been created by applications, doesn't change color unless being run once. And you need to open all those apps to update new theme color.
• Skype is fully buggy that doesn't let video chat. Neither doesn't work in background fully online. Cannot call online iphone users etc.. It may not be considered as developed application.
• Whatsapp is buggy. Developer said that it’s because of windows platform and porting issues. If you lock screen in whatsapp there won't be any new notification, you need to check it manual. This is so annoying. So after you write you need to leave application. And lock phone to receive notifications. Also It can't send any picture from screen shots. Additional when you return back to application it always needs to be loaded and makes you waited 3 seconds every time which is a huge time that being wasted.
• Cannot close applications. Windows Phone OS cannot close any application. You need to hammer back button 15 times to resume beginning. But somehow also it’s not enough in some cases. There are some apps that asks to be exit and needs confirmations. Some apps directly being closed , some apps goes back inside its navigation like IE n Flickr until start page and then being closed. So Windows phone does not have ability to close app in one standard way.
• In the messaging and, email There is no “Select all option” ... :( u need to select one by one each mail or message to erase
• I don't know outside my country but in computer when I open find my phone service that never works. It doesn't work at all. Even it is turned on settings. Nokia asked me to ask it Microsoft. And Microsoft didn't reply me. I think for some countries location services doesn't work. In Turkey it does not work.
• Phone alarm should have been working even phone is turned off.
• Text writing should have undo with shaking, sometimes when using shortcut words over keyboard if you press wrong word u cannot go back and fix it so need to re write all. Shake left should make undo which is not exist currently..
• Phone storage does not show you size of application music and pictures. Just there is one cumulative bar which is so useless to show overall instead of separating each kind.
• Where I spend the battery? U won’t know where. This should be adapted because there are lots of people discussing it in forums that battery levels are normal if not for what reason. And since it is new OS and we all end users are behaved like testers, we need to make, things certain.
• Wi-Fi saved passwords or rest of other password doesn't being seen again even there is a thick that says “show password”. There is this option but completely in functional and doesn’t let you to see passwords.
• 3rd party music or video downloader apps makes its work. But those downloaded music’s are not being able to reach from native music applications. It just stays in the 3rd party applications library and can be reach from it. Native windows music player should have been reach all mp3 which is downloaded.
• Rotation option doesn't exist. It is mandatory to be rotated if u hold it horizontally. And it makes phone so un stable in bed when writing. That is so annoying that phone doesn't has this option. It is mandatory to use it vertical.
• When typing text in a text box, there is no standard to how to hide keyboard. Every app works different. You cannot say a certain way to hide keyboard, and scroll to see what has been written. Also scrolling doesn't have a standard way either. Also, Text assisting, words are appearing in some apps, but not appearing in some. It doesn’t have standard too. There should have been one way for everything!
• Physical search button should be configured to run a search application which can be change into Google yahoo etc.. Also search button same time should have been looking email contents and apps
• Random reboots. I can't believe that happens almost every 3 days once and it has been reported more often, with some series..
b) Optional Additions
• There is no Instagram
• Multitasking gestures
• Unable to find enough local apps for turkey,
• Dropbox would be nice addition
• Lock button and keyboard click sound is bad for me. Should be personalized
• Even it has graphics card, which game, exist to use it. We almost don't have a nice 3d game, to be impressed with graphics.
• There is no live tile that shows clock, and date same as HTC does. Also it would be good if native clock app live tile enhanced including selected city times rotating in tile.
• Since start menu is customizable with a theme color , all applications must have been force a icon color weather is native or theme color and user should pick it up how to be.
• Screen brightness is just tree Level doesn't let to make a fine setting. And long way to reach from settings,menu.
• People hub tile should be have an option to show people profile pics or not. Sometimes in formal situations, on the phone stupid profile pics makes me shame.. Also favorite persons should,be included. I don't,want to see some,of ppl there,and I don't,get in,what logic ppl hub selects those ppl
• There is Turkish language support,
There is Turkish keyboard
There is Turkish keyboard assistant
But there, is no voice command for, Turkish language. Downloadable content for languages is just a few. This technology is not completed for many.
Not only voice command but also
Bing search doesn't exist on my native language.
02-07-2013, 04:03 AM #513
- 1 Posts
I just wanted to add certain things which I was dissapointed to see not included in my Lumia 920 features.
1. Camera - video does not have zoom facility while recording a video - this should be a very important feature since the camera is suppose to be one of the unique feature in this phone. Zoom facility before starting a video is of no use at all. Secondly the zoom facility should be in the volume button instead of pinching the screen to do so, because when you pinch the screen, you cover the image which makes it difficult to judge the zoom amount, whereas when you have it in the volume key, you can do this without disturbing the view in on the screen.
2. Different volume control for each application - i think this has been widely discussed in many forums
3. I don't get PDF email attachments in the phone but those attachments are there when I check them in the PC.
4. PDF reader does not support password protected files. This issue has been raised in many forums but I really don't understand why MS still cannto fix it.
5. Flash player - many youtube and other videos do not play due to absence of a flash player whereas iOS and Android supports flash players.
6. Photos cannot be shared on Facebook immediately after you have clicked it or from the gallery- I checked many times from the photo by long tap on it which gives all the email accounts but not social sites like Facebook. I have to start Facebook app and then from there upload photo in the normal way by going in to the gallery and then selecting the photo....it is a very long process. When I had my symbian phone earlier, this was just one tap to share on FB.
Further to this, if I want to share a photo soon after I clicked one or selecting one from the gallery via Bluetooth, I cannot do this unless i get away from that screen, go in to the start screen, select bluetooh and then putting it on and have to come back to the previous screen to the photo to do this again. My previous symbian phone had the facility of sending it with just one long tap - just select Bluetooth and it would ask if you want to swhich bluetooth on and you just select "YES" and then the job is done.
7. Folders to organize apps etc - this feature also is needed very badly
8. There should be an option in Music+Video to enable and disable the videos played in other apps to go in to the "History" and also shold be a feature to delete "History", at present if you play a video or music by accident (which you are not suppose to) it goes into the history and that's it....you are not able to delete it from there- this also is a very important feature.
Some of the above said features are very minor things for MS and Nokia and hope they send a SW update for them very soon.
- 02-08-2013, 07:34 PM #514I don't know, but I'm starting to get a bit bored with my Windows Phone's home screen.
Don't fire at me, I LOVE NOKIA and WINDOWS PHONE.. It's just that.. I feel that the home screen is getting too dull.
Please fanboys, don't be delusional!
Windows Phone NEEDS backgrounds. Why? Just look at my home screen.
Look how awkward they look! Especially the ones with light background.
I'm so passionate about Nokia and Windows phone, that it really bums me out that the home screen is kind of limited.
Look, don't hate me, I love Microsoft and Nokia, but I hope we need to realize that WP8 needs backgrounds.
Background themes, pictures, even just abstract designs. I
The tiles needs to be more "solid".. it just looks like blocks of "cartoon" colours. There needs to be more gradient and dimensions, and variations in hues.
IMAGINE if Windows Phone 8 Start Screen LOOKS like the Windows 8 Start Screen!
This for example, is a very basic and simple background, BUT IT MAKES SOOO MUCH difference! It gives life, and depth!
And it brings more excitement to the Windows Experience!
02-08-2013, 07:55 PM #515
- 276 Posts
There isn't enough real estate on a phone with live tiles to see a background. Its not realistic to compare to an 11" tablet screen. If I had a choice on my tablet I'd rather have an extra row of tiles than see that little bit of background on W8.
02-08-2013, 09:10 PM #517
- 16 Posts
I'm just ready for Instagram and more apps. Its ashamed that LG is letting me use their N4 for 60 days and I now have all the apps and games in the palm of my hands due to them being lacked in Windows Phone. In my opinion Microsoft and these developers are BSing around. They have the components they need so why are they still sitting at the table as if they're back a step one. They need to get they're things together. I am a die hard Microsoft fan and I've used the Lumia 710, Radar 4G and currently use the HTC 8X but with LG and T-Mobile USA making me use the N4 for 60 as mandatory, Google can possibly win my love over WP8 because of the apps I've always wanted. Of course I'm going to continue to complain about how Android battery life sucks and what not, but I'd rather have resources then just a well built phone.
Microsoft needs to find a balance and throw out some more money to developers. I once tweeted on twitter. "I wonder how does @jessicaalba feel about not having @instagram on her @windowsphone" because it a true statement. Now my friends are playing some game called Ruzzle and I'm still left in pioneer time of not having anything. This sucks... I though Microsoft: Windows Phone was "Putting People First" as Joe Belfiore emphasized so many time.
- 02-08-2013, 09:21 PM #518
The Windows 8 start screen has a tonne of white space that allows for the tiles to breathe and for the background (and some personality) to shine through. All you guys wanted the gutter to be ditched, so congratulations, it is. The Windows Phone start screen is now strictly utilitarian, and as a result you don't have the white space to enjoy a background.
02-09-2013, 01:10 AM #524
- 326 Posts
Honestly just adding colored backgrounds would make that much of a difference to WP, and I think that's all the start screen would need to make it feel more "you". I like that idea a bit. Each phone looks nicer with certain colors I find, and for me it'd be black on red only because I have the HTC 8x :)
- By MrBacon42 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
- By shubhashish in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 47Last Post: 01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
- By avaryj in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 40Last Post: 11-13-2011, 01:16 AM
- By Pronk in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 8Last Post: 10-16-2011, 01:26 AM