- 02-09-2013, 02:22 AM #528Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!
- 02-09-2013, 03:30 AM #530Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.
Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
- 02-09-2013, 03:58 AM #532
The new WP8 tiles made it harder for me to find a layout I like. It's not easy to find a pleasing arrangement with the four tile sizes that have all a completely different "weight" and binding in changing tiles like Photos. Also the different colors of the Music and Games tiles don't make this easier.
But thinking that some background would solve this is in my opinion illusory. It would make things only even more complicated.
But if you look at Android or iOS there are many people who like a often chaotic and always glittery layout (glass effects, all these glass effects...) with flashy things and many different colors.
- 02-09-2013, 04:50 AM #534
Sorry, but I'd rather have a black background.
White seems too bright, and pictures? Space, effects, tiles.
The reason behind the lagginess of Symbian^3 was the slow CPUs, and having Theme Effects on (with an actual background) only worsened that.
It was also said that Aero decreased battery life of laptops running on Windows Vista. This is the same effect, by the way.
Though, I admit that concept pic looked GORGEOUS.
- 02-09-2013, 05:25 AM #537
I love Windows backgrounds. Its so cool. Just because no background on home screen. Let me guess you want a picture behind your messaging too, and your e-mail, how about when you turn your phone off there is a nice background. C'mon man really? Nothing is ever good enough for some people. Have to complain about something. It doesn't get more personal than a Windows phone.
02-09-2013, 08:02 AM #538
- 8 Posts
I've actually put this in a post regarding the Lumia 920 specifically, but I've amended it to remove the Nokia specific stuff here:
1. The photos are soft and lack sharpness or clarity (across all WP8 handsets - seems the camera software is at fault). Stupid things like not being able to enable / disable location tagging from within the actual camera app also makes me realise that they just don’t know what they’re doing.
2. The fact that it freezes monumentally, frequently and in different ways. So far the hardware buttons at the bottom have frozen, but the screen is usable or vice versa! Either way you have to press volume down and power for ages and then it finally resets itself as you can do nothing else.
3. No ability to lock the orientation of the phone. As I often like to read articles in bed this is an absolute nightmare for me.
4. The browser is so bad that it actually makes me want to punch the handset in the face. I can’t even be bothered to go into the various reasons that make it bad, but it is awful. No back or forward buttons, terrible rendering, incompatibility with EVERYTHING … I could go on.
5. Often when using a WiFi connection at a hotel there is a requirement to log in using their custom web login page. Of the 3 hotels that I have had the handset, it has only worked with one.
6. No fixed status bar if you would like it to be fixed. Battery indicator is woefully inadequate and third-party apps that address this do not update reliably.
7. Terrible integration of external services. Can’t push to G+ for most apps and often can’t even push to email and only get the facebook option.
8. No unified notification area. I cant even ask for a different tone for WhatsApp which makes it all the worse.
9. Outlook.com account doesn’t allow you to import your addresses from your address book! WTF!? Also the mail client looks awful and I find it totally unusable. I’ve barely checked my email on the move since owning this phone as it’s so bad.
10. Cant turn off ringtone and vibrate from the main menu. You can obviously turn one of the other off from the volume menu … but who cares if you want to turn both off it’s a boring 7 presses, touches or swipes!
11. When in a call, if you try and switch to another app (to find a contact, etc ...) it throws you back into the call screen without any warning. Infuriating.
12. Calendar is relatively primitive, with month view showing just a few letters rather than highlighting events.
13. Sharing a contact via SMS fails. I only tried this twice, but both times the message would not send and I had full signal.
14. Windows Store appears to be down with relative frequency. If it happens regularly with Google Play or the AppStore it's not something that I have previously witnessed, but have done on numerous occasions within the short time I've had the Lumia (I appreciate that this is not a Nokia issue, but it's continues to detract from the overall package).
15. Native media players are awful. No ability to drag the progress bar to fast forward videos or songs, although this is inconsistent. You can drag the progress bar of locally saved videos, but not streaming videos. Completely unable to do so on XBox Music or Nokia Music though; whether local content or streaming.
16. XBox music has a really attractive interface but it's almost unusable. It doesn't display track listings, you cant navigate around quickly, etc.
17. Lack of volume control within Apps and for notifications / ringtones. It's almost unworkable if you use your phone as a true multimedia device.
18. No indication of which Apps you have purchased on the Windows store. If you buy lots of Apps (as I do), you forget which ones you have bought / downloaded.
19. No ability to kill apps. I don't care how clever the OS thinks it is, if I want something killed - let me do it! Even if it's just removed from the running list as it's a core App or service.
20. White or Black solid backgrounds are too limiting. I struggle to read white on black, but the black on white just makes the interface look atrocious. That means I have to choose between either usability or my friends ruining me for having a phone that looks ridiculous!
- 02-09-2013, 12:16 PM #540
- 02-09-2013, 12:35 PM #543Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.
Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
02-09-2013, 12:38 PM #544
- 55 Posts
Oh, Jesus Christ. I find it hard to imagine why any of you would have even chosen Windows Phone. The beauty of WP is it's minimalist design. Windows 8 is disappointingly ugly compared to WP. That concept design posted is more atrocious than Android 1.0. I really hope Microsoft sticks with the strict "Metro" design language.
02-09-2013, 12:55 PM #546
- 1,303 Posts
02-09-2013, 01:58 PM #547
- 122 Posts
I agree it would be cool if we could get something other than Dark and Light, though I've gotten used to it I remember when I first got my phone and was playing with it, it was kinda disappointing, I'm not saying lets add a **** ton of effects and live backgrounds, but it would be nice if you want your tiles to be Dark Blue with a Light blue background?
Still love my phone, and I don't lose sleep over this, but it is something to point out.
02-09-2013, 02:34 PM #548
- 128 Posts
I think customization options are only good. Beside the option presented above I'd like to have one where the negative space around the tiles is solid/textured and the tiles are holes in that surface. Use parallax to a BG image behind the text so that you get a simulated 3d effect as you scroll, based on nothing more than one image scrolling faster than the other.
- 02-09-2013, 02:47 PM #550
No, no, no. Microsoft removed the gutter to make the tiles bigger because some people complained about white space. Now if you add a background picture, it would only show between the tiles which would look even worse. And I've had a 7.8 custom rom as well, the custom background colors just make the phone look awful!
- By MrBacon42 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
- By shubhashish in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 47Last Post: 01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
- By avaryj in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 40Last Post: 11-13-2011, 01:16 AM
- By Pronk in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 8Last Post: 10-16-2011, 01:26 AM