Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
Like Tree517Likes

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by interopbyt View Post
    No, no, no. Microsoft removed the gutter to make the tiles bigger because some people complained about white space. Now if you add a background picture, it would only show between the tiles which would look even worse. And I've had a 7.8 custom rom as well, the custom background colors just make the phone look awful!
    Then make the tiles transparent like Aero theme, or make the tiles smaller.
    Developer

Global Posts
    837 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abel920 View Post
    Then make the tiles transparent like Aero theme, or make the tiles smaller.
    The problem is, WP's design is based on Metro UI and not Aero. And if MS makes the tiles smaller there will be a huge cluster**** of people complaining and another 2000 threads saying that "I'm moving back to iPhone" or whatever.

i agree with an option to allow customized background especially if you are going categorize your apps into different groups or even allow your live tiles to be transparent
    as for your purposed concept i will be the first person to say No
    I agree with others on the white space, backgrounds work in W8 because of all the white space present. To add more personality try adding more live tiles together and in different arrangements.

Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    I agree with others on the white space, backgrounds work in W8 because of all the white space present. To add more personality try adding more live tiles together and in different arrangements.
    Like mine =D!!! It SCREAMS personality and me.

wp-screen.jpg
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by WavingReds View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp screen.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	621.8 KB 
ID:	28391
    Now that's a home screen!!!
    In all honesty from a design stand point what Microsoft has done was made it harder for the user to f up the home screen. The OP says his home screen is boring but in all honesty if you study his layout it looks beautiful. I would rearrange the tiles a bit but the way it sits is fine.
    People really cannot understand how ugly the tile with image idea would look. The image with the transparent tiles wasn't bad but it looks like BB10. Allowing colored backgrounds isn't bad but this is another way for the user to f up the look. Many people are unaware of color pallets and I could see a lot of people going down the wrong road with too many options at their disposal. I've seen some really nice android home screens on the internet but if I grab my coworkers GS3 I will be greeted by a hot mess...

WavingReds you've done it again! I really love your home screen, it's awesome. Although I love mine for how accessible everything is :D and btw, what I'm really curious is, how'd u get that RBC APP?! :O I can't find it anywhere
    Thanked by:
    Developer

I would love to see Windows 8 style background come to WP8. By that I mean specifically tailored themes that nicely fit around the edges of the screen.... it would really give the OS a lot more of a colorful look without sacrificing readability of the tiles.

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    did you use wiztiles or a different app?

Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WhippedKream View Post
    WavingReds you've done it again! I really love your home screen, it's awesome. Although I love mine for how accessible everything is :D and btw, what I'm really curious is, how'd u get that RBC APP?! :O I can't find it anywhere
    Thanks =) the Tyrael angel tiles flips to change into Gandalf btw.

Sadly, the RBC app isn't out yet, I just used wiztiles to create the image and link it to the site.

Now, I just wish WP8 small tiles would flip as well.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Residing View Post
    Yeah; I believe Brandon Minneman of Pocketnow.com created this concept/image when WP7 first hit back in 2010. Microsoft hasn't implemented it after all of this time, and probably won't, which is fine with me. But it is a nice concept.
    The one I looked to for amazing WP7 concepts was Jozef Kocur. I personally don't like Pocketnow mockups, they are a bit of a loose cannon. Right ideas, but poorly executed with a general disregard for proportions and balance.

This is what Kocur made back in 2011:

control_bar.png

Compact music controls, connectivity toggles, start screen backgrounds, start screen folders. Two years on, still no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by nokialove View Post
    Oh, Jesus Christ. I find it hard to imagine why any of you would have even chosen Windows Phone. The beauty of WP is it's minimalist design. Windows 8 is disappointingly ugly compared to WP. That concept design posted is more atrocious than Android 1.0. I really hope Microsoft sticks with the strict "Metro" design language.
    Exactly. People don't understand the power of simplicity and cleanliness.

Adding a background would clutter the **** out of WP homes screen. And clutter depreciates usability. So no, there shouldn't be background images on the home screen.

how's your battery life?

anyways, this is what SHOULD be added with the new OS update if they decide to make W8 and WP8 look alike

colors.jpg
    Last edited by ololmarc; 02-09-2013 at 10:17 PM.

They won't consider this idea unless it is posted in the Community section of their website. Post it, and have many people vote for it, and it will catch Microsoft's eye!

Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ololmarc View Post
    how's your battery life?
    Pretty good, 1.5 days
    cedarlog likes this.

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    I would like the ability to randomly change my tile colours ever X minutes. I find myself changing it so often.

I also rotate between dark and light background a lot. Need an app for this!

Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    I would like the ability to randomly change my tile colours ever X minutes. I find myself changing it so often.

I also rotate between dark and light background a lot. Need an app for this!
    Now that's kind of a cool idea.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadstar0410 View Post
    They won't consider this idea unless it is posted in the Community section of their website. Post it, and have many people vote for it, and it will catch Microsoft's eye!
    Where's the link for it?!

And Waving Reds!!! AMAZING! I just wished there was an effortless way of doing that. That must have took you a lot of effort and design!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ololmarc View Post
    how's your battery life?

anyways, this is what SHOULD be added with the new OS update if they decide to make W8 and WP8 look alike

Name:	colors.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	28398
    Ok now that I can get on board with. But they'll also need to bring it to the Xbox as well. Although I am rocking a Nokia Lumia 800 background atm on my Xbox (the amazing everyday).

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    I too find the tiles to be somewhat boring at times so I keep changing them. The problem is so many use the default system color scheme. Maybe a an app that shuffles the tiles would help out or allow us to change the tile pictures and color. Also the gap between tiles should have a customizable color . Not just black and white.

Where's the link for it?!

And Waving Reds!!! AMAZING! I just wished there was an effortless way of doing that. That must have took you a lot of effort and design!
    It's actually called "User Voice". It's a page on Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 website that allows users to request certain features to be implemented into future Windows Phone updates. It's a great way to get your idea out into the public.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...re-suggestions

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Something like this would be AMAZING!
    Attachment 28345
    Nice!, I'd love to see that but applied to Windows Phone 8.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    No thanks.

Ah... No. Way too small, the tiles take up space and you'll be wanting to change the background every freaking day. I like it the way it is.
    Rod Iron likes this.

Volume and ring controls separated would be awesome. Simplicity contact management. I've never had a live account until getting this phone. Hate IOS but missing it
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express