(Official) What WP needs to succeed

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Unacceptable issues with this phone

1. I'm pretty sure that most phones do not incorporate this feature, for example the iPhone you can't lock the screen rotation without first jailbreaking the device.

2. Not supported by Verizon, I also never use this feature

3. Again, don't use this feature. Or you could try sending emails instead, if you're sync settings are set to push it's basically the same as a text.

4. I actually really like the keyboard it is smooth and accurate, I'd argue it's better than the iPhone keyboard in almost every category, but maybe not better than some android keyboards.

5. This is an important feature, hopefully they come up with a better solution

I couldn't be happier with this phone, it has exceeded a lot of my expectations and I personally prefer it over any iPhone or Android options.

6. I personally don't use that many apps, and the important apps that I do use I have found on the app store. People comment on a lack of apps, but I'd rather have fewer good apps than a bunch of really crappy apps.

7. This seems to be a case-by-case problem, I for one don't have this issue.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The lack of group texting has nothing to do with the HTC phone. That is a Verizon issue.

Personally, I love this phone. It took some getting use to when I first moved to WP8 from WebOS. But after about a month, wow. Admittedly, there are some features I would like to have. . . But, over all, very satisfied.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
1. I'm pretty sure that most phones do not incorporate this feature, for example the iPhone you can't lock the screen rotation without first jailbreaking the device.

Actually it is supported without jailbreaking. At least portrait mode is. I'll grab a screen print when I get home to show you.

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Actually it is supported without jailbreaking. At least portrait mode is. I'll grab a screen print when I get home to show you.

I stand corrected, you are right. It's in the task switcher if you swipe left. I forgot about this because I never used the task switcher when I had an iPhone.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

If these issues are unacceptable for you, I really don't understand why you have bought this phone. Most of your issues are widely known, and if you can make a rant post about it, I'm sure you can do your research.

If you would be thinking about buying this phone: Yes, you are right, there are issues. If you find them unacceptable I'm sure you would have found an alternative, there are many available.

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
RE: Unacceptable issues with this phone

If these issues are unacceptable for you, I really don't understand why you have bought this phone. Most of your issues are widely known, and if you can make a rant post about it, I'm sure you can do your research.

If you would be thinking about buying this phone: Yes, you are right, there are issues. If you find them unacceptable I'm sure you would have found an alternative, there are many available.
+1
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Meow Mix

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I did research, these are things that dont come up in a test or a review; they aren't about phone style or specs, they are specific quality of life issues that need fixes. Widely known? By who? Not by the innocent masses about to subject themselves to daily annoyance

Anyway, I like your line of thinking, dont talk about issues! People probably already know about them! Maybe they will get fixed if we all ignore them! ..... Oh wait nvm that sounds horrible

I really don't understand why you replied to this post, when you had nothing constructive to say. I would expect that you could read the post if you could reply to it, its widely known by literate English readers that I asked for tips and solutions, not flame raging defensive fanboys

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Quality of life issues? Seriously? I bet your life is so miserable without these features. It must be so hard having to live with such a "****ty" phone.

There are also things this phone can do that the iPhone/Android can't...

I can't wirelessly charge my iPhone 4 or open Office documents. I can't resize my app icons, or get quick live data about the app on my iPhone. Man, iPhone is unacceptable, and my quality of life is in the ****ter. Life is so hard... :(

If you don't like the phone, get a different one!!

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

Wallpaper backgrounds
RICHER looking themes, not just cartoon tiles, or cardboard looking tiles.
Less space between tiles... This is especially awkward with the white background.
X button to close
A Task Manager.
Firefox.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
1, no notification center.
2, live tiles and lock screen don't update, I consider them more gimmick than useful.
3, No screen lock orientation.
4, Email attachment handling.
5, Severe lack of apps.
6, Camera photos in normal light.
7, Needs folders.
8,Can only select one photo at time.
9, changing ringing profile is a pain.
10, watching and purchasing movies is also a pain.
11, Phone is slippery without a case.

On another note, I think Microsoft and Nokia dropped the ball on the launch and execution of WP8

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the hatred of the WP fanatics toward people who hold Microsoft and Nokia accountable for the shortcomings, but the truth is the truth regardless of your fanaticism. What Microsoft and Nokia presented at pre-launch and what we actually got are two different things.

March 14th is the launch date for the Galaxy S4, while WP is still trying to get the basic apps from WP7 onto WP8. In less than a month WP will be seen as light years behind Android.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Two things keep me in the Mac ecosystem (hence having to buy MBP over a Windows 8 touch laptop). One of these is outside of Microsoft's control and as such won't be listed, but the second is something Microsoft can do.

Ok, how many of you have heard of an app called "Keynote Remote" for the iPod Touch? Allows you to remote control your Keynote presentation on your laptop on your Mac. How many of you remember the BlackBerry Presenter? Allows you to stream your presentations from your BlackBerry to the box which is connected to the projector. What do both of these have in common? I can remote control my presentation from my mobile device, meaning I can move while I explain and still be able to manage everything, there's no jerky sprint back to the laptop for the next slide, it's all done from my device where I stand. This is something I will not go without. Oh, and both devices allowed me to see slide notes. I might dig out the Presenter again though now that my BBerry is being fixed. Plus, it's a great business case. Especially if they allowed the Surface to do it too.

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Here's my list of ongoing frustrations with WP8 & my Nokia 920... and by all means, if I'm being an idiot on any of these and I'm wrong, by all means clue me in! :)

-no flash support

-no HTML 5

-probably because of the 1st two, web video playback sucks. I tried to open a frigging bing.com video the other day and was told my browser wouldn't support playback. On a WP8 device. On Bing.com.

-text / SMS messages break into multiple messages after a measly 160 characters. never had this problem on my iPhone.

-god forbid you add a smiley/emoticon into the message after about 75 characters - instantly breaks the message up

-speaking of emoji/emoticons, they suck. they're tiny, difficult to see, and ugly. iPhone's were perfect.

-Live tiles never update properly

-amazingly crappy battery life on my 920 (i know, this isn't wp8)

-home button too easily hit while just holding phone, closing down apps (maybe more a nokia issue than wp8)

-no "FWD" option in IE

-no way to manually control exposure point in camera

-lack of big name apps (you know what they are)

-"alternative" apps that are there typically nowhere near as good as official versions, or the Android/iOS versions

-horrible game options. Oh whoopee, Great Big War Game. Don't get me wrong, it's a *fantastic* game. Which I played 6+ months ago. On iPhone and iPad

-can't sync or really use Google calendar (i know alot of this is Google, it's still a big issue for me since my wife lives by it and I can't sync with her)

-no gapless audio. argh. this is-pause-so fricking-pause-frustrating.

-no option to just set the email client to "download pictures" as an across the board rule. have to due it manually. For each. And every. Stinking. Email.

-Xbox music is way too difficult to use. No super fast and easy way to creat playlists, clear the current playlist, etc

I consider myself the EXACT type of consumer Microsoft and Nokia should be dying for. Super into gadgets, expendable income, and a loooong time Apple guy who was willing to change teams (after a bad customer service experience with Apple, I decided to try something new.) Look, I *love* my 920 for a lot of reasons... but I'm not sure I can stay with it long term. Too many irritating issues, and yes, the App Gap is undeniable, real, and a death knell for WP8 if it doesn't change and change fast.

I'm giving this until the fall, going to see what apps come, what updates and changes are made, and see what the iPhone 5s/6 and GSIV have to offer.

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Really missing:
-Battery percentage
-12 and/or 16Mhz band on the audio equalizer (what the ****??) Is this a Lumia 820 or WP8 problem?
-Better music player (overall, it has a confusing interface, might be personal, but I don't like it)

wp201302285.png

Other that that I'm really really pleased with WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999