(Official) What WP needs to succeed

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

Would like to see some of my favorite apps

anon(5687802)

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying my hardest!!!

So I got my AT&T 920 off of eBay a few weeks ago. It was brand new (still had the stickers on it). I activated it and set up my personal email, downloaded a few apps and I am off and running. No reset issues at all. I am in complete love with the OS. The UI is beautiful, fun, different and eye-catching. I find myself just staring at the damn thing because of how nice live tiles is. And personally I think Nokia knocked it out of the park with the hardware. I love the phone. That being said, I need more apps. And I am not talking about games or those frivolous apps that just take up space. I am talking about banking, shopping and news apps. Now yes, I can, and do use the browser but lets be honest, using the browser for everything is a bit of a pain. I have emailed several companies asking them to create a WP8 app and have not received a reply. Is there anything else I/we can do? I came from both IOS and Android where there are apps galore and I guess it has spoiled me to a certain degree.

I don't want to give up on this device, but its starting to become a hindrance.

Jackwins

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: I'm trying my hardest!!!

Get the phone that has the features and apps you need. It's black and white really. No one phone is better than the other.

I tried to like my 920 as well, and I love the hardware and for the most part Windows Phone 8. But I switch back to my Droid DNA often. One shouldn't have to try and like something, it should just happen. Nothing wrong with that, that's why having more choices in phones is good.

So my advice is to go back to Android, and wait it out for the apps you want. If/when they become available, then switch back.

anon(5687802)

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Get the phone that has the features and apps you need. It's black and white really. No one phone is better than the other.

I tried to like my 920 as well, and I love the hardware and for the most part Windows Phone 8. But I switch back to my Droid DNA often. One shouldn't have to try and like something, it should just happen. Nothing wrong with that, that's why having more choices in phones is good.

So my advice is to go back to Android, and wait it out for the apps you want. If/when they become available, then switch back.

You are a wise Jedi NickA :cry:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

There's a chicken or the egg dilemma here. Who is to say that the apps that this person, or that any of us want, will be developed if there is not a significant demand for them. IE if a significant amount of people aren?t walking around with WP devices, then developers won?t write apps for the platform.

There is talk that the Windows 8 Store and the WP8 Market may be unified, and if it is the case that apps written for the unified market can work either on Win8 or WP8, then that is great news as it will imply a larger market than even WP8 alone can supply.

We shall see. However Jackwins1 has already taken a couple of steps towards solving the issue, one he has a wp8 device and two has e-mailed developers in order to register his request for the app?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

welcome to the family and wish you all the best.
Banking app is a bit tricky, but the others are replaceable. Broaden your choices and always live happy.

Ashe Too

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Using an HTC WP8X on Verizon:

1(a). VOICE MAIL: Integrate visual voice mail into the phone function so I don't have to close the phone to use visual voice mail. And set up voice mail so that the messages are downloaded as they come in rather than downloading only when I open the visual voice mail app. And improve the audio quality of visual voice mail - mine crackles on play back.

1(b). PHONE: use some color on the phone screens to give cues to functions and draw attention to functional areas. Improve phone interface to enable conference calls, to hold call while answering call waiting, etc. UX, UX, UX...this stuff ain't rocket science or brain surgery.

1(c). CALL HISTORY: since MS is the OS best positioned to serve those of us who work for a living, and since hourly billing is a common function, there's no legit reason why this phone does not have a detailed call history showing all calls, name of caller for all calls to/from people in contacts and phone numbers for calls to/from people not in contacts, date and time of call, duration of call, etc - and this info should be exportable to csv file or, better yet since this is a Microsoft product after all, an Excel file.

NOTE: these issues with the voice mail and phone functions are nearly inexcusable in the iPhone era.

2. AUDIO / VOLUME: Volume controls are whacky. E.g.1, if I turn the phone volume all the way to zero, it is still audible. Zero should be totally mute. It's as if the volume control only controls the top half of the range. E.g.2, the scale of the ringer is 0-30 and the scale of the audio volume is 0-10. E.g.3, the volume should just be an analog slider rather than digital readout. E.g.4, when the volume of the ringer is set to a low enough level that it is not obnoxiously loud, then the volume for other notifications is too quiet; and the volume for tactile feedback / keyboard sounds is inaudible in all but the quietest environment.

NOTE: the audio and volume issues make the phone seem like it was designed by disparate committees of communist workers who couldn't have cared less.

3. KEYBOARD 1: Remove the icons from below the keyboard on text and email screens. Make the keyboard layout identical from app to app except a context sensitive area ABOVE the keyboard where it can be easily seen and not be inadvertently tapped.

4. KEYBOARD 2: Give a 3D graphical effect to all keys on the keyboard and controls in the OS to aid in tricking the mind to more accurate use of keyboard and controls. This is one reason why the iPhone's keyboard is vastly, vastly superior (like so many things Apple does well, the details are the dealmaker...that said I dumped my iPhone because the whole Apple subculture is plain annoying).

4. TILES: Enable tile-by-tile control of color, properties and functionality. Give me the ability to have the tiles display info and not give me a g@d@m slide show that turns the start screen into a peep show of slides, images and info!

5. FACEBOOK: The MS app is awful. Do whatever is necessary to get that twit Zuckerberg to push his minions to develop an FB app for the WP platform.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Typing on my WP is on par with my iPhone 4. In some ways its better because of the predictive text which means half the time I don't need to even type the words.

Last edited by a moderator:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
+1

Typing on my WP is on par with my iPhone 4. In some ways its better because of the predictive text which means half the time I don't need to even type the words.

WP keyboard is amazing, far superior than any other virtual keyboard I've ever used. That's just my opinion though of course.

Axon Dendrite

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Repeat Alerts / Reminders for Missed SMS, Voicemail, Calls

Not me. I am likely changing to iPhone. In my line of work the texts come at night. If I am deeply asleep, I miss these important text messages and end up in trouble. What is a smart phone without a functional app for text messages?

PinkiePi

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone 8 NEEDS backgrounds! WP8 is getting boring!

The ability to change the colour of the background to more than just light or dark would be a big improvement. I wish we had more options for the accents. It's hard to believe than options like dark and light grey and black are not available for that.

clindhartsen

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Edit: I thought I replied to a different thread talking about backgrounds directly, not a thread about the possible avenues for improvement in Windows Phone. Didn't mean to post complaints in this thread, sorry.

I'm wondering, how does Windows Phone "get boring"? We've been background-less since the first time we saw Windows Phone 7 Series back in February of 2010. The choice of light and dark allows for app developers to create apps with a fair amount of knowledge of how their app should look on people's phones. When you consider tile colors, allowing for black or white creates an issue where the accent color should end up being invisible, making the phone unusable for a user, or it would view different in app than out of app, which adds complexity.

The introduction of a background, especially with how little screen space is available in the first place, doesn't seem useful to the concept of "glance and go." If the background becomes complex, it distracts the user and removed part of the whole concept behind the phone. Even so, including a way to create custom colors could be good, though it'd have to include failsafes to make sure a user doesn't make their phone unusable.

Last edited:

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

The beauty of Windows Phone is it's minimalism. People should be talking about what they want to take away from the phones UI (eg. the 'gutter') rather than what to add.

What I'd personally like to see is a feature in the OS that sees if you're using a dynamic wallpaper, like Bing, and then determines the best accent / background colours based on the picture at the time, and also updates as the picture changes. IMO this would make your phone less 'boring' and would add more colour simplicity to the phone experience.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

But minimalism doesn't work for everyone though.

Anyways, here's my two cents to everyone who hate backgrounds :p

Some people want backgrounds like me, some hate backgrounds. Some people love minimalism, some people want a lively home screen.

Why so opposed to the idea of backgrounds? It doesn't hurt to have the options for background. Fine, you don't like backgrounds, then don't put any! It's that simple. I don't get why some people who hate this idea are so abrasive towards this idea. Having backgrounds doesn't mean that they have to have a background, they can just leave their screens blank.

We always complain that WP is not doing well, blah blah blah (even though I think they're actually doing great), what's really killing the fun and the hype is our own selves. We're too close-minded to the full potentials of WP.

"We don't want this and we don't want that. We want only tiles, we don't want to look like Androids or iOS. We hate widgets". Just sit down. Stop being so close minded. Be accepting of new ideas and suggestions. Just because you don't like the idea, doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

I ALWAYS love new ideas and suggestions, good or bad, I just want more features! Right now, with the apps we have, it's really going there!

I just don't like the pretentiousness and the close mindedness we have (yes, I do admit to those traits).

Other than that, WP is starting to really fuel off! I'm so proud of how far we've come!

Just give us backgrounds! :p

Anyways, I LOVE THAT idea of Bing wallpapers auto matching the tiles! That's awesome!

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

I'm not against backgrounds. I personally just think that cluttering up the OS will make the phone less minimal. The idea that Microsoft is trying to push with WP is that the OS fades into the background and pushes the stuff you want into the foreground.

By adding background support though, WP risks becoming a generic looking OS, at a time when adoption needs to happen. Anything extra that helps the tiles stand out at this time is vital for the future of the OS. When WP has the benefit of a solid position in the market (15%?), then Microsoft can look to do feature like this, as it is more of a 'bonus feature' rather one that boost the phones usability / appeal.

Saying that though, I'm against the idea of custom backgrounds, but more like the ones you get with Windows 8, a selection of premade and tested choices. This way the backgrounds could be seamlessly added into apps because developers would still have some UI principals to guide them, therefore providing the solid WP experience we all know and love.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
But minimalism doesn't work for everyone though.

Anyways, here's my two cents to everyone who hate backgrounds :p

Some people want backgrounds like me, some hate backgrounds. Some people love minimalism, some people want a lively home screen.

Why so opposed to the idea of backgrounds? It doesn't hurt to have the options for background. Fine, you don't like backgrounds, then don't put any! It's that simple. I don't get why some people who hate this idea are so abrasive towards this idea. Having backgrounds doesn't mean that they have to have a background, they can just leave their screens blank.

We always complain that WP is not doing well, blah blah blah (even though I think they're actually doing great), what's really killing the fun and the hype is our own selves. We're too close-minded to the full potentials of WP.

"We don't want this and we don't want that. We want only tiles, we don't want to look like Androids or iOS. We hate widgets". Just sit down. Stop being so close minded. Be accepting of new ideas and suggestions. Just because you don't like the idea, doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

I ALWAYS love new ideas and suggestions, good or bad, I just want more features! Right now, with the apps we have, it's really going there!

I just don't like the pretentiousness and the close mindedness we have (yes, I do admit to those traits).

Other than that, WP is starting to really fuel off! I'm so proud of how far we've come!

Anyways, I LOVE THAT idea of Bing wallpapers auto matching the tiles! That's awesome!

You have a background, its called the lock screen. And many tiles use images for their "live" state so it would seem even more ridiculous to have those on top of some custom background.

If you want full customizations where you can manipulate the OS to pure uglinesss, then Android is your desired OS.
The purpose of the start/home screen is to deliver content from apps/hubs. A background image would heavily distract from that functionality. Also, the home screen on WP does not have that much "background" showing, so why the **** would it matter? You'd see like 5p pixels of the image you've added.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

Stop being so close minded. Be accepting of new ideas and suggestions. Just because you don't like the idea, doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Not approving the argument favoring custom backgrounds (even as an alternative option) has nothing to do with close mindedness or arrogance. That suggestion is just so fundamentally bad idea that it can't be agreed upon.

Instead of giving the usual arguments against them I would like to try something different to get across the message. I would like you to give me a link to a background image of your choice and I'll photoshop it to a WP8 Start screen. You can then decide if you like the result.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

You have a background, its called the lock screen. And many tiles use images for their "live" state so it would seem even more ridiculous to have those on top of some custom background.

If you want full customizations where you can manipulate the OS to pure uglinesss, then Android is your desired OS.

The purpose of the start/home screen is to deliver content from apps/hubs. A background image would heavily distract from that functionality. Also, the home screen on WP does not have that much "background" showing, so why the **** would it matter? You'd see like 5p pixels of the image you've added.

Like I said, different people have different preferences. I agree with your point. So I can't hold it against you.

But Windows is just as, if not, even more customisable than Android/Linux, or w/e.. because it's Windows.. it's extremely accessible, and it's easy to do.

Customizing with Android and Linux? Pssh.. What? Do you seriously need a 10-step command line step by step on how to change font, and how to change a resolution? Nope.
My professor once said, Windows are for people who want it easy, and I agree, WP so far for me, has been so easy to use, and it's such a god send.

I mean, different people have smartphones for different reasons. For you, it's obviously functionality, but for me, I want some artistic creativity as well. Why so abrasive to that idea? It's not for people like you, it's for people like me. Don't like backgrounds? Then leave the background blank. Easy. Done.

clindhartsen

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

One of the largest issues I've seen is the point that Sharing is a mess on Windows Phone.

I wrote up something about that here, but in short it's inconsistent across the integrated apps, not even to mention third party apps. Compared to Windows 8, or even Android, each provide the ability of third party apps to talk to one another to share content. Windows Phone 8 doesn't appear to have this outside of links, and links are limited to Facebook, Twitter, and possibly other integrated third party apps.

If Microsoft can evolve sharing in Windows Phone to let third party apps tie into a Windows Phone style-UI, or maybe just make the list that you see in Photos available elsewhere, either would be nice to make it more consistent and maybe make it something both developers and users could like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077