(Official) What WP needs to succeed

devil.insulted

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that Whatsapp does not start by itself in background if my phone has been disconnected from internet for sometime (few hours).
I have to manually start the application for it to start working again in background.
Unable to share some contacts, I believe contacts with Photos Attached cannot be shared.

Moataz abdallah

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Need to enable HTC 8s and Lumia 620 To Store Apps and Games On SD Card cuz its a really big problem there are less than 2Gb free phone memory and there are many apps will coming to wp store and there is 480Mb Phone updates

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
We are the normal people! We are less stupid than most think.

MS should do incremental upgrades to small features and release them with the unlocked, unbranded devices. It should be the policy that locked devices get major updates and unlocked devices continuous updates.

If WP8 is to succeed, you have to get the customer to be willing to 'buy' his device in any market. Then carriers will be more willing to offer good deals and to promote WP8.

I've found there's a whole lot of "stupid" people out there. But hey, ignorance is bliss..

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
-CHEAPER Price for developer to start developing. (this is so crucial)
-better background task ability. Almost all Messaging apps don't work well. They get the push toast notification in real time, however when we open the app the chats are not there. In some apps such as LINE it sometimes takes more than 5 seconds!
-true unified store across platform. There are more big title apps on win8, they should be in wp as well

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I read in interesting article pointing to why WP8 is not succeeding. The basic premise is this: WP8 does not offer people a compelling reason to switch from OS's that do the things most smartphone users do on their phones every day by doing them better than the already established Android and iOS platforms. Some of the main strengths pointed to like Office are actually things most people don't care about according to this snippet:

"Microsoft has designed a smartphone operating system that might be better, maybe even much better, for those things that Microsoft is good at - such as Word, Outlook, Xbox Play. The problem is, those do not seem to be the things that smartphone users want or need. In 2012, UK telecom carrier O2 commissioned a study of smartphone users. It showed that a typical user spends more than two hours a day (128 minutes) with their smartphone. The majority of this time, however, is spent on activities where Microsoft's Windows Phone offers no significant advantages over iPhone or the best Android devices. For example, smartphone users spend most of their time browsing the Internet, checking their Facebook status, tweeting, listening to music and sundry other acts. For which of these - or any of these - does Windows Phone offer a superior experience?"

smartphone%20usage_0.jpg

If you look at that chart, there's an unspoken clue - those top 5 activities point towards a large selection of apps and games - something Android and iOS have a huge advantage with. This also explains why BB is in a similar dilemma. For all that Nokia touts their cameras, and BB touts their "hub" and UI setup, and both advertise their keyboards, security, enterprise capabilities those are actually the lowest on people's top list of activities. Conversely, we all say how boring and stale iOS is and we cannot for the life of us understand why it continues to stay so strong. This is the reason why - it meets the highest number of most often used smartphone activities quite well.

According to this article it's not that WP8 doesn't do a good job of these activities, it's that they don't do it in a way that compels people to switch from more established platforms that are already doing it. Another snippet:

"Each new sale of an Android or iOS device leads to customers purchasing apps, games, music, movies and more, all optimized for that particular ecosystem. The great bulk of such purchases cannot easily be transferred to a new platform - which serves to lock-in customers to their existing platform choice"

This last one I found interesting because of the effect of market saturation on creating duopolies. Like the PC market for example. It's been decades now of PC and MacOS totally dominating desktop environment and in all that time nobody has really been able to make any inroads. It's because there doesn't appear to be enough room in a saturated market for a strong 3rd player. It appears that the mobile OS environment is shaping up to be the same. We used to be in a situation where the smartphone market was BB and iOS, and now rather than Android entering as a strong 3rd player, BB has fallen, changing the situation to another duopoly of Android and iOS. This seriously leads me to question whether the market will ever allow for 3 relatively equal players in the field. We all cry for more selection, but yet when it's offered to us, the consumer base in a schizophrenic-like manner turns around and demands tighter unification instead. We say we want more choice, but yet when that choice is presented to us we say we want things more tied in.

What we as consumers fail to realize is that in order for us to have our cake and eat it too, the competing companies would all have to stop competing enough to offer all of their services cross-platform. It's a catch-22, and they'll never agree to that. Hence we end up with duopolies.

windowsgeek

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Things desperately needed in windows phone 8

1.A screen rotation lock
2.Notification centre with easy access to shortcuts like wifi,Bluetooth,data connection,flight mode,screen rotations,silent/ringer/vibrator modes.
3. self mixable colour palate option.

4.Ability to store apps and app
backups in sd card

5.A full screen landscape keyboard support
6.Apps like
instagram
subway surfer
temple run 2/oz
native piniterest
Official dropbox
google apps like - google maps, google drive, google +, google now

7. improvements in
Facebook beta (it should be made official and the other fb app should be removed) should get few fixes and features such as notification fix and ability to save pictures or share them via WhatsApp etc

WhatsApp needs features for sharing videos (saving them too when received) sharing music(saving it too when received)bug fixes like the notification one! And a few speed upgradations .

8.More native camera options like HDR mode etc

9. in the MULTITASKING window! All the running apps should have the option of stopping them individually rather than continuously tapping the back button.

10.An option of my apps/ downloaded apps in the marketplace to help viewer check updates or see the recent reviews of the apps downloaded without having to search it first in the store and then being able to check it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My opinion of what Windows Phone needs, aside from the obvious apps issue comes via my experience with Android and Symbian. I have no idea how well iOS works and have no desire to learn because I don't plan to ever own an iOS device. That being said these are the things that drive me a little nutty (this is not a rant just an opinion) with Windows Phone, I own a Nokia 920:

1. Editing text is painful. The predictive text is great but sometimes you make mistakes and need to correct them, it shouldn’t be as painful as it is. For those interested, editing text in emails and texts, what you do is tap and hold until the edit text symbol (looks like a capital ‘i’) appears and then drag it to the text you wish to edit. This is not intuitive in the least and for a company that makes the bestselling word processor, it’s horrible.
2. Second, easy access to WIFI, Location, Bluetooth etc settings. There’s absolutely no reason why there isn’t a swipe right on the home screen for this or some other method. I don’t like any of the shortcut ideas on the home screen. My Nokia N8 had a better solution. Android does this well too.
3. Speaking of Location, why doesn’t it turn on automatically when I use the Maps or GPS app if it’s off? Or at least give me the option to turn it on upon opening? That annoys me to no end. My N8 did this too.
4. Ability to shutoff the Search button, especially when playing games. Or ensure that the developer can do that. I don’t think many people want to search for something while playing a game.
5. Someone already mentioned real time multitasking. They keep saying how lightweight the OS is, so why wasn’t this standard?
6. Though people keep saying this isn’t necessary but I would personally like access to the same folders as when the phone is connected a computer. I know the cloud is one solution but I don’t always have access to the cloud. Even Symbian had folder access.
7. Downloading of files from the internet. I would guess due to the closed nature of the OS it has blocked downloading certain file types because it can’t ‘use’ them or store them appropriately. This goes part and parcel of the folder system. There should be no limitation as to what file types I should be allowed to download. Again this limitation doesn’t exist in Symbian or Android.
8. A better calendar app as standard. The one on the OS is horrible. Though there are alternatives I still don’t see why the standard one could at least be decent.
9. Volume profiles. A standard on mobiles since they basically appeared. Why would you not have this?

There is nothing wrong with being a bit different but when you do things completely different sometimes it backfires. There are key features where Windows Phone easily beat the competition but seems to have forgotten the basics in the process. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to have developers do things, like better calendars, but these should be options, not standard.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Not being able to add search results directly to your contacts and other basic features like rotating screen lock are why WP8 is still considered a rudimentary OS/device.

chunky2055

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Things needed in windows phone 8 to make it more user friendly aka a success ;)

1. screen rotation lock
2. Notification centre .
3. Ability to install apps external memory.
4. Ability to share vids via blue tooth and over apps like whats app..etc.
5. improvements in Face book app and whats app.
6. Some kind of files hub, from where we can manage and share our personal files without messing up with system files.
7. Music play bug fixed. some time volume increasing and decreasing doesn't work when u r using both music and vid hub and nokia music.
8. An easy way to make and manage your play list in music and vid hub. its way too complex process at the moment and you can't edit it once you save it. that's just so annoying :(.
9. improvement in blue tooth file sharing ( specially when receiving ).
10. Volume profiles and different volume control for music play back and call Ring.
11. More free apps and games.. lol ;)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity what OS allows share of vids via bluetooth and why would you want that feature? As for whatsapp that's more to do with the app than anything else.
Also when people talk about a notification centre what exactly are they after?
Agree with the install apps to SD memory.
I tought the latest whatsapp was supposed to be pretty good. I don't personally use it.

Agree with the rest of your comments completely. Not that I disagree more curious about some of the things.

Also if you weren't aware there's a new beta Facebook app that's going to replace the current Facebook app Facebook Beta for Windows Phone updated | Windows Phone Central you can't find it by searching the Store you need to use the links supplied at that article to get it.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What would you need a notification center for? really? I personally don't really NEED (I don't rely too much on the notifications, plus I only use a few apps that provides notifications anyways) it but there is a significant use for it.
Tiles are kind of a half assed method, double wide is like a notification center for ONE app only. Plus you'd have to unlock the phone and see which tile is giving you notifications. Also, the smaller tiles gives you just a number, no content that it refers to. so if you missed the notification on the top of the screen, you don't know what the hell that info is, other than you have it from that app.
If swiping to one side of the lock screen gives kids corner, swiping the other way should give you the notification center. Those notification icons on the bottom of the lockscreen again does the same thing as the live tiles, except you DONT have to unlock. but again its the same as the small tiles, just tells you how many you have.

Screen rotation lock would be handy, but then they should make the start screen orient accordingly too, which it doesn't do for landscape mode.

File manager...would be useful. Those phantom apps that the OS doesn't support...how do you get to them to delete? They shouldn't restrict downloads, but you'd need to be able to access them. They shouldn't be unavailable, but should be movable. They should just make it like similar to the skydrive app (call it the file hub or something). Every file would be in its own specific folder (I believe SD card users have a pictures, videos, music, apps, and an other folder?) Each folder you'd have to give permission to each app individually to access them (or have a second option where all apps can access), kind of like a firewall.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
What would you need a notification center for? really? I personally don't really NEED (I don't rely too much on the notifications, plus I only use a few apps that provides notifications anyways) it but there is a significant use for it.
Tiles are kind of a half assed method, double wide is like a notification center for ONE app only. Plus you'd have to unlock the phone and see which tile is giving you notifications. Also, the smaller tiles gives you just a number, no content that it refers to. so if you missed the notification on the top of the screen, you don't know what the hell that info is, other than you have it from that app.
If swiping to one side of the lock screen gives kids corner, swiping the other way should give you the notification center. Those notification icons on the bottom of the lockscreen again does the same thing as the live tiles, except you DONT have to unlock. but again its the same as the small tiles, just tells you how many you have.

Screen rotation lock would be handy, but then they should make the start screen orient accordingly too, which it doesn't do for landscape mode.

File manager...would be useful. Those phantom apps that the OS doesn't support...how do you get to them to delete? They shouldn't restrict downloads, but you'd need to be able to access them. They shouldn't be unavailable, but should be movable. They should just make it like similar to the skydrive app (call it the file hub or something). Every file would be in its own specific folder (I believe SD card users have a pictures, videos, music, apps, and an other folder?) Each folder you'd have to give permission to each app individually to access them (or have a second option where all apps can access), kind of like a firewall.

Because a notification center allows me to see the contents at a glance instead of an ambiguous number "1" on a tile.

Sent from my (fill in the blank) phone using (fill in the blank software)

Chris_King88

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I've just recently moved to WP8 from iPhone 5 and although I love the OS, it definitely is lacking a fair amount of simple features which it SHOULD already have considering they are meant to rival iOS and Android systems.
I've browsed over a few posts by people and most do say what I'm about to say.

This is what I feel WP8 needs to keep current users and steal iOS and Android users:

1) As many have said and it is debatable...NOTIFICATION CENTRE. Yes the Live tiles semi do this job already but it seems its more ease of use, seeing messages with a preview in one area to see how important they are. Considering both iOS and Android users are use to it, you would think WP8 would have done this feature when released? Less features far out way OS design so they need to sort this quick!

2) QUICK STATUS on lock screen. It's a cool feature but missing the most fundamental part of its feature...pressing on the icon to launch the app. It's all becoming about ease of use nowadays and how quick you can do things on your phone. So enabling a tap on icon to launch the app increases speed in replies/viewing. How can that not be a win?

3) QUICK CONNECTIVITY BUTTONS. iOS are missing this feature, granted! But I appears that every single person WANTS this feature to maximise battery life (well thats the point of it for me). When I'm at work or home, I don't need 3G on while connected to WiFi but it's an unnecessary long process getting to the mobile networks setting to turn it off. Yes there are shortcut apps which make this easy but still it could be easier! My thoughts is a simple down swipe from the status bar to reveal a set of micro tiles indicating each connectivity port. Then a simple tap would disable/enable: 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Airplane mode and Location. Again, EASE OF USE!

4) 'X' on MULTI-TASKING. When I first discovered the multi-tasking page, I didn't understand how to close down an unwanted app straight away. How can they have not incorporated the 'tab' feature from Explorer to this concept?!?! Clicking on the app and then pressing back is just ridiculous when a simpler, quicker feature like a small 'X' in the corner to close is clearly available?

5) FLUIDITY BETWEEN APPS. I have noticed a delay in supposed 'running' apps that still load up? EG, WhatsApp. I leave the app as running on multi-tasking, so why then when I click on the live tile from home screen does it load up the WhatsApp wallpaper then bring up the chat page? Surely it should go straight to the page you left the app on when you press the home button?

6) BATTERY PERCENTAGE. iOS have this feature, not sure if it's a built in feature on Andriod as last I knew, it wasn't but this is my biggest let down. We need to know how much longer we have on a charge so why not bring the percentage info from the settings page and onto the status bar/lock screen?

7) LANDSCAPE KEYBOARD SIZE. Why, why, why is the landscape keyboard not stretched across the whole screen!?!?! I have big thumbs so the fact that the keyboard is at least 1 key size smaller than what it could be, this makes no sense why it was ever made this way.

8) FOLDERS. This feature is actually useful and could look really cool on WP8. Following the minimalistic look of the OS, a small tile could split into 4 tiles (which then shuffle like the People tile when there are more than 4 apps in one folder). Medium tile split into 9 tiles etc.

9) PHOTO ALBUMS - I'm not sure if I've just not found this feature or if it actually doesn't exist, but how can or why can't you delete or create an album in Photos?

And finally...

10) FREE VERSIONS OF GAMES - EG, Draw Something and Words with Friends. Why are we, WP8 users, only given the option to buy the game and not have an advert swamped free version like iOS and Android!?!?!

Thanks for reading all. Look forward to your thoughts/comments

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
@ Chris_King88

I get what you mean:

2) but how would it work?

3) but I can live with it, as I have my settings tile at the top of my home screen.

4) I don't like 'X', maybe swipe up instead.

6) but knowing Apple they are probably the only ones, who can place it next to the battery lol.

Debatable:

1)

5)

Last edited:

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
2) QUICK STATUS on lock screen. It's a cool feature but missing the most fundamental part of its feature...pressing on the icon to launch the app. It's all becoming about ease of use nowadays and how quick you can do things on your phone. So enabling a tap on icon to launch the app increases speed in replies/viewing. How can that not be a win?

The issue with this one is the lock screen is there to keep the phone buttons from being activated in your pocket. So you can't really make any of the icons do anything.

-E

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12