(Official) What WP needs to succeed

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: What WP8 Is Still Missing

...I can't believe that no one has yet to say VPN. So I will. WP8 is still missing VPN and needs it.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Another question about playing music on WP8. I haven't gotten a phone yet, but judging from the Xbox Music samples I've played, can you not skip to a certain point in a song? All I could get was holding the forward button down to skip. I mean, being able to skip via touching the song bar is basic stuff.

Sames goes with videos. I sat there putting my fingers on the timeline for like 2-3 minutes thinking I was just hitting it in the wrong place. But indeed there is only static fast forward and reverse. I can't think of the last time I used a video/music player which didn't have the ability to go to any position... it's baffling.

ninnghizzida

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a L900 so I don't know if WP8 has this already, ability to automatically download images from email and ability to switch to dark mode as well.

Ability to tag people when checking in in Facebook.

Being able to see call duration in call history.

Daniel0418

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I wish the search button was a universal search and wormed exactly the same way it does on Windows 8. I also wish we had gestures like windows 8. My biggest gripe with phone features is within the browser. Why is there no back button? I know I can use the one built in on the phone, but if I leave IE10 and come back, when I press the back button instead of going to the previous page it exits IE10. I really hate this,I think it is really frustrating. Give me a forward/back button that always works.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

...I can't believe that no one has yet to say VPN. So I will. WP8 is still missing VPN and needs it.

I have seen this request on a few forums. I use Junos Pulse on my iPhone and it is handy. I also use the normal VPN to get into our ancient Cisco VPN. From what I have read this will never happen on WP8 it has no underlying support for VPN functionality.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Cool. I'll try streaming back and report my results - though I'm fairly certain I already tried streaming a Muse album and it was not gapless.

petteriusa

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any confirmation on Gapless music playback and inline controls

Well, exactly as expected then! I'm tempted to see if I can get a response out of Belfiore on Twitter; he seems to be receiving and replying to a lot of feature requests/bugs being tweeted at him.

I actually did try to get a response on Twitter from him, no luck. But try anyway and see if you get a reply. I'm sure he's getting swamped on there so if he sees a reoccurring theme he might reply to one of them.

Asteriskrntt

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Unless I don't understand your issue, you just tap on the left side of the message (or emails) and select everything you want to get rid of

UK WP8 User

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Would like the following:

User profiles (Nokia 6310 had this in approx 2004), so I can have different alerts when at home, in meetings etc
Different settings when on battery or mains (able to leave on permanently when on mains power so could use as an alarm clock) - could do this on Windows Mobile 6
Copy & Paste in Excel - can't se how to do this (also available in WinMo 6)
Data Sense not carrier enabled - need to know how much of data plan is used (Nokia had counters in WP7 but not available in WP8)

consultant1027

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Repeat Alerts / Reminders for Missed SMS, Voicemail, Calls

Just went from iPhone 4 to new HTC One X+. Power user that needs lots of flexibility. (Was tired of waiting for Jailbreaks).

Talking to guy at AT&T store today about poor Wifi Signal on my HTC and he asked if I considered Nokia 920. I know Windows Phone has less apps, but that will change. I can also live without custom wallpapers, etc.

One feature I can't live without is repeat notifications for missed SMS, Phone Calls, or Voicemails.

It was interesting how long it took Apple to build this in and Android you need an app. The thing is, I don't carry my dang cell phone with me at all hours of the day. If I'm away from the phone say for an hour and someone calls and leaves a voice mail, I want the phone to play a tone and I want to configure, how often it plays and how many times. For example, missed SMS, play tone A every 10 minutes for 6 times or 60 minutes. Missed Voicemail, play tone B every 20 minutes for 10 times or 3 hours.

Is this possible in Windows Phone 8?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
No, but isn't it more efficient (and less annoying for people near your phone) to just check the lock screen after you've been away from the phone for a while?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well you don't get repeat notifications but the notifications for those three specific things (calls SMS and voicemail) are displayed on their respective tile and on the lockscreen until you go into the app to dismiss it so that's kinda what you're asking isn't it? I mean whenever you look at your phone as soon as you click the power button you'll see it on the lockscreen...

consultant1027

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Repeat Alerts / Reminders for Missed SMS, Voicemail, Calls

Honestly I think there's actually a lifestyle difference here. I'm a tech guy but I'm 44. I noticed many people including some my age are constantly looking at their phones to the point they sometimes look at the phone more than the person in the restaurant sitting across from them. Their cell is also their home number. Me, I have IP phone lines on a cordless system in my home. I work from a home office. Office line rings both Ip and cell simultaneously. Even so, I might be outside briefly or frankly sometimes I like to run a brief errand and leave cell on desk or in car. Not checking it every 90 seconds for a new voice mail or to see who is posting what on Facebook. So, for me, repeating alerts are important. Technology SHOULD make life easier. Missed calls/messages because I don't have my phone glued to my head or I'm checking it every minute does not make life easier. It's a simple features that Apple even didn't get for a while. It reflects a design perspective making assumptions about the way others use technology as opposed to just making the technology flexible to fit anyone's lifestyle needs.

Microsoft has been playing catch up in many areas except video game systems and Office applications. They're making progress though. I Like W8 Mobile but still needs more apps and more flexibility IMOO.

Pwnisher

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Repeat Alerts / Reminders for Missed SMS, Voicemail, Calls

Honestly I think there's actually a lifestyle difference here. I'm a tech guy but I'm 44. I noticed many people including some my age are constantly looking at their phones to the point they sometimes look at the phone more than the person in the restaurant sitting across from them. Their cell is also their home number. Me, I have IP phone lines on a cordless system in my home. I work from a home office. Office line rings both Ip and cell simultaneously. Even so, I might be outside briefly or frankly sometimes I like to run a brief errand and leave cell on desk or in car. Not checking it every 90 seconds for a new voice mail or to see who is posting what on Facebook. So, for me, repeating alerts are important. Technology SHOULD make life easier. Missed calls/messages because I don't have my phone glued to my head or I'm checking it every minute does not make life easier. It's a simple features that Apple even didn't get for a while. It reflects a design perspective making assumptions about the way others use technology as opposed to just making the technology flexible to fit anyone's lifestyle needs.

Microsoft has been playing catch up in many areas except video game systems and Office applications. They're making progress though. I Like W8 Mobile but still needs more apps and more flexibility IMOO.

You're that 1% good sir! Most people are attached to their phone (you are clearly not), playing with it, etc. to where the notification light or additional sound reminder isn't needed. I guess you will need to set a mental reminder to yourself if you leave your phone at home to make a quick errand and check it when you come back for now. Try and hang in there though - MS should come up with something, because a lot of people like those reminders.

Personal Note: I actually never liked the blinking light or additional sound reminder - always had those features off. I especially didn't like the blinking lights at night when I sleep.

dudexk

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

Coming from the Blackberry platform, the lack of Autotext (replacing a few characters with pre-defined words) is a big surprise for me. I really hope they add this feature ASAP...

mammaldood

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This thread makes me yearn for my Android.
-The Play Store felt so much better organized and of course has way more options.
-Both Chrome and the Android browser are actually functional: back and forward buttons, don't have to choose between showing only refresh or only tabs or only bookmarks alongside the address bar.
-a ton of mobile sites just don't work with IE. Swallow your pride and switch to web kit, Microsoft! (or Google: stop being dbags and make your apps available on WP)
-No chrome to phone app (not even an IE to phone ability)
-as mentioned: separate volumes for system and music
-keyboard isn't so great. I find the autocorrect lags which is REALLY frustrating, I.e. If I type a word too quickly but make an error I'll often be on the next word already with no option to correct the word. Also, no predictive abilities like SwiftKey has.
-No gesture typing (e.g. Swype). Makes one handed typing actually possible. And now android 4.2 has it built in.
-no real time battery monitoring or way to look at what is using battery
-no notification center (yes I know we're promised a fix)
-no built in quick access to settings
-no way to download pdfs or other files from email

The most vexing among these are the sorry state of IE and the subpar keyboard.

This all upsets me. Before I got my Lumia 920, I was all about touting how WP had finally reached parity with iOS and Android, but I was wrong. Microsoft, please step it up: the Nexus 4 is already on my xmas list...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa