(Official) What WP needs to succeed

SofaTester

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: What WP8 Is Still Missing

Further volume control is a must.

I listen to my phone as I go to sleep, I have numerous "sleep" playlists. Turning my volume down to about 15 or so, makes it to where I don't hear any phone calls or texts in the morning. I can't wake up hours later and turn the volume back up so I hear notifications, that's ridiculous. I'd like my ringtone/notification volumes to stay at a set volume, and the music/playback to what I set it at, not effecting my notifications.

I also hate that there is no on screen volume for videos, watch a youtube video, have to use the side volume keys. Same with fast forwarding, why is there no fast forward in videos? You've got a button that skips forward a set chunk of time, but you can't pinpoint the time? Wtf?

You've gotta hit the FFW button like 7 times to get to the middle of a song or video, then rewind to get to a part you wanted if just before that. I think it skips in 30 second chunks? Ridiculous.

tom braman

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Repeat Alerts / Reminders for Missed SMS, Voicemail, Calls

Here's my scenario, as a 24x7 on-call person: What if i accidentally sleep through that first alert? I want a sonic reminder to get myself outta my bed and respond to the situation. Any ideas?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Here's my scenario, as a 24x7 on-call person: What if i accidentally sleep through that first alert? I want a sonic reminder to get myself outta my bed and respond to the situation. Any ideas?

It isn't possible. Hopefully if someone needs you they will call you and you'll wake up. And if you don't, they will continue to call you

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, nothing yet on WP8. I know this might be getting off topic a bit, but I would argue they need a better alerting system instead of having us poor support staff scrambling for apps to make up for lack of proper notification. An automated system that keeps calling you until you answer is always the best way to go. We ahve people that have land lines, blackberry's, iphones, WPs, dumb phones, Androids..... you name it. If I don't answer, it calls the next person in line, if they don't answer it calls me.. and keeps going until somebody answers and accepts the call. Straying off topic.. I know....

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same mentality about reminders and am very (scarily) similar to the OP..
but after having a Windows phone for a bit over 6 months now I adapted long ago and just take a quick look when I get back to my phone. Never thought I'd say it, but reminders are no longer important to me. Wouldn't use them anymore. And have actually been annoyed by someones reminder going off constantly and thought to myself 'that used to be me'. In the end I think the LED light could make a perfect compromise for such a reminder.

dallasblue

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

not all people are alike , not all situations are alike, everyone is unique. some need this feature, it may be annoying to others at times but this repeat notification could be life and business-continuity saver for oncall guys. Interstingly , the alaram was going on for a long time , till i hit the snooze or dismiss button on the phone , can we set up something similar for the unread sms ?

surfriders

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Wow, I'm amazed that Nokia 920 Windows Phones do NOT have this essential function!! This is a requirement for nearly every single person who goes oncall during the evening shift!

To respond to the person who's idea was 'someone will call you if you don't respond'. For most technical people that person is either 1) Your boss or 2) Your bosses boss. And NEITHER of them are happy calling you to wake you up at 3am because your phone doesn't have this BASIC function!

Comon guys get this fixed ASAP! Else you will have millions of technical folks getting upset.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Wow, I'm amazed that Nokia 920 Windows Phones do NOT have this essential function!! This is a requirement for nearly every single person who goes oncall during the evening shift!

To respond to the person who's idea was 'someone will call you if you don't respond'. For most technical people that person is either 1) Your boss or 2) Your bosses boss. And NEITHER of them are happy calling you to wake you up at 3am because your phone doesn't have this BASIC function!

Comon guys get this fixed ASAP! Else you will have millions of technical folks getting upset.

I know what you're saying, but I still disagree. We live in a BYOD world now where people may have who knows what type of device. The correct was is to have the solution at the "server" end, an automated call system that will keep calling until you answer. With iOS, WP, Blackberry, Android, regular cell phones and old school land lines out there, this is the best solution. We are a large IT shop and that's how we do it, and I'm glad that's how we do it because as the mobile phone guy the last thing I want to do is come up with solutions for umpteen differnet types of devices.

Now, having said that, I totally know that solution is not going to work for everybody and hopefully an app, or something gets created to help it... but a basic feature it is not, IMO.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Honestly I think there's actually a lifestyle difference here. I'm a tech guy but I'm 44. I noticed many people including some my age are constantly looking at their phones to the point they sometimes look at the phone more than the person in the restaurant sitting across from them. Their cell is also their home number. Me, I have IP phone lines on a cordless system in my home. I work from a home office. Office line rings both Ip and cell simultaneously. Even so, I might be outside briefly or frankly sometimes I like to run a brief errand and leave cell on desk or in car. Not checking it every 90 seconds for a new voice mail or to see who is posting what on Facebook. So, for me, repeating alerts are important. Technology SHOULD make life easier. Missed calls/messages because I don't have my phone glued to my head or I'm checking it every minute does not make life easier. It's a simple features that Apple even didn't get for a while. It reflects a design perspective making assumptions about the way others use technology as opposed to just making the technology flexible to fit anyone's lifestyle needs.

Microsoft has been playing catch up in many areas except video game systems and Office applications. They're making progress though. I Like W8 Mobile but still needs more apps and more flexibility IMOO.

I'm 45. Your issue has nothing to do with age. It's simply what you want.

I look at my phone. Not a big deal.

You'll probably get a blinking light at some point via an update and an app that does it.

dallasblue

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

my alaram on nokia lumia 810 goes for a long time to wake me up and has a 'dismiss' and 'snooze' button. Can this same feature be set up for the new text (mms/sms) message ?

This is a make or break situation for this phone. this feature was in wm6 ,windows ce o/s , why cant the same be implemented or run on wp8 ? isnt this one backward compatible ?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

my alaram on nokia lumia 810 goes for a long time to wake me up and has a 'dismiss' and 'snooze' button. Can this same feature be set up for the new text (mms/sms) message ?

No. This is an example of one of the minor features that WP, as an immature OS, is missing. Unfortunately, features like this can be deal breakers for some people. If you can't use a phone without this feature then I suggest you look at another device.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't mind having this feature as an option you can enable/disable. Sometimes I get a text and don't read it right away, then remember to read it hours later. A light or audio tone would be cool to remind me to read that text.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I'm thinking this exists in wp8. I've noticed lately that I'm hearing repeated notifications. I think it's multiple emails but it turns out to be one. I've only just started noticing this on my 920 the past few days and now I see this thread...

dallasblue

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Mobile Guru (Admin, Windows Phone) responded ? Sep 23, 2011
Notifications for missed text messages is now available in Windows Phone 7.5!

<<http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/2110491-repeat-notifications-for-missed-call-voice-mail-?utm_campaign=shorturls&utm_medium=generic&utm_source=windowsphone.uservoice.com>>

Repeat Notifications for Missed Call / Voice Mail / Unread Text

looks like its not a limitation of OS are your sure ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786