(Official) What WP needs to succeed

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
We seam to get a lot of threads about why an Android/iPhone user doesn't like Windows Phone. From Windows Phone users that are messing features from their old OS. These threads have the same theme and the same content so here is the Official thread for these types of posts. Warning if you don't like the content of this thread please skip it. This thread will be monitored unnecessary content will be removed.

If you can't post in a civil manner or if you insist on making post that are in violation of the forum rules (arguing) don't bother to post in this thread. Infractions will be handed out when necessary.

It is my hope that this community can have a civil debate of the facts good and bad in WP8. Maybe if we show our common concern of missing features in Windows Phone 8 we can help give Microsoft a roadmap of the features this community wants.

Why PART 2? Because part one became a mess filled with unwanted content that did not represent the nature of the WPC community. We will do better this time.

Do you have some good things to say about WP8 join us in this thread to talk about those positives:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...bout-wp8-why-wp-will-succeed.html#post1837562

Last edited by a moderator:

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Any confirmation on Gapless music playback and inline controls

My biggest gripes with Windows Phone is the lack of gapless music playback and the fact that (at least on the Lumia 900) inline headphone controls (stop/skip tracks) don't work (or work sporadically) when the screen is off.

Any news on these fronts?

Thanks

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Inline controls are fragmented across manufacturers, there's nothing Windows Phone can do to solve that on the software end.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
No WP8 features other than those in the SDK have been revealed yet. It will all be revealed next monday. On the other hand I don't really notice any gaps in playback on my HD7, only when streaming with Xbox music pass and even thats rare.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Inline controls are fragmented across manufacturers, there's nothing Windows Phone can do to solve that on the software end.

I have them. They don't work when the lumia screen is off.

As for gapless it is very noticeable for those who listen to live music. Almost a dealbreaker for me honestly. Would entertain the thought of an iPhone if it isn't in WP8

happynoodleboy

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I would love gapless playback. There are a few albums I have where one song leads into the next and its kind of annoying when there is a pause and there shouldn't be.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

petteriusa

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm also really hoping for gapless music playback. I'm seriously thinking of switching from iPhone to WP8, but without gapless playback I'm not so sure anymore. I use my phone for a lot of music playback both in and out of my car and the bulk of the music I listen to is live so these "gaps" basically ruin the experience.

It's hard to believe that no one knows the answer to this yet! Well, just a few more days to wait now I suppose.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I have them. They don't work when the lumia screen is off.
I must have misunderstood the problem. That's definitely an issue, though I'm not sure if that's on Microsoft's end. Could be Nokia's.

On the other hand I don't really notice any gaps in playback on my HD7, only when streaming with Xbox music pass and even thats rare.
It's pretty obvious if you listen to albums where the songs flow into each other.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
There is now a way to scrub through the track on Windows 8 Xbox Music, similar to Zune on Win7. Don't see why WP8 wouldn't have it either. As for gapless playback though, still nada I'm afraid :(

petteriusa

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If this is indeed true, it's really disappointing. There really isn't an excuse for this, is just sloppy work. It renders the music player useless for listening to many different types of music.

Can anyone with an actual WP8 phone comment? While I'm sure the Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are close I'm sure their not exact.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
What WP8 Is Still Missing

Disclaimer: Emotions tend to get heated when comparing OS's for whatever reason. I am simply looking to compare features, or lack thereof, to give myself, and perhaps other users insight on whether or not to go with WP8 and what they may (but hopefully may NOT) be missing.

Let's face it. The informed shopper compares the OS first, then perhaps the hardware, and then makes a purchase. It is not uncommon to hear any one OS to be compared to another. There were a few features that I don't *think* WP8 has incorporated yet that I wanted to bring to light. Please feel free to confirm or correct me, and add to this too. Feel free, also, to add features that WP8 has that others might not.

Lacking:
SMS sound customization per contact (I don't believe the same is true with ringtones?)

Notification center: While live tiles are wonderful, there doesn't seem to be a way of notifying the user of a specific alert unless there is a live tile for it. Furthermore, even WITH said alert, the user still has to tap the live tile, effectively opening the app, to see what the alert was for. This is less than optimal in multiple cases, such as emails, texts, etc. Not only do I not know who is texting me (in the case that I am getting multiple texts "simultaneously"), I can't see the texts easily, to decide whether or not they are worth my time now, or later.

Call control - I can't block numbers, or simply make the device not pull alerts during certain hours. Android has had this for quite some time (through third party control) and iOS just got it with their "do not disturb" option.

Support - I didn't know what else to call it... but saying it lacks support is a gross overstatement. What I mean here is that WP7 was essentially "dropped". I am sure people here will argue that 7.8 is coming, etc., but 7.8 is not 8.0. While that may be an easy pill to swallow for those who got WP7 devices around launch, and have enjoyed many updates since, it's less easy for those who have picked up a WP7 device within the last year or less. The Lumia 900 is a good example of this. A flagship device with a virtual EOL in about half a year. Yes, I know, 7.8! But app development won't be nearly the same for those devices as it is for 8.x devices, and who knows if they will see much of anything past 7.8. o the question is, do we worry about Microsoft "reinventing" the OS every two years? I feel like that hurts the brand

Excelling:
Live Tiles - I know I just shared some gripes about notifications, but the info it does give you is very good.

Social Networking - Ties in with live tiles (a bit). But this is probably where WP excels the most over the rest. Why? Because it wasn't an afterthought, like it was with those other OS.

Desktop OS integration - This remains to be seen, but after using windows 8 for a little while, I am confident that WP8 will tie in extremely nicely. They were made for each other. No other OS can come anywhere close.

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Multiple thread/message deletion in SMS. This drives me nuts. Why can't i turn on a toggle and delete multiple messages in my SMS... Even dumb phones have this feature. I love my windows phone but the lack of that ONE feature is starting to drive me nuts to the point where I'm gonna switch.

...ok. I'm bluffing... but I do hate it.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Multiple thread/message deletion in SMS. This drives me nuts. Why can't i turn on a toggle and delete multiple messages in my SMS... Even dumb phones have this feature. I love my windows phone but the lack of that ONE feature is starting to drive me nuts to the point where I'm gonna switch.

...ok. I'm bluffing... but I do hate it.

Come on, just get over it and delete the whole damn thread. This should only be a problem if you have something to hide from someone. Removing single messages so the gf doesn't see? Deleting the whole thread might look suspicious if she uses your phone once in a while eh?

firstness

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Voice assistant & speech-to-text in any text box, comparable to Google Now or Siri. I can't believe how lazy MS has been with their voice implementation.

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Proper CDMA coding and encryption is what is seriously missing. 256bit encryption is seven years obsolete as Qualcomm says. Verizon got three devices undercoded and underencrypted, and that is why no other CDMA carrier in the US will not touch WP8 until Microsoft adds proper coding and encryption that CDMA carriers require.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb