(Official) What WP needs to succeed

Hardera

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: What WP8 Is Still Missing

1. Better sync options including Wi-Fi syncing. Really now, my Nokia Lumia 920 requires a usb cable to sync to my Windows 8 computers - it's so 2008. Very lame.

2. Orientation lock. I tilt the phone a little too much when I'm reading a doc and it goes all flippy on me.

3. Kids Corner should have the option not to require a passcode. It currently defeats the purpose with having to put in the master passcode. Yes, I take full responsibility for anything that could happen. No problem though, because I only put stuff on Kid's Corner that I want them to have access to. If you're silly enough to put your Facebook and Twitter connections up there, then having to enter a passcode isn't going to save you from your own bad judgement.

4. Connectivity to Windows Media Center and even other media centers over Wi-Fi. One would assume connection to Windows Media Center would be there right off the start.

5. Be able to populate contact info from an email signature and copied text. PLEASE!

6. More commands for voice. Better voice command integration.

7. Support for WAV files. This one makes me flip out whenever I get an email from the Cisco voicemail system. I'm dumbfounded whenever I see this when I try to listen to my voicemail from the Cisco Unity system: "Sorry, we can't play this file on your phone". It's a WAV file for crying out loud!

Brett Jackson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Integrated Turn by Turn Voice Navigation for anyone that didn't purchase a Nokia device. At least something along the lines of what they already had in WP7.

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

WP 8.5 should be the Jellybean of the Windows Phone

- Separate volumer controls for apps/ringtones
- Merge calls in call log under same contact
- Orientation lock
- Password support for the IE10
- Forward button for the IE10
- Text reflow for the IE10 so it automatically adjusts and reformats text for easy readability
- Ability to have at least two browser control buttons
- Settings are not alphabetized, making them sort of confusing
- Finger seek in the music player
- Automatic sleepd mode (especially since you added Skype, which is on 24/7), so we won't be bothered by notifications at night
- Notification history / center or whatever you call it
- Black background when reading email, not just email list

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

The separate volume controls for ring tones and music is an old one and I'm really surprised MS did not put it in WP8; they have taken away the ability to sync Windows Media Center files (wtv) with WP8 and also did not include it in Windows RT, this did work in WP7 though. It leads me to suspect they will be ditching the format in the near future especially with the Xbox TV rumours and the lacklustre non event that is Media Center in Windows 8.
When I get a text message I don't want it to show on my screen.

MNPSaint

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Need to clarify. Can you make music playlists in wp8 now?
I'm almost positive that I saw a screenshot showing someone making a playlist directly on their Win8 phone.

Don't see anyone responding to this. I just went looking last night and found Create a playlist | Windows Phone How-to (United States).

What it doesn't tell you is that you can't have any playlist already loaded or it'll just append to the now playing list. So from a fresh start you can add each song to the now playing list and once that's done, save it to as a new playlist. It's an extremely inefficient way of creating anything.

Oh and I finally realized the purpose of this app Stop the Music! | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) It's to unload the active now playing list in case you want to start from scratch without having to reboot your phone.

Enjoy... or not, lol

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

For me after it would be...

1.) Orientation Lock
2.) Separate controls for Games, Music etc
3.) Picture Password and/or the ability to password protect apps/programs
4.) Blacklists for SMS & Phone Calls
5.) Better back button in IE10. (I hate that sometimes if I'm browsing and I go to my messaging app or another location and then return back to my browsing if I want to go to the previous page on the internet it instead returns me back to what I was doing prior like my messaging app or whatever I was doing.)
6.) Speech to Text via Bluetooth needs to be refined. It's not the best and not as quick as my Titan II.
7.) Apps, sucks that some apps I had on my WP7 phone are not available on my WP8 phone.
8.) I don't know if it was an HTC exclusive or what but I miss the attentive phone settings from my Titan II, but some of those need to be incorporated into WP8.
9.) Lastly, the ability to turn off SMS notifications showing up at the top of my screen & the ability to switch between 3G & 4G to conserve battery.

theroo2001

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 Calendar is really very bad

The calendar in my Lumia 920 is truly awful, almost as awful as the design of the hotmail calendar when you compare it to outlook.com

1) In month view, the layout is just stupid because the text is so small! I realise it would be impossible to view in a month view what text is there, but I would have appreciated something similar to iOS whereby there's just a mark where there's an entry in each day. The way it is now, it firstly doesnt fill up the whole screen and secondly just looks very shabby with no direction as to how to scroll etc.

2) The day by day view is so cluttered and confusing.

3) The worst thing by far is that you cannot search for items in your calendar! I cannot believe this is the case... and if I am wrong can someone please enlighten my ignorant soul? It would be great if i was wrong, but as far as I can tell, I cannot search for items in the calendar. Sigh.

Windows, please fix this.:unhappysweat:

dm984

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 8 Calendar is really very bad

I agree. Plus you can't set recurrences with custom date ranges. In order to get it done I have to set up the mtg/entry on the outlook.com calendar.

KingLudvik

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

There is no search function in calendar. How MS could overlook something that important is beyond me.
Also there is no week view. It seems to me that MS don't understand how important calendar is for business. They market WP8 as awesome for business and yet it failes on something as basic as a functional calendar.
Let's hope they will come up with something better soon.

theroo2001

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

glad that i am not being stupid.

yup a functional calendar goes back to the basic two colour phones, this is pathetic. i am actually really upset about it because I specifically bought a Windows Phone BECAUSE i wasnt bothered about the apps as I just use a phone to make calls, check my calendar and sms/whatsapp. and lo and behold, the one thing out of the three things a basic phone should come with sucks balls.

does Microsoft actually read this forum?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

no they dont actually. If you want to complain to them go to their Windows Phone answers forum.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
RE: Windows 8 Calendar is really very bad

There is no search function in calendar. How MS could overlook something that important is beyond me.
Also there is no week view. It seems to me that MS don't understand how important calendar is for business. They market WP8 as awesome for business and yet it failes on something as basic as a functional calendar.
Let's hope they will come up with something better soon.
what I had to do was sync my google education account and put my calendar in there with custom reoccurrences.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

You know there are other calendar apps out there. I doubt anyone is twisting your arm to use the stock calendar app.

urs.meili

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

You know there are other calendar apps out there. I doubt anyone is twisting your arm to use the stock calendar app.

Yes, but they all cannot handle Exchange calendars, can they? They can only view exchange calenders, but not edit or add new items :-(

I really cannot understand why MS doesn't even provide a week view. A clear step back from the iOS device I used before.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Yes, but they all cannot handle Exchange calendars, can they? They can only view exchange calenders, but not edit or add new items :-(

I really cannot understand why MS doesn't even provide a week view. A clear step back from the iOS device I used before.

I really do not know. You may want to look into that...

If not, sounds like a good opportunity for a 3rd party developer.

Bryan_J

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I completely agree on the searching. On the actual calendar itself, I dunno, I kind of like the look and layout.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99