Embedded youtube videos on IE WP8

Krishna Valavala

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920, with windows phone 8 of course. When I try to play a youtube video embedded in a website, I see a message saying "The adobe flash player or an HTML5 supporting browser is required for video playback". Try opening the following link on IE installed on WP8 and see what I mean. It is just an example and I this happens on a lot of websites.
The Only Convincing Anti-Piracy PSA in History | Cracked.com
I have Metro Tube installed. But that should not interfere with the functioning of IE.
I tried some things that have been suggested in other forums. I switched from desktop to mobile mode and vice versa and refreshed pages. I do have the free youtube app from microsoft installed on my phone. None of these helped.
Any more ideas ??

FutureBSD

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I've a similar issue. Sorry for stealing this thread, but the topic title fits so well so I though I use it. :)
When I click on a youtube video on a website it's just redirecting me to youtube instead of opening up metrotube.
It's not playing on Youtube at all. Is there a way to automatically open up MetroTube as soon as I click an embedded youtube video on a page?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've a similar issue. Sorry for stealing this thread, but the topic title fits so well so I though I use it. :)
When I click on a youtube video on a website it's just redirecting me to youtube instead of opening up metrotube.
It's not playing on Youtube at all. Is there a way to automatically open up MetroTube as soon as I click an embedded youtube video on a page?

It doesnt look like it. Part of what I liked about Android was I believe we could set apps to use as default for things like this. Maybe my memory is wrong on that but I though we could.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
does it happen on all embedded flash videos? I wonder if wp8 uses a similar issues with the surface rt in that it has a whitelist of sites that are allowed to use the flash player and perhaps the site you are viewing is not on the whitelist... however on the surface rt there is a way around that.

FutureBSD

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It doesnt look like it. Part of what I liked on Android was I believe we could set apps to use as default for things like this. Maybe my memory is wrong on that but I though we could.

That's exactly what I liked with Android.
I'm using WP for 2-3 days now and I try to not compare it with another system and try to use the system the way it's designed.
Nevertheless I see a lack of features on this system over and over again.
Not sure why no one of MS is checking other systems out and "copy" features that make sense.

I'll use the OS for another couple of days and see what I like about it and if there are things I cannot accept and decide if I go back to my Galaxy Note 2 or if I stick with the Lumia 920. One big complaint about WP is also, that the coding quality of a lot of apps seem to be crap and therefore causing trouble with battery life etc. I barely noticed that on Android + iOS. That's something MS really has to focus on, during their QA (approving apps), otherwise that will be a big deal for a lot of users and they are not going to switch to WP and recommend it to someone else.
WP has potential but it still has a long way to go.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Back to the original problem, yep it is a bit frustrating. For me, it's mainly on discussion forums that allow embedded YouTube bids.

I first ran into this type of issue on an older iPhone, and Safari. The phone died before I delved into finding a solution.

So I'm not sure if it's a Google issue, the Vbulletin forum software, or WP8 and IE.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it has to do with the check YouTube is doing to see if the browser supports WebM or not. IE and Safari do not support WebM out of the box, they support H.264. WebM is a new codec being pushed by Google but so far very few videos are encoded using it, but some browsers like Chrome and Firefox only support WebM for HTML5 video because it costs money to use H.264.

So likely chalk this up to another MS/Apple vs. Google thing thing but my guess is this is more a YouTube thing.

Krishna Valavala

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
@ illegal operation, I tried deleting history and I also rebooted the phone, but it does not help.
@FutureBSB, I would like to see IE launching metro tube, but as of now I'd be glad if I can just watch the video in the first place.
@narv, I am aware of the way around for surface rt. But, there seems to be no way around for WP 8 platform. I can open some youtube videos, but it most cases I cannot. For example, I could open this video from the webpage opened in IE: Death Metal concern recording shows quality of Nokia Lumia 920 HAAC audio | WMPoweruser

It was suggested in a thread for WP 7 to set the region settings to English (US) to make it work. My phone is on those settings, but still it does not work. I have an android tablet on which I can watch these videos without any problem. I really hope MS fixes this problem because I really like the WP8 platform over the android platform.

@ philxor, if that is the case, I think the easiest work around for this problem would be to have a different browser which can support the WebM or whatever format the videos are in. I really do not see a good alternative for IE on WP8 yet.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Most sites that have embedded, i have no issues, but a couple and a forum i go to have this issue. I've tweeted windowsphone support on twitter and they could not test because my forum required a login.

So if you can, tweet the windowsphonesupport.

There is no work around this, if you see that prompt to download, it wont work, there is no fix.

The funny thing is, if you use a lumia 900 on the same site that has this prompt, it would work, but not on lumia 920s which is pretty stupid.

Lumiasteve

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I cant play embedded videos on my Lumia 920 and cant find any discussion that helps me solve this. They are videos I embedded myself using JWPlayer. Could this be the problem?

lily wong1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem - went to settings -> advanced settings -> deselect SmartScreen filter. the cracked.com embedded video works on my lumia 925.

Pi Sin

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
basically its the website design issue using a different embeded code, alot of website with embeded video are playing fine. tell the website or forum owner to wake up and start to revamp their codes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion