Great Michael Fisher piece on Instagram and Windows Phone

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Great Michael Fisher piece on Instagram and Windows

This month it is instagram. WP will get it and soon thereafter it will fall out of favor by the next great thing. If we don't get it right away, folks will bellow, "See? This is why Windows Phone will fail!!!!"

I can hardly wait.:grincry:
Well, this IS why WP will fail, if it does - if it keeps being the redheaded step child of mobile phone development, and will always be the last to get anything new and exciting.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Pandora was the first "Doesn't have it, I won't get it" app. Now it is Instagram.

Plus FaceBook.

Plus Banking Apps.

Plus Google intergration.

Plus Marvel and DC comics (do not laugh- one of my sons friends crossed WP off the list because of that).

Plus Barnes & Nobles (Didn't Microsoft enter into a partnership about schoolbooks on Tablets with them?).

I am sick of these conversations. I am sick of these threads. Not because they aren't true, because they are. MS has done a very good job getting the apps respectable, I want to believe this will become a non-issue soon. Even if we get the apps last, I just want to know we will get them. I have always believed the Modern UI kinda makes WP a "Hate it or love it" thing anyways, so just because of the tiles we may always be the OS that speaks to only a select group. Just get the apps, remove the objections. The OS and its performance will speak for itself.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't u think WP should have its own strength to pull crowds? Skydrive, XBOX, Facebook+Twitter integration, Nokia's camera on the 920(forgetting what it's called). I know it's an uphill task, but hey...worth a shot.

Just saying.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Pandora was the first "Doesn't have it, I won't get it" app. Now it is Instagram.

Plus FaceBook.

Plus Banking Apps.

Plus Google intergration.

Plus Marvel and DC comics (do not laugh- one of my sons friends crossed WP off the list because of that).

Plus Barnes & Nobles (Didn't Microsoft enter into a partnership about schoolbooks on Tablets with them?).

I am sick of these conversations. I am sick of these threads. Not because they aren't true, because they are. MS has done a very good job getting the apps respectable, I want to believe this will become a non-issue soon. Even if we get the apps last, I just want to know we will get them. I have always believed the Modern UI kinda makes WP a "Hate it or love it" thing anyways, so just because of the tiles we may always be the OS that speaks to only a select group. Just get the apps, remove the objections. The OS and its performance will speak for itself.
I agree, MS needs to form a roving app hit-squad of sorts... Create a team, arm them with cash and tell them to go around and search for popular as well as up and coming iOS and Android apps, and if they find one, get that app delivered to WP immediately. Sure, set some benchmarks (e.g. a key app should have 10 000 daily users on a competitor OS), but if we have apps/games meeting those standards then bring them to WP and Windows 8. Even if MS has to develop and maintain the app itself (e.g. Facebook), just make sure the functionality speaks to the OS (e.g. integration) and get the official branding. Will it cost money? Of course, but it'd be a fraction of MS's overall expenditure and the potential gains included increased WP sales, increased Bing usage, increased Windows Store usage, etc.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't u think WP should have its own strength to pull crowds? Skydrive, XBOX, Facebook+Twitter integration, Nokia's camera on the 920(forgetting what it's called). I know it's an uphill task, but hey...worth a shot.

Just saying.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Sure, but if WP8 has popular apps that a lot of people use, it can help draw people that might otherwise choose iOS or Android.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
@XENOPHOS, it's called PureView 2.

What I don't understand about Instagram is this:
1. It's owned by Facebook. Microsoft hold a stake in Facebook. (That's as far as I know.)
2. WP8 has some of the best camera phones available. I'm talking about the 8X and the 920 (second only to the 808 PureView).
However:
1. Lenses compete with Instagram. Where? In the filter part of the app.
2. WP8 handles sharing photos excellently, to a point that you wouldn't need an app.

Microsoft is trying to attract apps to Windows Phone when the functionality is already acheived by the OS or the Microsoft counterparts. Instagram is a perfect example of that.

Last edited:

ianwasheretoo

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Great Michael Fisher piece on Instagram and Windows

so true! Overrated apps are the ones that make an OS popular... we need Instagram so that 10 million people will give Windows Phone a chance too :)

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is the deal...if you are trying to convert someone to a new device, you need to be sure that the new device has the most popular apps. Some apps are more important than others, and it seems instagram is one of the important ones. I personally don't use twitter, facebook instagram or any of those other ones, but my sister in law does. My brother got her the 920 for Chrstmas and asked me about instagram. I let him know that it is currently not on WP. He said that he will probably have to return the 920 since she uses instagram and facebook all of the time on her iphone. I am sure they will just get the iphone 5 now.

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Here is the deal...if you are trying to convert someone to a new device, you need to be sure that the new device has the most popular apps. Some apps are more important than others, and it seems instagram is one of the important ones. I personally don't use twitter, facebook instagram or any of those other ones, but my sister in law does. My brother got her the 920 for Chrstmas and asked me about instagram. I let him know that it is currently not on WP. He said that he will probably have to return the 920 since she uses instagram and facebook all of the time on her iphone. I am sure they will just get the iphone 5 now.

Man I feel sorry for them .. Switching to the iPhone 5 is embarrassing.. Haha

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Instagram or no Instagram, Microsoft and its OEM partners need to step it up in convincing people why they should try Windows Phone. Look what Samsung is doing with their Galaxy S3 and NFC. Granted, I wouldn't base my phone purchase on whether or not it has NFC, but Samsung has, what, 4 or 5 commercials about transferring files by touching phones? You gotta get the general public to go "Wow, that's cool!" even if it's not that big of a deal to us geeks. When will Microsoft do that in a Windows Phone commercial?

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
They always have they don't show things like NFC but they show things like low light photography and quicker access to the people important to you. Check out the Meet your match commercials.

Actually MS and Nokia are putting in work I scene Windows Phone stands at my local mall and more ads overall. The only problem MS is having is working the trenches. The battle is won at the sales end of things you can have the best advertising, the best features, the best marketing but if the battle is lost at the trenches it's a hard uphill climb.

So retail should be MS #1 priority in 2013 its not that hard to fix but in terms of advertising MS is doing a great job displaying WP.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Instagram or no Instagram, Microsoft and its OEM partners need to step it up in convincing people why they should try Windows Phone. Look what Samsung is doing with their Galaxy S3 and NFC. Granted, I wouldn't base my phone purchase on whether or not it has NFC, but Samsung has, what, 4 or 5 commercials about transferring files by touching phones? You gotta get the general public to go "Wow, that's cool!" even if it's not that big of a deal to us geeks. When will Microsoft do that in a Windows Phone commercial?

The funny thing is that it's a horrible expierence to actually pull that off. From what I can figure you need to turn on NFC, WiFi and Bluetooth to make that work. Somebody should make a commercial on how it long it really takes to send info to a random person... It would be a 10 minute commercial as they fumble through the process. :)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
A very well-written and, I think, accurate article. I likely won't use instagram even after it finally lands on the platform, for the same reason I don't use Pinterest: I'm just not into it. But the user base is present and fanatical, and the point he makes about the potential user experience of instagram being "baked in" like WPs approach to other social networking tools is right on the nose. WPs core philosophy has the potential to make instagram on WP THE DEFINITIVE instagram experience. Great read. Much thanks to the OP for sharing it.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The funny thing is that it's a horrible expierence to actually pull that off. From what I can figure you need to turn on NFC, WiFi and Bluetooth to make that work. Somebody should make a commercial on how it long it really takes to send info to a random person... It would be a 10 minute commercial as they fumble through the process. :)

That, and the fact that it takes a lot more time than just a tap to share a file as large as a video.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not a lot anyone can do when the devs wont make the app, is there? Yet other developers with popular apps - Paypal, Chase, Bank of America dont seem to have a problem making apps for WP. So whats the hold up for the mighty instagram? Its not as if theres a line of telepathic WP fanboys stopping them releasing an app with their mental powers. This question would be better answered by the developer of the app itself, not by opinionated articles blaming the OS as if it is somehow resisting the app being made available for its users.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
To me Instgram is an iOS social network first and foremost. Bringing the app to Windows Phone would do nothing for the platform.

So because we chose WP8, we should sever all contact from iphone users?

Skydrive is just another cloud service. Why would anyone choose it first, then get a Windows Phone.

Xbox is just a bumper sticker on some games. Nothing about that branding makes a Halo 4 player care about windows phone.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Not a lot anyone can do when the devs wont make the app, is there? Yet other developers with popular apps - Paypal, Chase, Bank of America dont seem to have a problem making apps for WP. So whats the hold up for the mighty instagram? Its not as if theres a line of telepathic WP fanboys stopping them releasing an app with their mental powers. This question would be better answered by the developer of the app itself, not by opinionated articles blaming the OS as if it is somehow resisting the app being made available for its users.
Devs are definitely inclined to iOS/Android, and that's fine, but there's little reason for them to shut down WP if Microsoft offers support through finances and technical assistance. The problem (at this time) lies squarely in the hands of Microsoft, they're not being aggressive enough with WP: Right now, Microsoft needs to ensure that every single major bank that offers apps to iOS/Android users has a WP app, this is basic/fundamental stuff. Microsoft needs to ensure that every public transit firm that has an app for iOS/Android has an app for WP; same for universities, malls, stores, restaurants, etc. Money needs to be spent on this platform in order to drive adoption.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
We're all preaching to the choir here. It's Instagram that's keeping the boat from coming to the dock. If you want Instagram on WP8, yell at them, not MS. Microsoft would welcome it with open arms if they developed the app. And at some point, I'm sure they will.

And I can't help thinking that if a person doesn't buy a phone because it's missing a particular app, then WOW. Yes, it would be nice if WP8 had every app, but that's not the sandbox we're playing in. If the folks complaining on here instead complained to Instagram, it might light a fire under them to know how much they're wanted.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

look at what bump has been doing for a few years.

or Samsung with beam.

using a different antennae isnt revolutionary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb