Several Questions Related to Contact / People / Groups + a few more

suharsh

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
My device is Nokia Lumia 810 with T-Mobile.

General Questions:
- Without placing an App as a tile on Start page, is it possible to know if it has the 'live' feature?
- any app that would display stock Indices / own portolio quotes on the lock screen?
- is there a way to remove the preview lines in email apps - Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail in WP8?

Questions Related to Contact / People / Groups

I asked these questions on the empty streets of the official WP8 forums.

- Is it possible to categorize (not groups) Contacts as Business, Family, Friends etc or even create custom categories. Same way as Outlook allows - the old Windows Mobile (early 2000) , if I recollect did allow that.

- When I create groups - let's say Pool and then when I put the tile on the start screen in small size the group name is not displayed! I even tried renaming the group to 'Pl' and still in the small size it won't tell me the group name! Has anyone tried this?

- Is it possible to set a contact to go directly to the voicemail?

- I imported my contacts from my google account - Android allows to import contacts with only phone numbers, however WP8 imported all and doesn;t let me select or filter out contacts that don't have phone numbers. So I end up with lot of contacts to browse through?

- On the screen of 'people' - there are two problems:
1. the word people is just too big! It unnecssarily occupies the real estate on the screen!
2. even with the smallest 'text' setting, I can see only 5 contacts and two alphabets a & b for the categories - that is only 7 rows!
Is there a way to reduce the font / text or increase data displayed with above two points?

- After making a call, in the history each call is listed separately. So if I had called a # twice and same person called me thrice, I see 5 entries. I would rather have that grouped. Again I can see only 7 entries in the smallest dispaly option that I have set.

Is it possible to group calls in the history?

Thanks in advance.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My device is Nokia Lumia 810 with T-Mobile.

General Questions:
- Without placing an App as a tile on Start page, is it possible to know if it has the 'live' feature?

Yes in marketplace it will say "with live tiles"

- any app that would display stock Indices / own portolio quotes on the lock screen?

Search marketplace there are at least 2-3 apps that do this. I don't use any.

- is there a way to remove the preview lines in email apps - Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail in WP8?

No

Questions Related to Contact / People / Groups

I asked these questions on the empty streets of the official WP8 forums.

- Is it possible to categorize (not groups) Contacts as Business, Family, Friends etc or even create custom categories. Same way as Outlook allows - the old Windows Mobile (early 2000) , if I recollect did allow that.
No - groups are new categories.

- When I create groups - let's say Pool and then when I put the tile on the start screen in small size the group name is not displayed! I even tried renaming the group to 'Pl' and still in the small size it won't tell me the group name! Has anyone tried this?

Small tile is for numerical counts only. The more info you demand, the larger tile you need. NO small tile has app labels. Too cluttery.

- Is it possible to set a contact to go directly to the voicemail?
no

- I imported my contacts from my google account - Android allows to import contacts with only phone numbers, however WP8 imported all and doesn;t let me select or filter out contacts that don't have phone numbers. So I end up with lot of contacts to browse through?
You can remove/manage them using outlook.com

- On the screen of 'people' - there are two problems:
1. the word people is just too big! It unnecssarily occupies the real estate on the screen!
That's the design language, you'll learn to live with it.

2. even with the smallest 'text' setting, I can see only 5 contacts and two alphabets a & b for the categories - that is only 7 rows!
Is there a way to reduce the font / text or increase data displayed with above two points?
No, metro is clean interface. Small clunky isn't an option. Big, bold is 2013.

- After making a call, in the history each call is listed separately. So if I had called a # twice and same person called me thrice, I see 5 entries. I would rather have that grouped. Again I can see only 7 entries in the smallest dispaly option that I have set.
Is it possible to group calls in the history?
No

Thanks in advance.

suharsh

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I do understand some of these are nice to have but not being able to show group name on the tile (even if restricted to like 3 characters) is disappointing to say the least.

suharsh

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

Small tile is for numerical counts only. The more info you demand, the larger tile you need. NO small tile has app labels. Too cluttery

Actually I have a follow up question on this - the WP8 tile 'Me' has a label. I user Evernote and I pinned a particular note and that also had a title - this all of course in the min size - finally I add a single contact - that also shows up with Title! So I guess, it is possible to have a tile on Min Size tiles. I hope this does come as an enhancement.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could turn off labels on my start screen. That would be really clean.

I also wish groups synced and backed up to people on the web and W8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petazinta