XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. snaqvi91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    A lot of people find the lack of a decent official Facebook app for Windows Phone to be disappointing. There's the website touch.facebook.com which is basically a web based app that looks very similar to the Android and iOS apps except it runs in the browser. Sure there aren't notifications but the Me tile has Facebook notifications right? You can make a tile out of the website like I have for the Pulse website on my Windows 8 device and it looks very similar to an app icon. It's also kind of reassuring that you will have rock solid stability in a web app but maybe that's just what I think. So for regular Facebook users (not heavy ones), what problems are there with this set up? Me tile for notifications, Messaging app for Facebook chat and Facebook touch web app for regular Facebook access.

    I think Windows is lucky to some extent in that it has Internet Explorer 10. This is what Pulse has to say about it:
    In researching our options, we quickly realized Internet Explorer 10 truly was the best and only option if we were going to do this right. We weren't sure whether this would really work, and honestly, we were a little skeptical. But after speaking with the team at IE and the developer team at Pixel Lab, we were blown away with what IE10 could bring to the table.
  2. Flagz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    852 Posts
    Global Posts
    973 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I bought the Facebook Touch Pro app, which is basically the web app a little more cleaned up from my experience bit it cost a dollar and has a icon and launches like an app
  3. danwanna's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    The only thing that doesn't work for me on the mobile site (or FB Touch Pro) is clicking on a notification and being taken to the post in question. It just closes the notification window but that is all.
    WPenvy likes this.
  4. snaqvi91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Does the Facebook Touch Pro app have notifications?
  5. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    Does the Facebook Touch Pro app have notifications?
    I'm pretty sure it's just a wrapper around a webview, so no.
    Flagz likes this.
  6. Venugopal Jakhotiya's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by null4end View Post
    The only thing that doesn't work for me on the mobile site (or FB Touch Pro) is clicking on a notification and being taken to the post in question. It just closes the notification window but that is all.
    yeah.. thats weird.. coz a couple of days ago i accessed the touch facebook site and the notification thing was working..
    but today.. as is my habit.. i typed fb.com on IE and it took me to the touch facebook site and the address bar still said m.facebook.com.. and on this site the notification problem started showing up...
  7. Mio_Ray's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    317 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Wuhuu. Nice tip. Totally forgot about that touch site. It is awesome now!
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
  8. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    The classic web 2.0 format of m.facebook.com was thoroughly enjoyed by myself. This new UI is horrible. The transition happened for me over the course of a single day (various links would use the new UI). I'm not redirected to notification links, messages, or profiles sending a friend request - basically all the stuff at the top doesn't work as its supposed to.

    I filed a bug report but I'm sure they'll need more to take notice. I guess I'll finally start making use of the actual app. Thank god the last update has stepped up performance considerably.
  9. snaqvi91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #9  
    I might be wrong but I think the old mobile site is still available.
  10. Venugopal Jakhotiya's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    I might be wrong but I think the old mobile site is still available.
    I have tried accessing it through m.facebook.com but it redirects me to the touch site.. pretty frustrating..
    also all the photos are being cropped from the right side..
  11. iknowsingh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Venugopal Jakhotiya View Post
    I have tried accessing it through m.facebook.com but it redirects me to the touch site.. pretty frustrating..
    also all the photos are being cropped from the right side..
    I realize on my Lumia 920, m.facebook is now exactly the same as touch.facebook... but on my old HTC Arrive, m.facebook takes to the old-style Facebook mobile site that we're used to. It seems they may be taking the user agent strings and redirecting them to the sites they feel are appropriate.

    So Windows Phone 7 devices should still be on the old-styled m.facebook, and Windows Phone 8 devices should be using the new-styled m/touch.facebook layout according to what I've noticed.

    Regardless, the new style has quite a few bugs and needs to be worked out better. I'm sure they work just fine in Android/iOS, but I doubt they tested in WP IE10 :(
  12. Venugopal Jakhotiya's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by iknowsingh View Post
    I realize on my Lumia 920, m.facebook is now exactly the same as touch.facebook... but on my old HTC Arrive, m.facebook takes to the old-style Facebook mobile site that we're used to. It seems they may be taking the user agent strings and redirecting them to the sites they feel are appropriate.

    So Windows Phone 7 devices should still be on the old-styled m.facebook, and Windows Phone 8 devices should be using the new-styled m/touch.facebook layout according to what I've noticed.

    Regardless, the new style has quite a few bugs and needs to be worked out better. I'm sure they work just fine in Android/iOS, but I doubt they tested in WP IE10 :(
    they work well on Android and iOS and the touch site used to be almost without bugs when i used to access it a few days ago.. but this new version seems frustratingly buggy..
  13. iosub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Hi

    All of you are you with wp8 with portico update ?

    I have a htc8x with portico and the pictures show up on fb timeline in low resolution.

    On the other phone 920 without portico they show ok.

    I have try to find on the htc8x the new option of portico on IE to download pictures but I can't find it...

    Thanks
  14. iknowsingh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by iosub View Post
    Hi

    All of you are you with wp8 with portico update ?
    I can say that I have Portico (AT&T-branded 920 on StraightTalk), and it might be because I believe IE was updated slightly in Portico (I could be wrong). I remember reading something somewhere saying that there were small fixes for IE in the update.
  15. iosub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by iknowsingh View Post
    I can say that I have Portico (AT&T-branded 920 on StraightTalk), and it might be because I believe IE was updated slightly in Portico (I could be wrong). I remember reading something somewhere saying that there were small fixes for IE in the update.
    So you also see the pictures in low resolution?

    Do you have the option on IE to don't download pictures ?
    Thanks
  16. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by iosub View Post
    So you also see the pictures in low resolution?

    Do you have the option on IE to don't download pictures ?
    Thanks
    No AND we still have option to "view full size photo".

    I also just noticed that because we can't pinch-zoom with the new website, I can't browse Facebook while on the phone. -_-
    Last edited by WPenvy; 12-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.
  17. iosub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by WPenvy View Post
    yes we still have option to "view full size photo".

    I also just noticed that because we can't pinch-zoom with the new website, I can't browse Facebook while on the phone. -_-
    This is just for touch.facebook.com

    If you go to the touch.Facebook.com menu and select desktop Facebook.. You can see the pictures is high resolution.. So this is a bug on fb,touch with portico..

    We should send a feedback to fb.
  18. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by iosub View Post
    This is just for touch.facebook.com

    If you go to the touch.Facebook.com menu and select desktop Facebook.. You can see the pictures is high resolution.. So this is a bug on fb,touch with portico..

    We should send a feedback to fb.
    what?... No, I mean pics are still viewed in seemingly high res
  19. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Good news. As of this evening the stuff at the top is working like its supposed to. Notifications, messages and friend requests too

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 05:56 AM
  2. What's wrong with this picture? MS Store app fail
    By david90531 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
  4. I don't know what is wrong with my phone ahh!
    By Ineedwindowsphonesupportahh in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2012, 04:07 PM
  5. What is wrong with the intergrated Facobook?
    By Nakazul in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions