Lock screen and sms toast notifications

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Any talks or anything with an option to disable this coming soon? or an app? Already had an issue at work with an employee seeing a private message sent from my boss :/

seems like such a simple complaint BUT its a pretty huge privacy issue.

beej

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Why can't you just keep the phone in a pocket or upside down on your desk? I'd think that people would have to look pretty closely (almost intentionally) to see the content of a text.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
This is one of those simple things that I don't understand about WP. Why can't this be added? If I had to make a guess I would bet its because multiple apps use the same api's for toast. Odd that an app can turn off toast notifications but messaging can't.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
On one hand, I agree that it shouldn't be hard to add, and that it's not a bad idea, but on the other hand, if security is important to you, it doesn't seem responsible to leave your phone where someone can see a text coming over in the short period that a Toast is there, especially if you KNOW how the phone will handle a text.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
anywayyyy I was just asking if anyone heard of any future update or an app... so getting all defensive isn't needed lol

the context wasn't the issue, just showing who was sent from raised flags (can't explain nor does it matter seeing I was only asking a question) BUT yes I could lock my phone away and hide it under safe and key...

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
it doesn't seem responsible to leave your phone where someone can see a text coming over in the short period that a Toast is there, especially if you KNOW how the phone will handle a text.

That was my thought, someone has to be looking pretty hard to see a toast. Or else your coworkers need to learn to mind their own business.

...so getting all defensive isn't needed...

I don't see anybody getting defensive, just offering some basic suggestions.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
anywayyyy I was just asking if anyone heard of any future update or an app... so getting all defensive isn't needed lol

the context wasn't the issue, just showing who was sent from raised flags (can't explain nor does it matter seeing I was only asking a question) BUT yes I could lock my phone away and hide it under safe and key...
Or just turn it over. But no, no word other than the fact that they had plans for it, and it didn't make the deadline.

What upcoming notification center? You know something new?

Microsoft announced they are working on a notification center in an upcoming update.
Are you sure? I recall that it was on their roadmap, but it didn't make the deadline for WP8 launch, but I don't recall hearing confirmation that it would be in the next update (Apollo Plus?). I could be wrong...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Though not a big deal to me, I think you should be able to disable toasts for messages if you want.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The lack of a one-stop notification center is a big draw back. Regardless of how the tiles are designed to work, it is a fundamental and uber popular feature for phones to display all their notifications from one place. Being able to easily and quickly swipe down (android) to see all my notifications was excellent. For Microsoft to say they ran out of time to implement a very basic and necessary feature blows my mind.

Also, does anyone know how to prevent my screen from lighting up every time I get a notification? The chime is enough. I don't want my screen to lighting up every 3 minutes. Talk about a battery killer. I don't see anything in the settings for this.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Or just turn it over. But no, no word other than the fact that they had plans for it, and it didn't make the deadline.

Are you sure? I recall that it was on their roadmap, but it didn't make the deadline for WP8 launch, but I don't recall hearing confirmation that it would be in the next update (Apollo Plus?). I could be wrong...

Did not say the NEXT update. But it will come, eventually :)

Mr_Drewskie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
No offence to those that say "turn your phone over" or "keep it in your pocket" but there are a thousand reasons why your phone might be out when you get a message. I think having the option to turn the toast notification off is a perfectly reasonable idea and should not be a big deal to those that think the toast notification is "perfect the way it is". By the by turning it over on your desk is a welcome way to have your screen unintentionally scratched by god know what. And please don't site the countless videos on the screens resiliency. It only takes one freak occurrence to ruin your screen.

I love my Windows Phone but I too agree that an option to disable toast notifications is a vital addition. The notification center with shortcuts to major options like wifi, ringer volume, ect... is yet another vital addition. I'd like to see a few customizing options come down the line. Custom SMS notification sounds for instance.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Yay... Currently now windows phones are restricted from high sensitivity areas at my work :/ sucks cause I work in a surveillance & investigation room 10 hours a day.

what a dumb problem to have... Probably just keep one of my bolds and swap out the simcard when I get to work and leave.

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
This is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Security gee...dude if you are working in a tight environment no phone will ever comply with these policies. I can simply go to a colleague while he is texting or reads his e-mail and take his phone from the hand and what then? He broke the policy cause someone saw the content from his phone. This is dumb, no offense but it is stupid.
Another analogy is like you have a laptop and if someone walks by your desk and sees the info then you're compromised, you broke the policy again.
If there are so strict rules then maybe they should ask all the employes to place their phones in another room, you should have a sign with "no phones/tablets etc that may contain sensitive info"

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
haha cool your jets turbo! Clearly I'm sure your what? High school? Grown folks in the work world use mobile devices for work communications. My work provides employees blackberries and connect to a BES server as well as BYOD.. I wanted a windows phone 8 device so I chose to buy a WP8 device. Every single mobile operating system has a simple option to disable toast notifications.

is a small yet dumb setting that can be easily fixed BUT I'm sure MS isn't your gf that you had to defend like that lol

thanks though, first good laugh of the day

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm cool relax, I was just saying that is stupid, and it is. Everyone can see what you are doing on a phone, if you have some open space or desk colleague. BES server doesn't encrypt visual field from the guy staying behind you.
And btw I think I have more experience in corporation than you.
I'm not defending MS, I was just saying that even with that setting available people can still see what you are doing.
You detailed a situation when WP8 failed but that scenario had a person near you, and while you are reading an sms or e-mail on your phone you are concentrated and you don't pay attention what's near you, and it may happen that someone else could drop an eye on what you're reading. That's all. You are the one who asked for something that wouldn't even help you in your situation.
Now please, try to behave. I just said it is stupid because it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786