Will Windows Mobile ever succeed?

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: The good things about WP8 (Why WP will succeed)

According to IDC's Q2 smartphone shipment figures indicate Windows Phone (MSFT) was the #2 smartphone OS in Latin America, behind Android but ahead of iOS. (PR)Microsoft notes WP was ranked second in Mexico, Colombia, and Peru, and third in Argentina, Brazil, and Chile. Announcement of CEO resignation have sent MS shares up 6%

magnus117

Sep 22, 2007
Visit site
In the end it will all go back to MS and Apple. Android's user experience and performance drops drastically outside its higher end devices. Google doesn't seem to care enough about Android's quality issues, as along as it serves as a vehicle for its services and products. That's why I think that in the end devices like the Lumia 521, 620, and the iPhone 5C will cannibalize on Android. My prediction is that Google Play will become a multi platform store as Android slowly fades. This is still a win situation for Google which will be able to push services and content everywhere.

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Today's Balmer resignation was a positive I think. If they put a non salesman/marketer in charge that will be good. That move did not work for HP either when they did it. Take care of the customer the rest will take care of itself.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
To put my comments in perspective, this is my first touch screen phone. Until 3 weeks ago, I was using an old Blackberry 8320. Now that I have my Nokia 521 and WP8, my desktop is getting somewhat lonely. Until I got this phone, I used my desktop for both work and entertainment. Now, I find that I seldom use the desktop unless I am working. There is no way I can effectively work with big spreadsheets and 200 page reports on the WP, but for just about everything else, it does a fine job. To me, that is testament enough about how good it is.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
To put my comments in perspective, this is my first touch screen phone. Until 3 weeks ago, I was using an old Blackberry 8320. Now that I have my Nokia 521 and WP8, my desktop is getting somewhat lonely. Until I got this phone, I used my desktop for both work and entertainment. Now, I find that I seldom use the desktop unless I am working. There is no way I can effectively work with big spreadsheets and 200 page reports on the WP, but for just about everything else, it does a fine job. To me, that is testament enough about how good it is.

How to you input? Surely, you don't use the WP "keyboard?" And as we've discoverred to our chagrin, WP doesn't even support HID BT for an external KB.

rianash

May 27, 2013
Visit site
My wife likes it.

That's why WP will succeed. Mwuahahaha.. :)

Seriously, I bought her 720 after getting her input on my 620. She was using my 620 from time to time and complaining about its small keyboard. With 720, its just about right for her. If only it has had official instagram, says she. But I'll download 6tag for her tomorrow and see how it goes..

Who needs hundreds thousands of apps? Not me, not her. Her mostly used apps are Whatsapp (texting me of course..), OneNote (grocery list..), Facebook, Skype (calling me of course..), and YouTube HD for downloading videos (Glee songs.. I don't know what those are.. :D ).

I use Here Drive a lot for traveling. I really like the offline map feature.

Finally, we love the fact that for the price of 1 iPhone (no-contract), we got 620 and 720 (no-contract), believing that we have no degradation of functionalities (if any) compared to iOS ecosystem. Beware Apple..

Last month, a friend of mine compared my 620 with his Samsung GSIII. He was amazed on the Lumia interface simplicity and fluidity, while complaining on his phone interface lags and requiring a lot of taps to get jobs done. Beware Samsung..

Go Nokia/Microsoft!!.. The world is ready for your taking.. Mwuahahaha.. :D

Last edited:

bill_windows

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
It will succeed because MICROSOFT is like an old dog...Never quit...plus the super smooth experience,the nokia devices(now belong to Microsoft) and every other opinion in upper comments...

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Fast, fluid UI. Live Tiles. Nokia apps rock. Rock solid stable, at least on par with iOS in that respect. No malware to worry about. For those that really NEED the crappy Instagram network, there is 6tag and equivalent apps for the other ****ty social networks.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is finally building an ecosystem, not all these products that are separate, everything is starting to work together. Businesses are slow to upgrade....we all know that but once they do hopefully by that time the integration between WP8 and Windows will be more seamless making business not limited by technology.

WP8 will succeed because the world runs on Windows and that's not going to change.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
How to you input? Surely, you don't use the WP "keyboard?" And as we've discoverred to our chagrin, WP doesn't even support HID BT for an external KB.
As I said in my post, when I need to do heavy input, I use my desktop with a real keyboard.The WP virtual keyboard is fine for sending text messages etc.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Everyone has already mentioned everything I could come up with and then some. Windows Phone should be marketed a bit heavier to the enterprise sector should it not? Security and expansive integration from Microsoft, the same company that powers alot of backend infrastructure for alot of the enterprise world anyway. Granted there's alot of Unix, AS400 and variants of the sort but MS has a far deeper foothold into that world than Apple or Google could ever begin to touch. I should think Windows Phone would be a natural fit.

That subject is of interest to me just because I'm recently an ex BlackBerry loyalist of a long standing, and its a subject often discussed in that world. I'm not totally sure why, but the viability of a platform in the enterprise segment slightly affects how seriously I can take a platform (I'm not a businessman by the way.) I guess what I'm saying here is that with BlackBerry falling out of the game now, Windows Phone's enterprise viability is one of my favorite aspects that doesn't have to include mention of it's beautiful and incredibly efficient UI :)

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
As I said in my post, when I need to do heavy input, I use my desktop with a real keyboard.The WP virtual keyboard is fine for sending text messages etc.

But the implication was that you are using the big KB with the phone. One used to be able to do that with Nokia Suite for messaging. Now we can't even use a BT keyboard with WP. Major fail.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
But the implication was that you are using the big KB with the phone. One used to be able to do that with Nokia Suite for messaging. Now we can't even use a BT keyboard with WP. Major fail.

Not sure where I implied that, but if I did I didn't mean to.

Regards,

Anguis

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, folks,

I'm new to Windows Phone, having bought a 521 about two weeks ago. As far as how WP will succeed, for me, I'm pretty sure I won't be going back to iOS. The reason? After just a few hours, on the first day, I became hooked on using the Back button. It was that simple. I picked up my old iPod Touch a few hours after messing with the new phone and found that having no Back button was really annoying. Over the last few weeks, that's remained consistent. Simple as that!

gabrelov

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
As recent Data suggest both IDC and Qantar that WP is growing surely but slowly worldwide while android is slowing and possibly experiencing decline in some markets. Not to mention blackberry is almost out. The reason, low end WP like 520 and 620 with 520 alone accounting 1/3 of all WP devices. Possibly at least a million sold every month and no slowdown in sales.

rianash

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I this sounds kinda stupid to say, but I saw a really hot girl last night using a nokia 1020 - I was stunned first because she was stunning and secondly because she had a nokia 1020 and loved it and all her friends liked it too. There's hope.

Hahaha.. Your comment makes me smile. It's not stupid to say it, imo. I believe that's logic. Hot girls use hot products.. :D

Talking about correlation, my wife (a hot woman, imho) uses 720 (also a hot product). Hahaha..

Cheers to hot girls.. :D

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Cheaper wp 8 (lumia 520) slowly winning over users.

I think it definitely will. Sure they have a long way to go, but updates are coming. In the meantime, my region, Trinidad and Tobago, Caribbean, has slowly but surely seen the adoption of windows phone 8. The lumia 520 seems to be a hot seller, mainly because of its the lowest price. Also a local unofficial reseller has recently started selling the lumia 720 in smaller quantities. In the first weekend that the 720 was available at the store, I was fortunate to see 2 people sporting it. Sure there are lots of android fans in my region and blackberry still dominates the younger crowd mainly because of the BIS but WP8 devices are becoming visible.
One major competitor to the Lumia 520 has been a cheap android model, specifically being promoted by the same service provider that acts as the lone official service provider of windows phone 8 devices. Part of the reason though is that the 520 here is unfairly priced at about $1299. approx. $215 US. Hopefully it wins over the masses.

Ruben Aceves

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I like the whole layout period. The speed of the Explorer Brower is surprising. I have the Lumia 521 and I am dead set on this style now. I am an ex iPhone owner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)