Will Windows Mobile ever succeed?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Lets make a thread about what we all like about WP8. Why we think it will succeed. We already have a sticky about what some people think WP needs to succeed. This time around we are talking about what is great right now in WP8. There might be some speculation and a ton of opinion in this thread. If you don't agree with the posts in this thread move on to another thread or start your own for debate. We will keep this thread positive so people considering WP can get some perspective. There are many advantages to WP now, what are they. Tell us why you use WP and why you like what Microsoft is doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: The good things about WP8 (Why WP will succeed)

Allow me to start....

1. Zune/Xbox Music integration (hey, if you got an Xbox Music Pass, it'll work here!)
  2. MS Office integration
  3. People Hub drawing up contacts from all the social networks, sometimes automatically linking contacts together (although this has been wrong on me in the past, but hey, at least it tried!)
  4. Xbox LIVE integration. Play games on your phone, earn Xbox LIVE Gamerscore. Score!
  5. All your social feeds, all in one place (minus Instagram)
  6. SkyDrive Integration - which comes with a whooping 7GB free space!

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Security.
Best and the most secured OS on the planet. Ironically they also once made the desktop OS called XP which was a hacker's delight.

Stability.
Far superior than any other platform. No matter what part of the OS u are in, it is as smooth as ever.

Ease of use.
Try to look for an app on your Android and iOS and try to look for it on a WP. I bet it will take half the time on a WP. The OS is overall so easy to use, it takes minutes to understand it completely. User friendly and simple, just the way it should be.

Hardware Optimized.
Quad core, heXa core, 2GB RAM meh...don't confuse a phone with a computer. It doesn't need so many cores to run smooth. Even a first gen WP7 runs faster than my "DUAL CORE 1.2GHz MOTO FLAGSHIP BEAST".

Innovative.
Just one word says it all. Look at BB10. It looks like a Android and Apple did hanky-panky one rainy night and this was the outcome.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

-Windows Phone security this is a very secure OS with much backing from Microsoft to keep it that way.
-Single button to take a picture-genius
-Live Tiles-Love me some live tiles
-Bing search with integrated music search and text translation. How convenient one button to find out what that song is. One button to get that text translated from Spanish to English. I live in Texas I use this more than what you would think. You can even get those barcodes and tags read using Bing just under the magnifying glass.
-Photo hub with photo categories including by date, favorites, and people. "What are you kidding me you can see peoples photos in your photo hub?" Sure can just chose a contact and all there on line albums are listed for you to view. How simple is that?!
-People hub just pick a person in the hub and you can see everything about them like what's new with them, their photos and history. History what is that well that's all the calls text what ever interaction you have had with that person. Its all there.

I have much more but I have to unload the groceries now so I'll be back

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

For me it's convenience of the ecosystem. I can take a picture with my wp8 and shoot it to the skydrive. At that point my folder is shared with my wife and family and they have the pics in no time. They have the same set up so when something happens in their lives I can see it very soon. Then I get on my surface and get a share link for the pics to mail to my parents. Then the next time they check e-mail they can see pics of the grandkids. Nothing fancy or complicated but a big plus in my world.

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

Just got the 820. Absolutely fantastic user experience. Coming from a Blackberry (most recent phone, I have used Android as well) for personal and business, I have found WP8 outstanding not only in it's performance but overall ease of use, tight integration with the new Outlook.com. Great for both business and personal.
I really do not feel that Windows doesn't need millions of apps (most of which are useless on other OS's) keep developing quality apps in the store. WP* is already set for corporate environments.
Apple may have the corner on industrial design but WP8 UI is so clean and elegant in the way it interacts with the user. Varying tile sizes is great, simple. I feel that WP8 is more straight foreword in design. Android is great and a powerful system but not everyone wants that deep of customization, I feel you can have Android as complex as you ant it to be. Apple iOS maybe too simple, though iOS is "clean" it feels cluttered. WP8 makes great use of it's screen real estate. I generally like super clean home screens with little to no widgets or icons but with WP8 it never feels crowded or cluttered. It is because the use of "live" tiles. Makes the phone come to life and feels organic like it's breathing, constantly changing.
Efficiency should be WP8's montra. Efficiency on how the OS uses its power. It doesn't need quad core. Android tends to be a power hog. Case in point, I have had my phone off the charger since 12/29 11 a.m., it is 2:48 p.m. 12/30 when I wrote this response, it's at 29%. Not bad.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

-The new lock screen in WP8 deserves mention. I have the current temperature and conditions next appointment, missed email/messaging counts and digital readout of current battery level. All this with a background picture that changes every hour so I am always greeted by a new background.
-I have Bluetooth and WIFI on all the time with WIFI connected even with the screen off. I have battery level live tile on my start screen. It is great that the little signal battery icons at the top of the start screen disappear after a few seconds I don't need to looking at those all the time.
-Voice commands through Tell Me. Hands down my most used feature in WP8. I have a Bluetooth on at all times I do all my texting using voice. I even use the text to speech app to write posts for this forum.
-Visual Voicemail-This a well integrated feature basic and simple
-Text reject for phone calls. I am glad this has been added to the OS.
-XBOX integration- I play a lot of XBOX its nice to be able to check who is on line before turning on my XBOX
-XBOX music I have and get every bit of my music needs taken care of with XBOX Music. Even across the 3 screens. Was playing music on my home system with my XBOX during my Christmas party just last week.
-One Note I have to have one note
-Skydrive WOW what about that Skydrive and how it is integrated into the OS. I took some pictures of a machine I was taking apart one time. I was using my Arrive back then. I always have pictures set to upload automatically. Long story short I broke no destroyed my Arrive if those pictures hadn't been auto uploaded to Skydrive I would have been in trouble.
-Office integration I do a lot of work from my device I use office every day
-Outlook email integration with contacts, calendar, tasks, and email is top notch

I will stop here give someone else a chance.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Lots of great things already mentioned.

For me in particular, I love:
The beautiful interface (I don't see how anyone could find it ugly).
The metro design and the apps that use the design successfully (quite a few).
The dedicated camera button.
The fact that you really can't buy a bad phone with WP on it, there are just ones that are better than others.
How enjoyable it is to use the phone. Whenever I look at my brother's iPhone 5 I just find it so dang boring.
The live tiles (although I wish you could change how fast they flip, it's a little slower than I'd like)
The speed and smoothness of it all.

There's much more than that, but that's what came off the top of my head.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Android as complex as you ant it to be. Apple iOS maybe too simple, though iOS is "clean" it feels cluttered.

THIS.

It doesn't need quad core. Android tends to be a power hog. Case in point, I have had my phone off the charger since 12/29 11 a.m., it is 2:48 p.m. 12/30 when I wrote this response, it's at 29%. Not bad.

AND THIS.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

I have had my phone off the charger since 12/29 11 a.m. As of 12/31 2:37a.m. CMT my battery is at 12%.
Things I did to help extend my battery life.
Auto-brightness ON
Bluetooth OFF
WiFi OFF (when home, don't need it, use the laptop)
Internet sharing OFF
Tap+Send OFF
GPS OFF (only turn it on when I really need it for maps or certain apps)
kid's corner OFF
Find my phone OFF
Battery status ON
Text back up OFF
and other various apps that require constant updates (CNN)
All things I mentioned above I do not require to be active when at home. If I am at a coffee shop (which is almost 90% of my time, I always either have my laptop or iPad, I work out of my home). For the most part I use my phone for calls, texting and lots of email. For me and my needs it's perfect. WP8 takes care of all my needs in an elegant way. Tight integration with MS "cloud" services "Skydrive" to the simple but clean layout of the calendar to the elegant aesthetics of the overall messaging UI.
I cannot think of any OS that can do all these things for me in a way that has similar aesthetics and ease of use.

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Battery status ON

Do you mean battery saver is turned ON? If that's the case, any phone put on data off mode and only cellular connectivity with no data can last long enough. But if your battery saver is turned off and that's what you get out of your phone, it's impressive!

Dave_97865

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Overall the WP OS is very snazy and professional. As far as a professional phone, it's interface is better than Blackberry -- last I checked, I felt like Dilbert while using a Blackberry.

My Nokia phone has Removable/upgradable memory which iPhone lacks.

It was a close call for me between iPhone and WP, but I got the Windows phone because iOS is boring. iOS was designed for the least technologically competent people, like, a phone my grandma can use. I'm not her.

WP seems optimized for social networking, like many of the above posts state.

Autocorrect is much better than my previous Android phone. WP seems to predict on grammar and it's never typed a word that I didn't intend.

Last Android I had, the interface seemed way too touchy. It seems to go nuts if I touch it the wrong way. Every Android is different, so it's hard to say, but I know that I can backup WP and get live tiles exactly as I left them. Since every Android seems so different I'm not sure if backup/restore to different phones would go smoothly.

I also like the lenses feature in the camera. Built it Voice integration with One Note which is a great little app. The ONLY problem is fewer apps, and that is minor, since I'd rather have the best apps than being inundated with millions of crappy ones.

Last edited:

robl22

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Because the Nokia Lumina 920 is super sexy aha. Honestly though nicest phone I've seen aesthetically.

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

-I think that windows phone 8 has enough customizability that it isn't a fuss to deal with like android and is very streamlined like iOS
-office integration
-social networking integration
-lock screen with notifications and updates
-live tiles
-doesnt lag
-alphabetized list of apps in an actual lists so they're easier to find
-the keyboard, I'm having difficulty with android's despite months of use

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

Do you mean battery saver is turned ON? If that's the case, any phone put on data off mode and only cellular connectivity with no data can last long enough. But if your battery saver is turned off and that's what you get out of your phone, it's impressive!

I was using a battery stat app and not the battery saver. I just turn off everything that I do not use. I don't even turn on the WiFi in the coffee shop because I have my laptop with me to handle the internet, emails and so on. Basically I use the phone for calls and texting. To me the phone is a tool; an extension of my business and not myself, in other words I do not surf the web on it, play games, watch YouTube, I don't even Tweet on it or Facebook.
So for some people who may complain about battery life or for those who are concerned about battery life, are the ones who are using the phone to capacity. I see it as having a super power. Just because I can do all these things on my phone doesn't meant I need to exploit all it has to offer all at once. I use my powers for good not evil LOL.
My typical day from morning to evening is check email (phone) or missed calls and voice mails. Unplug from the charger not when I wake up but when I leave the house and go to the coffee shop (work out of the home) from there I sit with my citrus green tea and pull out the laptop. I'm one of those who use the coffee shop as an office. So I'm there almost all day. So in my situation I do not need to use the phone to its fullest.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

The good things about WP8 and why it will succeed:

- It's about you. Rather than rehashing the same old grid of icons and separate app for everything that you need to jump in and out of, Microsoft wiped the slate clean and started with a completely new way of thinking. Windows Phone is the first truly user-centric smartphone OS, a clear departure from the app-centric paradigm every other platform is stuck in. I think this is one of the most important features of Windows Phone and its often overlooked. But I think once a person recognizes it, that is the point where they go from merely interested in WP and actually become enamored. That's how it happened for me.

- Tiles, tiles everywhere. The Live Tile concept is a good one. It incorporates the function of an icon with some of the capabilities of a widget. It manages to do this without getting lost on a busy background picture or taking up too much room and looking messy and ill fitting like widgets often do. The tile idea is neat, clean and utterly functional and it doesn't make sacrifices in functionality or legibility for the sake of being cute or flashy. Once people get acclimated to using tiles on their desktop computers on Windows 8, seeing the same interface on phones and tablets will be familiar and reassuring. People will begin to question buying a phone with or tablet with a messy little smattering of icons and it'll be "Hey look honey, these phones and tablets look just like the new PC we just got. We know how to use that!". That, to me, is where the real tipping point for Windows Phone will be, and its only a matter of time. Unifying the ecosystem across devices is the holy grail in computing right now and Microsoft has a huge lead by connecting everything visually with Live Tiles and the fact that Windows runs on 90% of the worlds desktop computers.

- It's new. It's different, but it's safe. Let's face it. A lot of people are just bored with iOS and tired of Android. The Rule of Three suggests that there needs to be at least 3 competitors in any industry in order for consumers to enjoy the benefits that healthy competition for their business brings, i.e. lower prices, more innovation and differentiation. Microsoft is perfectly positioned to be that third option. Windows Phone is easily identifiable. As soon as you see it, you can't mistake it for iOS or Android, and now thanks to Nokia's Lumia 900 and 920 and HTC's 8x, they have hardware that is easily identifiable as being different from an iPhone or Android. Microsoft is also in a great position to be that third option but because they having staying power. Unlike RIM, Microsoft has virtually all the time and money in the world to see that Windows Phone succeeds. So Windows Phone is truly different, it looks different and its finally got some compelling and attractive hardware. Furthermore, it's backed up by one of the few tech companies that people trust to be around for the long haul, so making a move to it doesn't seem nearly as risky as going to RIM which could fold in a year or less, taking its OS with it or any random upstart like Firefox, Sailfish or Ubuntu.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

For me its everything. Literally:
Microsoft itself: The only company in the IT industry that you can truly trust. they are not going to bring out a new product in a years time and advertise It in a way that makes your one year old product looks ancient and inferior (Apple Im looking at you), nor are they going to use your information and sell it onto 3rd party people just to send you junk mail (hello Google)
Reliability: A phone is a working tool, something that should get the job done with ease, dependability and should be pleasing and a joy to use. Exactly what WP is. Smooth, sophisticated, reliable, quick, efficient, safe, the list goes on
MS Eco system: The fact that virtually all of Microsofts products will interact with windows phone. Xbox, Windows 7 and 8, bing search all speak to one and other. Its a very good integration and it work.
Marketing: In the beginning WP marketing wasn't all to shout about as such but now, they are great. Getting celebrities to promote their products in a fun, stylish, classy and easy to understand way.
The tiles: Best way to get notified for everything. Its not shoving it in your face but it let you know whats going on.
Its beautiful. Microsoft is a decent company providing ground breaking stuff. They are now picking up lost ground from 10 years ago. Good for them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb