Change of heart...& mind.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
That's because I think the number of 8S sold it not high compared to 8X, specially in US, I believe. Hence you don't see many posts about it.

Hmm..could be.

But no one seems to answer my Q..will the small screen (4") be an eye sore for long hours of reading and writing..?

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
mm... i don't understand why spec for the processor is that important if it's not going to be app/game heavy, i think the OS will run just as smooth on the 8s as my Lumia 800 which is even lower on spec

the single biggest issue i have with it is the 4GB internal memory, but if you stick a memory card in it should fix alot of the woes, what it would come down to me in the is the price difference, if the difference between the 8s and the 820 is minor, i don't see why you wouldn't go with the 820 to save some headache (then again if the price of 820 is the same as 8x as others suggest, you would have a different headache) (btw, you might want to factor in the price of an sd card for the 8s)

i actually really like the look of the 8s, had a chance to play with it at Virgin Mobile a week or two ago, too bad im still tied down with a contract until end of this year

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
mm... i don't understand why spec for the processor is that important if it's not going to be app/game heavy, i think the OS will run just as smooth on the 8s as my Lumia 800 which is even lower on spec

the single biggest issue i have with it is the 4GB internal memory, but if you stick a memory card in it should fix alot of the woes, what it would come down to me in the is the price difference, if the difference between the 8s and the 820 is minor, i don't see why you wouldn't go with the 820 to save some headache (then again if the price of 820 is the same as 8x as others suggest, you would have a different headache) (btw, you might want to factor in the price of an sd card for the 8s)

i actually really like the look of the 8s, had a chance to play with it at Virgin Mobile a week or two ago, too bad im still tied down with a contract until end of this year
The answer 2 ur question is in the last last para. The design. Had the 8S looked like the godforsaken 620, this thread wouldn't have existed. It is the design and killer looks and is still making it hard for me to look away.

This, like everything else, is subjective. I don't strain at all on my 3.5" Quantum.

I know it is a subjective. But anyone who might have gone from a bigger screen to a smaller one could chime in...like U said, the web browser page just looked fine. But my issue would be Word, as I would sometimes be working on it in trains while commuting.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The answer 2 ur question is in the last last para. The design. Had the 8S looked like the godforsaken 620, this thread wouldn't have existed. It is the design and killer looks and is still making it hard for me to look away.

That is also subjective. To me 620 looks really good, specially at its price point. I would take 620(or any other Nokia WP) any day over 8S considering the Nokia support. Looks are deceptive often.;)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Looks are deceptive often.;)
Well said.
Now it is just the price. There are a few people here who are complaining about the memory whereas others aren't. It is honestly confusing me. I am dead sure I am not going to install 30000 apps. I don't have the money nor the time to tinker with them. But what I WILL SURELY use the phone for is reading a lot of web articles/tech sites/news articles/ and work on MS Word whilst commuting (you know how cranky bosses can get right? :p ) So, if there won't be an issue with these things, I am game for 8S.

But on the other hand, the 820 has some really really good things that are making it hard for me to ignore it. FFC, 1.5 GHz dual core, 1GB RAM etc etc...Oh and bigger screen...so I hope u know where I am coming from.. :)

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well said.
Now it is just the price. There are a few people here who are complaining about the memory whereas others aren't. It is honestly confusing me. I am dead sure I am not going to install 30000 apps. I don't have the money nor the time to tinker with them. But what I WILL SURELY use the phone for is reading a lot of web articles/tech sites/news articles/ and work on MS Word whilst commuting (you know how cranky bosses can get right? :p ) So, if there won't be an issue with these things, I am game for 8S.

But on the other hand, the 820 has some really really good things that are making it hard for me to ignore it. FFC, 1.5 GHz dual core, 1GB RAM etc etc...Oh and bigger screen...so I hope u know where I am coming from.. :)
http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8s/210621-problem-memory-management-htc-8s.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8s/211086-how-do-i-free-up-phone-storage-space-there-way.html

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well said.

Memory is a serious issue. The operating system takes up a significant amount of memory. Apps can not be installed on micro-SD cards. So if you only have a low amount of memory you will be able to do the core features, you won't be able to download maps or a lot of ApS.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Also, what is this thing I am hearing of "resetting" and "format" the 8S? Does it mean a hard reset? And how many times does one have to do it?
again, just browsing and surfing, and NOT installing apps will fill up space I am guessing?

madhu.tmk

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys..

Adreno 305 is not better than 225.. It's about half as powerful as 225..

305 is the upgrade for previous generation 205 (both of these are for low end phones)
320 is the upgraded version of 225 (both of these are for high end phones)

So 320>225>305>205
Got it..?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys..

Adreno 305 is not better than 225.. It's about half as powerful as 225..

305 is the upgrade for previous generation 205 (both of these are for low end phones)
320 is the upgraded version of 225 (both of these are for high end phones)

So 320>225>305>205
Got it..?

Thanks man..can u link us the source?

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
8S is fail. 1.0 ghz. 512 mb RAM. 4 GB. No thanks.
Why? So far mine is working a treat. It is more than twice as fast as the Lumia 800 it replaces and, thanks to a 32Gb microSD card, it has more than twice the storage. It is appreciably slimmer and only a few mm wider (same height) so I'm getting all this double goodness in half the volume of phone. The 800's AMOLED screen was definitely nicer but the 8S's screen is more than acceptable. The camera quality seems to be about the same, which far exceeds my needs anyway. It also lasts a good three days on a charge, compared to two for the Lumia.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I just went through this same process and ultimately I really couldn't see the value in the cost of an 820 over the 8S. SO far my 8S has been great. I am currently having a problem with the microSD card but I'm hoping that is the card's fault.

Most of my gripes are with WP8, not with the hardware. The sync software is a complete waste of time - it takes a couple of minutes to sync my music every time I start it and it only allows me to copy whole albums or playlists, not individual songs. It reminds me of all the krappy sync software that used to frustrate the **** out of me in the dim, dark days of features phones and I cannot imagine ever using it. Sadly, the new phone doesn't show up in Zune, so I am left to copy stuff across in Explorer, which is pretty krap. Zune is the whole reason I got into the whole MS ecosystem - it single-handedly made me see MS in a completely different light. I can't believe they have ditched it for a piece of garbage like the new sync app.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Zune is the whole reason I got into the whole MS ecosystem - it single-handedly made me see MS in a completely different light. I can't believe they have ditched it for a piece of garbage like the new sync app.

Aye, I was a HUGE fan of Zune as well. That software coupled with a Music Pass was absolute perfection!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The 620 is cheaper and faster, but it also comes with the ethical (and quality assurance) concerns around Foxconn-style "death factories." The HTC devices, in contrast, are assembled by well-paid union workers with health care and retirement benefits in Taiwan. That's something of a consideration for me as well.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Why? So far mine is working a treat. It is more than twice as fast as the Lumia 800 it replaces and, thanks to a 32Gb microSD card, it has more than twice the storage. It is appreciably slimmer and only a few mm wider (same height) so I'm getting all this double goodness in half the volume of phone. The 800's AMOLED screen was definitely nicer but the 8S's screen is more than acceptable. The camera quality seems to be about the same, which far exceeds my needs anyway. It also lasts a good three days on a charge, compared to two for the Lumia.

First of all, there is NO way it is "twice as fast" as the 800. Second, all you can do with an SD card is put pictures and music on it. In the meantime, you are left with barely 2 GB of usable space for APPS. Honestly, I'd rather have an 800 running 7.8, it would be a more useful device. What is the point of having WP8 if you have barely any room for all those great new apps and you only have 512 MB of RAM so you will miss out on the best apps?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The 620 is cheaper and faster, but it also comes with the ethical (and quality assurance) concerns around Foxconn-style "death factories." The HTC devices, in contrast, are assembled by well-paid union workers with health care and retirement benefits in Taiwan. That's something of a consideration for me as well.

So far the best reason to buy the 8S.

Sent from my DROID RAZR on JB.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
First of all, there is NO way it is "twice as fast" as the 800. Second, all you can do with an SD card is put pictures and music on it. In the meantime, you are left with barely 2 GB of usable space for APPS. Honestly, I'd rather have an 800 running 7.8, it would be a more useful device. What is the point of having WP8 if you have barely any room for all those great new apps and you only have 512 MB of RAM so you will miss out on the best apps?

That's exactly my quandary. Forget the apps or forget money? He he..

Sent from my DROID RAZR on JB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb