Change of heart...& mind.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Did loads and loads of research. Absolutely love the 8s....but BUT... Here is some thing I stumbled upon...& it helped me decide better against my decision to pick the HTC 8S...

l
image.jpg

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 820 though being a budge phone, has the CPU that is the same on 920 & 8X. That is a major major advantage... The resolution is the same on the 8S then why go for the 8S...am I wrong or right? I still haven't bought anything...

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 820 though being a budge phone, has the CPU that is the same on 920 & 8X. That is a major major advantage... The resolution is the same on the 8S then why go for the 8S...am I wrong or right? I still haven't bought anything...

The 8S is probably a lot cheaper, but I think if you compare the 620 to the 8S, the 620 will come out on top.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

The Lumia 820 also has a better camera, along with a front facing camera which the 8S lacks. I don't think the 820 is a budget phone, it's a very capable mid range phone. I would consider the 620 to be a better comparison to the 8S. If you're looking for a budget phone, the 8S or 620 are your options. The 820 is a lot more expensive (I believe retail price is around $500), but if you're willing to pay for it I would take it over the 8S any day.

Iumia

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I hope you can figure out a decision soon :)

Like others I'd take the 620 over the 8S myself, but I think that's your decision as to whether you have a preference towards that phone.

Bryan_J

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering about the GPU as well - how much (if at all) does that compensate?

The bigger worry I'd have is the 512MB of ram.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Like many of u pointed, here are a few if things I still need to consider:

The GPU - Adreno 305 IS advanced, but does it make up for the low RAM?

The Price - Is it worth the extra bucks or the difference between 8S and 820 in performance will be negligible?

The 620 - Let me just put it as simply as I can, I HATE IT! Can't stand sight of that plastic toy...

The Resolution - It is a better/crisper resolution than the 820

What really changed my decision is the fact that 820 has the same Snapdragon processor & the same RAM as the high end devices like the 8X & the 920.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, the 305 is in fact not better than the 225. I'm unsure of the actual performance difference, but remember that the flagships have to push ~2.5 times the number of pixels that the low end WVGA devices do. GPUs don't make up for RAM in any case, what you'd be concerned with regarding RAM would be 1) any restrictions Microsoft places on 512MB devices and 2) how many apps you can keep in memory (frozen, but instantly resumable). I'm not aware of any restrictions for the first point. For the second, the phone may unload some apps from memory if you run out of RAM, but remember Microsoft has that silly seven app restriction anyway. I personally don't see 512MB as a huge downside considering the current restrictions, but if future updates allow for more background processing and more apps kept in memory, that could change.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hehe dude I think you're over complicating your decision. You've examined each 100 different ways. Just flip a coin and if you hate the choice you made within a week swap it out for the other.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hehe dude I think you're over complicating your decision. You've examined each 100 different ways. Just flip a coin and if you hate the choice you made within a week swap it out for the other.

Haha...i know man...I saw the 8S JUST NOW...and its a beauty! The 820 may be expensive and rightly so...the 8S is just sexy!

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
If your buying full retail, amazon has 820 for $575 unlocked and the 8x for $550 sonif your even thinking about the 820, why not just go for the 8x? Do you want the SD slot? If so then 820. Personally I would take the 8X Technology inside of the 8S :(

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If your buying full retail, amazon has 820 for $575 unlocked and the 8x for $550 sonif your even thinking about the 820, why not just go for the 8x? Do you want the SD slot? If so then 820. Personally I would take the 8X Technology inside of the 8S :(

I'm from India. No Amazon, no contract price, no nothing.
Only a full retail.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I would go with the 820. From price and maybe looks the 8S has something going, but You just get more phone with the 820. I did'nt like the design in the beginning, but it is actually quite nice and I seriously considered it as an alternative if I could not cope with the size of the 920. (which turned out to be no problem)
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I would go with the 820. From price and maybe looks the 8S has something going, but You just get more phone with the 820. I did'nt like the design in the beginning, but it is actually quite nice and I seriously considered it as an alternative if I could not cope with the size of the 920. (which turned out to be no problem)
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Thanks...even I didn't like the 820 at all. But the black one looks like James Bond...:D

Also, for someone who is going to use it for pretty basic stuff, the 8S is near perfect. However, i saw it today in real and I just thought the screen was tad bit small. I use a 4.3" so may be it will take a while...also the whites were white..the 8X white was purplish.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Is microSD a must have for you? Because if you're going to pay for a 820, you might as well go for the 8X (not S). They cost pretty much the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb