Local Scout Problems?

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Posted this under Windows Phone 8 since this seems to be a problem (at least for me) that only happens in Windows Phone 8. (for Canada btw).

I personally am still using a Samsung Focus as my primary phone and I have a Lumia 920 and an Ativ S in my family.

When I use Local Scout on my Focus, it works flawlessly and I get all the restaurants/shops etc. to display nearby but when I try to do the same on either the 920 or the Ativ, I get a "no suggestions/places nearby". I've tried changing all the regional settings but to no avail. Even tried it at a number of different places. Both the phones even have Portico on them and are on different carieers so the only thing relating them is WP8. Also, Nokia's local "places" still come up with no trouble.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I registered to say this: you are not alone.

I also have a rogers HTC 8X and I cannot get local scout to show any results. "We couldn't find any nearby places in this category."
This is despite having a USA live account registered with the phone and ALL region settings set to USA.

Like you I also had success with this work around on WP 7.X

BTW, I am running OS version 8.0.10211.204, I didn't get to try out local scout on the original shipping version.

David Rye

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I am having same problem to I had an unlocked Samsung focus on Bell and local scout worked amazingly. I recently updated to htc 8x on bell and nothing in local scout works except for the see+do section. eat+drink cant find anything anyone got any ideas?

Micfur

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I feel for you guys, I use Local Scout almost everyday and to upgrade to WP8 and have this issue is horrible. Hope the 810 I get next month doesn't have this same problem. Good luck guys.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I feel for you guys, I use Local Scout almost everyday and to upgrade to WP8 and have this issue is horrible. Hope the 810 I get next month doesn't have this same problem. Good luck guys.

By 810 I assume you are in the US on T-Mobile. I have an 810 on T-Mo. I have no problems using Local Scout here. I do feel badly for anyone who doesn't have full bing use. It's an amazing service (if it works for you). I really hope MS gets all bing services rolled out everywhere sooner rather than later. In particular because it's an important feature of Windows Phone. It just shouldn't be neglected.

Micfur

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
By 810 I assume you are in the US on T-Mobile. I have an 810 on T-Mo. I have no problems using Local Scout here. I do feel badly for anyone who doesn't have full bing use. It's an amazing service (if it works for you). I really hope MS gets all bing services rolled out everywhere sooner rather than later. In particular because it's an important feature of Windows Phone. It just shouldn't be neglected.
That's good to hear, must be affecting people outside the US only. After using your 810 for awhile, if you had a chance would still get the 810, or see what new Lumia models T-Mo will be supporting mid year. I read somewhere that T-Mo might get a 920 variant but it was a rumor.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue (Rogers 920). My Focus on Rogers didnt have this issue. The only way I can get results is to search for a place by name. Doing this I've noticed another problem.

Say I search a place, get a list of local results, select one of the places and get the Bing card for the location. If I go over to the Apps pivot no apps show up. Meaning apps like Add to Contacts don't work through it anymore.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think its because of Nokias mapping data. Remember Bing gave us better location data (US) because I'm guessing this is there home. Since Bings backend is Nokia, all data has been changed.

Teja1

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
It's interesting. If you enable Local Scout on a WP8, it won't work in Canada. However, if you zoom out of the map and zoom in to a US city - it works fine. It seems like the functionality is disabled outside of the US.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
From Microsoft: Local Scout. Local Scout (a feature accessible from the Start screen, Bing search, and Maps) is available in the following countries/regions: Australia, China, France, United Kingdom, United States.

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I find this frustrating as well (Rogers 920 users, previously 900 and Focus). Seems odd that even when you use the US search browser reason it doesn't work on WP8. Odd that they would block it for WP8, but not WP7. I wish we could get some official response. Sometimes See+Do will work in certain areas as will Local deals. I would really like to see this fixed by either unblocking it or have MS expand Local Scout availability (not having it in Canada is baffling).

fooliod

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Not only do I have this issue with Local Scout - but i have this issue with Yelp, and Maps. My GPS/Nokia Drive app works fine though. And yes, I do have location services turned on. Really frustrating.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
From Microsoft: Local Scout. Local Scout (a feature accessible from the Start screen, Bing search, and Maps) is available in the following countries/regions: Australia, China, France, United Kingdom, United States.

How does this make sense though? I switched the region to United states and I'm from Canada (Montreal) and it shows me good see+do list, and a for you list, just no shop and food+drink. And also, when I swipe from bing search it works perfectly fine as well and I didn't have this feature before until I changed my region to US. I find it strange since in my HERE maps it shows all nearby restaurants if I search their names perfectly fine. o_O

EDIT: Just whipped out my old LG Optimus 7 and this works AMAZINGLY well on it. Wth :( Also, while viewing jt realized my events are all off on my 8X -_-

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3