Just had an idea how to get NFC transactions to work

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm really upset Microsoft hasn't enabled NFC payments (and probably never will because of Isis). I had an idea to use Nokia Care Suite to install a ROM that isn't an ATT ROM, and that would lift the restrictions since they're based on the ROM of the phone.

For example, if you try to use internet sharing on an ATT Lumia 820, you will get the message to contact your provider. When I use to use a Lumia 710 that was unlocked and on ATT, I never got this message because Tmobile didn't put a lock on their 710 ROMS when it came to tethering, and was therefore able to bypass ATT's lock and tether. Also, according to Windows Phone help online, it says your phone must have the option to select "NFC transactions" from the wallet hub. Obviously, we don't have that option on our ATT Lumia ROMS, but a ROM from SOMEWHERE had to have this option open in order for them to make a screenshot of it...

Anyone else think this could work? Or is it really a physical secure SIM keeping us from using NFC for mobile payments. I just think its so dumb to put NFC in the darn phones, but can't use it for payments without something stupid like Isis. That should be our choice if we want to take the "unsecure way" or not...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Just bumping this up. Is anyone using a Windows Phone 8 device with NFC that is outside of the USA? Can you confirm that NFC transactions is enabled in ROMs outside the USA? Does this allow NFC transactions to work?

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Secure SIM is needed. Not much to do with MS it is AT&T. I don't have any problem using internet sharing either. I live in Texas.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Mobile payment work with the carrier "Orange" in France. They are the first to get it started. This was said in Microsoft conference over the summer get youtube video

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking, if any retailer wanted to use NFC, they could use Web payments. It would probably take one NFC tap to send the Web URL to the phone and then another NFC tap to send confirmation to the register. After all, Starbucks uses QR-like codes for payment. They don't really have to wait for Iris. Motivated retailers would find a way. Thy just aren't motivated.

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a Rogers SureTap SIM card (it's supposed to be a "Secure SIM") for my Lumia 1020 hoping it would enable the NFC Transactions option inside of the Wallet app. I just activated the SIM card, and unfortunately there is no option available inside of the wallet to enable "NFC Transactions". I'm sad :(

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb