Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    Good to see the blackberry people survived the holidays.
    I'm also happy for them :)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bb10_fan View Post
    I'm also happy for them :)
    That was never in doubt!

"fastest growing" is such an apples and oranges comparison when the starting point is so different. Actual numbers are needed to tell just how meaningful this is.
    Curse this app gap!
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bb10_fan View Post
    Very funny I always like those commercials but I fail to see the relevance in this thread.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    LOL right. The numbers games can be very deceiving. When you have such low numbers, any type of increase will look awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by mpelti View Post
    "fastest growing" is such an apples and oranges comparison when the starting point is so different. Actual numbers are needed to tell just how meaningful this is.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    LOL right. The numbers games can be very deceiving. When you have such low numbers, any type of increase will look awesome!
    exactly. 0.1% to 0.3% is like a 300% increase.
    But whatever makes you happy.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    i understand that you want to be all that you can be as a hacker but unfortunately that phrase is the only one that matters in the minds of practical people. That comparison you gave is not a good one as obviously people wouldnt buy a car like that. Smartphones for the most part are universally similar, and having them "just work" is all that people who arent hackers care about. i suppose if you buy a garbage android with bloat and lag that it would make some sense for you to try and tweak or alter it to fit your needs but realistically speaking no one i know has a rooted phone, or for that matter ever even thought of rooting it. windows phone is smooth and you get what you pay for. Why buy a phone that you feel your gonna have to tweak?

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    Very funny I always like those commercials but I fail to see the relevance in this thread.
    It was reply to "So Windows must be doing something right...". They put tons on money to promote WP8 devices :)
    Dave Blake likes this.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I would say that 30% of all the people I give a brief tour of my 920 to like it enough to seriously consider changing their phones to WP. That is pretty good considering the majority of people have investment in their phone's ecosystem.

What is also nice is that almost everyone I show it to really likes the WP tile theme.

At the end of the day though, most people can't be bothered to learn a new OS and new phone for marginal differences. These phones, FOR THE AVERAGE USER, all do the same thing. MS and Nokia are being punished for being late to the game. As long as they remember that mobile computing is not going away and that if it takes 10 years to gain market share and minds hare, it will be worth it in the long run. MS can handle the investment but not sure Nokia can...

Not a sprint, but a marathon. 2013 will see the pace quicken.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    This pace will slow down. Its just the numbers game. It becomes much harder to have this type of growth on you get established.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheekyTaurus View Post
    Not a sprint, but a marathon. 2013 will see the pace quicken.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    Well, given the thread title, 2012 is over....

all we need now are sales numbers from the previous year to determine if wp is or is not the fastest growing mobile os of 2012.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    Well, given the thread title, 2012 is over....

all we need now are sales numbers from the previous year to determine if wp is or is not the fastest growing mobile os of 2012.
    OH GOOD!

Sorry I had to do it.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Can't stand the "fastest growing" and "against iOS five years ago" comparisons. Just say it how it is, Windows Phone grows, perhaps promising, still rather behind.

Global Posts
    2,608 Global Posts
    People used to complain about Windows Mobile having too many menus and sub-menus, etc. It remains one of the most customizable OS's yet people complained. Microsoft simplified things to appease the masses and gave us Windows Phone 7, which "just works", and people now complain that it's not customizable as much as Android. As my 50th calendar draws nearer, I'm more confused than ever. In the words of today's youth, WTF? The UI is like nothing I'd ever expect from Microsoft and if its users moan enough where others may hear, it's doomed. I'd be wasting my breath if I told all these complainers to go get themselves the convoluted Android dujour or an iPhone and leave us alone.
    Thanked by:
    WinFan1 and Kredrian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    This pace will slow down. Its just the numbers game. It becomes much harder to have this type of growth on you get established.
    If these statistics meant anything that'd be true, but they don't and this is a false numbers game. These numbers include tablets so it's iPads, Galaxy Tabs and Nexus 7's and all the rest. Then there's use case, tablets especially, people on iOS and Android using their tablets instead of a desktop. That's purely web browsing so going to massively skew these numbers. So really bothering about how much mobile browsing is going on is not a useful statistic. It's fine to compare iOS to Android cos they are similar systems, but none of the other OS's work the same way.

As for people getting excited by the 289%, that's misleading as well. Growing .8% is barely statistically relevant. But at least it is growth.

The only useful stats are for mobile (only, no tablets) market share. Last numbers I saw for that were for November saying about 5% which is a healthy statistic and as MS and Nokia ramp up (and sort out some bugs - software, hardware, advertising, ecosystem, integration) I fully expect them to make it to 10% by the summer, let alone year end. Also the news that Samsung is bringing out multiple Tizen devices this year is another show that Android is in trouble.

I've had my 920 for a week and it's not perfect, but that's mostly down to WP, as a piece of hardware it's better than any phone out there (though I'd like it a little lighter). Once Nokia fix the stability issues and ramp up production I expect to see growth for WP accelarate, not decline.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    No no no. It will grown, just not at the 289% rate. So that rate WILL decline. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just means more phones are in the hands of customers. Its will become tougher and tougher to grow at that rate. Unless OEMs are going to give phones away with every gallon of gas you buy.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12