With Google not supporting Windows after Jan 2013, question?

aztec12

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a question, If google is going to stop support for windows does that mean that all e-mail and calendars will not sync anymore? If this is true, I will have no choice but to completely switch to outlook.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Ya. I just recently configured forwarding emails from Gmail to outlook to get messages real time.

Nothing works except email which is not real time as people mentioned.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has always had a superior calendar from Hotmail to now Outlook.
no..not really, the only thing superior to Google Calendar is outlook 2007, 2010 for the PC or 2011 for the Mac. Outlook/aka hotmail calendar is horrible. The UI is much harder to use on a PC.

If you want to web based only, only Office 365 offers a better calendar experience than gmail. But this cost around $72 per year.
They have not updated the calendar UI yet, it's ugly

I agree, there are many options missing from the hotmail calendar especially if you want to have reoccuring items. Outlook the app has this, GMail has this, as well as office 365, outlook.com/hotmail does not offer many options. On a W8 computer the calendar also lacks options.

I really hope that Microsoft enhances the Calendar UI, options across Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and Outlook.com

jedah

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. My brother is looking at an 8X, and I wanted to confirm some information before he gets it.

If someone buys a WP8 device before 1/30, he will be able to sync gmail on it, and continue to have gmail exchange support past 1/30?

For gmail users buying a WP8 phone after 1/30, what are you using instead? Will forwarding to Outlook function exactly the same as gmail exchange support? Or will things that you does on your phone not sync back up to gmail?

Thanks in advance.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. My brother is looking at an 8X, and I wanted to confirm some information before he gets it.

If someone buys a WP8 device before 1/30, he will be able to sync gmail on it, and continue to have gmail exchange support past 1/30?

For gmail users buying a WP8 phone after 1/30, what are you using instead? Will forwarding to Outlook function exactly the same as gmail exchange support? Or will things that you does on your phone not sync back up to gmail?

Thanks in advance.

It will continue to work for existing Google accounts, New accounts will not work. If he has a Google account already, it will work. When you buy the phone doesn't matter, it's when you opened your google account.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
It will continue to work for existing Google accounts, New accounts will not work. If he has a Google account already, it will work. When you buy the phone doesn't matter, it's when you opened your google account.

That's not the case. Activesync will continue to work for devices using it prior to the deadline, not for Google accounts created before the deadline. Which means that if your phone breaks, etc you'll be out of luck after January.

Here's the statement:

GOOGLE said:
Starting January 30, 2013, users, other than paid Google Apps users, won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync

kennedyk24

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm. Really tied to what happens here with Google sync. I'm looking to buy a windows phone at the end of the week but that will be past the deadline. I'd be moving from android so syncing with gmail and Google contacts will be ideal. I read about future cal DAV and can DAV support but how far away is that? If its going to be a serious issue I'll have to get a new android phone instead, I'd prefer the lumia 920 though. Any one know anything?

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm. Really tied to what happens here with Google sync. I'm looking to buy a windows phone at the end of the week but that will be past the deadline. I'd be moving from android so syncing with gmail and Google contacts will be ideal. I read about future cal DAV and can DAV support but how far away is that? If its going to be a serious issue I'll have to get a new android phone instead, I'd prefer the lumia 920 though. Any one know anything?

Nope, no one has a timeframe, and likely no one will until Microsoft officially announces something, they've not been great about sharing information terribly far in advance.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
In anycase, they're working on the issue now, so I can't imagine that it will take too long. Gmail is also my junk account now and I've switched my main account to outlook.com and I like it so much better, the UI has so much less clutter. The only thing about gmail I really like better is gchat (I know quite a bit of people on it) and google calendar which still is quite a bit more customizable that windows 8 calendar is. What I'm wondering is why they don't integrate gchat into the chat app in windows 8/wp8? Unless google is stopping them somehow, they did just drop EAS and been block wp8 from all of the features of youtube, so I would bet its google, not Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon