Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I have a question, If google is going to stop support for windows does that mean that all e-mail and calendars will not sync anymore? If this is true, I will have no choice but to completely switch to outlook.
    I don't recall the answer on calendars - that may require ActiveSync... But email will continue to work.

Ok - looked up a link... This article explains it well. Calendar won't work. Email will, but not push, if I'm following this correctly.
    Google drops Exchange ActiveSync. What does it mean for Windows Phone? [Updated] | Windows Phone Central
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    This is just for new activations, you're safe
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Does Outlook.com offer a decent calendar?

I might consider switching over if it does...

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Does Outlook.com offer a decent calendar?

I might consider switching over if it does...
    Microsoft has always had a superior calendar from Hotmail to now Outlook.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    They have not updated the calendar UI yet, it's ugly

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    Ya. I just recently configured forwarding emails from Gmail to outlook to get messages real time.

Nothing works except email which is not real time as people mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    Microsoft has always had a superior calendar from Hotmail to now Outlook.
    no..not really, the only thing superior to Google Calendar is outlook 2007, 2010 for the PC or 2011 for the Mac. Outlook/aka hotmail calendar is horrible. The UI is much harder to use on a PC.

If you want to web based only, only Office 365 offers a better calendar experience than gmail. But this cost around $72 per year.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhguth View Post
    They have not updated the calendar UI yet, it's ugly
    I agree, there are many options missing from the hotmail calendar especially if you want to have reoccuring items. Outlook the app has this, GMail has this, as well as office 365, outlook.com/hotmail does not offer many options. On a W8 computer the calendar also lacks options.

I really hope that Microsoft enhances the Calendar UI, options across Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and Outlook.com

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread. My brother is looking at an 8X, and I wanted to confirm some information before he gets it.

If someone buys a WP8 device before 1/30, he will be able to sync gmail on it, and continue to have gmail exchange support past 1/30?

For gmail users buying a WP8 phone after 1/30, what are you using instead? Will forwarding to Outlook function exactly the same as gmail exchange support? Or will things that you does on your phone not sync back up to gmail?

Thanks in advance.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jedah View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread. My brother is looking at an 8X, and I wanted to confirm some information before he gets it.

If someone buys a WP8 device before 1/30, he will be able to sync gmail on it, and continue to have gmail exchange support past 1/30?

For gmail users buying a WP8 phone after 1/30, what are you using instead? Will forwarding to Outlook function exactly the same as gmail exchange support? Or will things that you does on your phone not sync back up to gmail?

Thanks in advance.
    It will continue to work for existing Google accounts, New accounts will not work. If he has a Google account already, it will work. When you buy the phone doesn't matter, it's when you opened your google account.

Quote Originally Posted by JammyGitz View Post
    It will continue to work for existing Google accounts, New accounts will not work. If he has a Google account already, it will work. When you buy the phone doesn't matter, it's when you opened your google account.
    That's not the case. Activesync will continue to work for devices using it prior to the deadline, not for Google accounts created before the deadline. Which means that if your phone breaks, etc you'll be out of luck after January.

Here's the statement:

Quote Originally Posted by GOOGLE
    Starting January 30, 2013, users, other than paid Google Apps users, won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync
    Thanked by:
    jedah 

I'm. Really tied to what happens here with Google sync. I'm looking to buy a windows phone at the end of the week but that will be past the deadline. I'd be moving from android so syncing with gmail and Google contacts will be ideal. I read about future cal DAV and can DAV support but how far away is that? If its going to be a serious issue I'll have to get a new android phone instead, I'd prefer the lumia 920 though. Any one know anything?

Quote Originally Posted by kennedyk24 View Post
    I'm. Really tied to what happens here with Google sync. I'm looking to buy a windows phone at the end of the week but that will be past the deadline. I'd be moving from android so syncing with gmail and Google contacts will be ideal. I read about future cal DAV and can DAV support but how far away is that? If its going to be a serious issue I'll have to get a new android phone instead, I'd prefer the lumia 920 though. Any one know anything?
    Nope, no one has a timeframe, and likely no one will until Microsoft officially announces something, they've not been great about sharing information terribly far in advance.
    In anycase, they're working on the issue now, so I can't imagine that it will take too long. Gmail is also my junk account now and I've switched my main account to outlook.com and I like it so much better, the UI has so much less clutter. The only thing about gmail I really like better is gchat (I know quite a bit of people on it) and google calendar which still is quite a bit more customizable that windows 8 calendar is. What I'm wondering is why they don't integrate gchat into the chat app in windows 8/wp8? Unless google is stopping them somehow, they did just drop EAS and been block wp8 from all of the features of youtube, so I would bet its google, not Microsoft.