How do I load Nokia Drive from the Calendar?

l0cus

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
My job is something like a traveling salesman, and as such I'm a slave to my calendar and the multitude of appointments within it. If I have the meeting locations (ie. addresses) in the Location field of the meeting request, is there a way to either directly link/click so that Nokia Drive fires up with the address already entered OR a way to copy the address out and paste it into Nokia Drive? I'm hoping I'm completely missing something simple, because it just doesn't make sense that there is no linkage between the two apps. (On my old Droid Nexus S I could click the meeting locations and they would be mapped, then with the Jelly Bean update the OS would actually look the locations up in the background, check the traffic, and notify me in the Notification bar when I had to leave! I'm hoping something like this makes it to WP8)

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
If the location is an address it should let you click on it to open it in maps. From there you can click the pin and go to directions to open it in Nokia Drive

l0cus

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
That's what I would expect as well, but it doesn't seem to allow me to click on addresses in the Location field? I can click on phone numbers if they are entered in the Location field, but addresses are non-clickable and also non-copyable. Am I missing something?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps there is something in the formatting of your addresses that os preventing them from being detected? Does your phone detect addresses elsewhere (in an email for example)?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That's what I would expect as well, but it doesn't seem to allow me to click on addresses in the Location field? I can click on phone numbers if they are entered in the Location field, but addresses are non-clickable and also non-copyable. Am I missing something?

I just tested it out on my 822 and it seems to work like it should. I tried a few address, one of them was 1410 S. Museum Campus Drive Chicago, IL. It shows up in my meeting and it is underlined and when I click on it, it loads up in Maps (not Nokia Maps, just the normal Maps app.) From there I can select directions and once it shows me the directions I can hit the 'drive' button at the bottom and it loads Nokia Drive + and starts telling me where to go.

l0cus

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Well that is really odd. Phone numbers work fine, addresses aren't detected at all. I tried a bunch of different combinations:
1410 S. Museum Campus Drive Chicago, IL
1410 S. Museum Campus Drive, Chicago, IL
1410 S. Museum Campus Drive, Chicago, IL, USA

It doesn't work in emails, or in calendar entries. This is on a 920.

What tk-093 describes is exactly as I want it to work. Any suggestions on why it might not work?

arjeel

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just tried this on my NL 920. I put the address in both the location field and the notes field of the calendar entry. There was a clickable link for the address in both fields which brought me to maps and from there I could get directions and launch Nokia Drive. The text of the address I used was:

1410 S. Museume Campus Drive, Chicao, IL

I'm not sure what you are missing. Good luck.

l0cus

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
This might be a long shot, but I'm in Canada. I wonder if Rogers and/or Nokia have messed something up in the regional config? Can anyone else with a Nokia 920 confirm whether addresses work/don't?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This might be a long shot, but I'm in Canada. I wonder if Rogers and/or Nokia have messed something up in the regional config? Can anyone else with a Nokia 920 confirm whether addresses work/don't?

I almost think that might have something to do with it, otherwise I'm at a loss. It works in email for me as well on my 822. (Verizon.)

l0cus

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Copy and paste doesn't work out of the Location field. It works if there is text in the message details, but not Location.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Copy and paste doesn't work out of the Location field. It works if there is text in the message details, but not Location.

What you could do it actually edit the invite, which should let you copy the address. It's a pretty lame workaround and one you shouldn't have to do. I'm pretty much at a loss as to why it doesn't work as it should.

l0cus

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Huh, it doesn't even work with the edit window open. It's like copy/paste is turned off in the Calendar. I need another Canadian out there to validate that this isn't just my phone. Anyone?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Rogers Canada checking in.... entering the locations to my calendar entries and notes section do NOT produce clickable results in the calendar app.

However I do use AppoinTile | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) and in that which I use primarily, I get a button called "get directions" and from there is shows me the directions in Nokia Maps. I then have the option to pass it on to Nokia Drive.

32 hours and 21 mins from Vancouver to 1410 S. Museume Campus Drive, Chicao, IL

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a German 920, language is set tot English, all other regional settings are set to Dutch. I also can't click addresses in the calendar app. I have never seen it underlined there. But I can click on the adresses in the People hub, so the functionality is not broken.

I also need this for my work for travelling to my clients. So if we find a solution I will be really glad. Might it be the combination of phone language and regional settings? I see a pattern here... we both have the language set to english and the rest to something else.

l0cus

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Well look at that. I changed the Region from Canada to United States and now it works as expected. I wonder why that functionality would be turned off for those of us outside the USA?

Does anyone know what the Region setting impacts? If I leave it at USA, what is that going to affect?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know what the Region setting impacts? If I leave it at USA, what is that going to affect?

Yes, it will make you super awesome, but the downside is you will gain a few pounds and get the urge to go buy a bunch of guns. I still think it's a fair tradeoff.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Well look at that. I changed the Region from Canada to United States and now it works as expected. I wonder why that functionality would be turned off for those of us outside the USA?

I would still complain about it to like Rogers or something for starters.

NJCL-12

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi Deuxani - I was wondering if you've found a solution to this problem yet. I have the same issue with a Lumia 1520 imported from Austria, language UK English, region UK and regional format "match phone language". The phone uses Windows Phone 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism