Microsoft needs to push Windows Phone, seriously!

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The lack of key apps on Windows Phone has little to do with the developers and companies, seriously, these people have limited resources and you can't expect them to promptly support a platform with microbial marketshare.

That said, Windows Phone 8 has a number of fantastic features that would really sell, potentially even disturb the current market provided the platform has developers on-board. Take a look at the AMC app showcased on wpcentral's front page, not only is it amazing, but the way it integrates into WP makes WP amazing - and truly distinct. In fact, I think it's so distinct that it actually disturbs the consumer mindset, it definitely did so for me... Now I expect all apps of this nature to what AMC does on Windows Phone. In truth, this should be something that keeps me sticking to Windows Phone no matter what (user retention), and through clever marketing, draw new users in (adoption) in masses, long before the competition can offer a superior alternative.

But here's the problem, there's not nearly enough of this kind of app development in Windows Phone. Sure, we have notable exceptions such as Weather Flow, MetroTube, BBC Mobile and others (my personal shout to those amazing devs), generous support by CNN, AP, etc. But this is sadly a minority of key apps (not even talking about all apps here).

For example, of the banking apps that exist today I find it surprising that not enough of them have been updated to make use of WP8's key feature, Wallet, in some form. Sure, this can be because the banks in question don't have the necessary agreements yet with carriers (e.g. CIBC does with Rogers, they'll bring NFC payments soon to WP). Fair enough, but where the heck is Microsoft not actually pushing this to happen across the board?

In terms of an app catalogue I firmly believe Microsoft needs to ensure that the basics in every region are comprehensively covered:

1. Every WP user has access to an app for a major bank in their area (in Canada, there are none - though RBC promised)

2. Every WP user has access to proper transit information in the area. Granted Nokia Transit covers this quite well, but what about HTC/Samsung/XYZ users?

3. Every WP user has access to typical apps in their region, e.g. Ciniplex for Canadians, taxi apps, local news, etc.

It is stuff like this which make WP a lot more acceptable to people who truly consider such apps as essential before buying into a platform. In fact, some consider these apps so basic that they won't even look into whether WP has it or not, only to be disappointed later. With such a small userbase you cannot, under any condition, accept this as a reality!

However, this is the baseline, having such apps (including Instagram) will not necessarily prop Windows Phone up against the competition. The actual differentiation/disturbance comes from apps properly utilizing Windows Phone's key features. For example, Instagram should be integrated into the OS to the point where it shows up as a lenses option, that people are able comment natively, etc.

Who on earth would know this better than Microsoft? Who else is there at this time to really push the envelope on shaping app development on this scale other than Microsoft? Yes, it will cost money, a lot of money in fact... But look around you, smartphones are a highly prolific device and you are sitting on features that are in some ways disturbing - at least enough to pull in people, and retain your current lot.

Come on Microsoft, stop being the butt of jokes here, have some pride in this platform and go for the kill.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I think what will help is continued and increased commercials. Marketing has got to step up and promote the os.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i agree microsoft has to put its money where its phone is. Apps are needed, and with microsofts os able to take advantage of application integration in terms of the lock screen, social integration. **** even rooms should be something thats cross platform. Microsoft is sitting on a gold mine of personalization and efficiency. practicality has always been my favorite aspect about wp.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
The mobile industry is in infancy, very liquid, it would be crazy pour billions of dollars to develop third party apps to gain share in the current situation.
This year, new operating systems will be launched: Firefox OS, Tizen, BlackBerry 10, Jolla Sailfish, "Ubutu Mobile". Last year a big one was launched Windows 8!
A big change is coming for apps, most apps will be developed with HTML5, and those apps can be used in any device and will be distributed directly to device without unsing the App Store.

I think Microsoft should invest in the OS, complete the convergence with Windows 8, develop services like bing, skydrive, outlook, office 365, azure. The app landscape will be differente in a couple of years.

Last edited:

santillanavila1993

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I think this kind of demand and energy from consumers shows how healthy wp8 is. It has only been out for 2 months. Remember the missing features from ios and android at this stage? Very basic stuff missing from both OS's ( ios Bluetooth sharing still missing!).

The fact that WP has the basics down and now we are focusing on the complex features that no other mobile os has is great.

On another note Microsoft should really push to developers how to integrate apps to wp8 properly. This integration is what differentiates WP from the rest and should be advertised to the public

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The mobile industry is in infancy, very liquid, it would be crazy pour billions of dollars to develop third party apps to gain share in the current situation.
This year, new operating systems will be launched: Firefox OS, Tizen, BlackBerry 10, Jolla Sailfish, "Ubutu Mobile". Last year a big one was launched Windows 8!
A big change is coming for apps, most apps will be developed with HTML5, and those apps can be used in any device and will be distributed directly to device without unsing the App Store.

I think Microsoft should invest in the OS, complete the convergence with Windows 8, develop services like bing, skydrive, outlook, office 365, azure. The app landscape will be differente in a couple of years.
Perhaps, but it need not be billions of dollars...perhaps hundreds of millions, but in the way of ensuring that core apps are available for WP and integrated using the OS's selling features. Sure, it may just be that web apps will steer the future, but we don't know that for certain...we may end up sticking to native apps in a number of key areas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12