I hope Google Reader clients use the double-wide tile efficiently.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the WP8-optimized trial version of Wonder Reader on my Lumia 920 and while I like the app a lot, I cannot overlook how poorly the double-wide tile is made use of. On one side, it displays just the logo and the unread count, and on the flip side just one single recent headline. With the larger tile and higher resolution you'd think the tile would display multiple recent headlines on either side.
I understand that a user may have a large number of subscribed feeds and an even larger number of unread articles and that it may be impossible to display multiple headlines from each feed in the app's main double-wide tile. And that is why the user has the option to pin individual feeds to the start screen. IMHO, it would be a really useful feature if the double-wide tiles of individual feeds could display multiple recent headlines of that feed.

Nextgen Reader and NewsSpot are two apps I'll be watching out for, when they release WP8 versions of their apps.

Maybe I've just gotten too used to the effective use of space in the BBC and Amazing Weather HD (5-day forecast on flip side of double wide tile is awesome) live tiles.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded and installed the WP8 version of NewsSpot and unfortunately the primary and secondary tiles display only one headline on the double wide tile. The same info could fit into a medium tile too, so there's no additional benefit in pinning a double wide tile.

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi there!

You might be right in that there is little benefit at the moment for the wide live tiles, except for the larger preview image. One reason might be that this is what the system provides for free, i.e. with little work for the developer.

However, I'm pretty sure things will improve for the bunch of google readers you named (including mine, NewsSpot), based on the user feedback we get.

Thanks!

PS: will answer your mail later today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes