Getting contacts from N900 -> Lumia 920 == epic frustration

Sebastian Karlsson

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So one of the first things when getting a new phone & carrier is of course to transfer all the contacts over, the problem is that anything in the process which is a microsoft product sucks majorly.

First try, using the 'Transfer my Data' feature, this transfers 3 contacts by blue tooth ( it doesn't tell me which, but I don't really care, I have over 250 contacts on my phone ).

Second try, taken from some thread on the internet, export all contacts as vcard 3.0, download 'microsoft email' or whatever it was called ( part of windows essentials ). Try to import into 'microsoft email' by drag and drop, get hit in the face with 250+ pop ups where it wants me to review every single contact. Okay, whatever, as long as I get my data over I can hit 'Ok' 250+ times in a row, but no, this crap thinks a vcard line in the form: TEL:ObviousPhoneNumber means 'discard this', it absolutely needs a mobile phone number in the form TEL;TYPE=CELL,VOICE:ObviousPhoneNumber. Okay, so this doesn't work, and now I have 250+ contacts that got synced to my microsoft account which contains absolutely nothing, just a name without any contact information. "Well, this should be easy, all the contacts which I want to remove is classified as address book, I should be able to filter this easily just as I do with gmail every day", well no, I can't, or if I can it's hidden somewhere real well in 'microsoft email'. So after spending the next 15 minutes scanning through all my contacts and deleting these manually I go for the next try.

Third try using Nokia PC-suite for my N900 I'm able to export everything over as csv, now since there's no native csv import in windows 8 phone it would seem I once again I have to rely on the fantastic program 'microsoft email'. Now the problem here is that the monkey which thought it smart to hard code all contact attributes in 'microsoft email' limits me to 4 different phone number fields, but the N900 csv which just as every other modern contact system allows arbitrary many phone fields per contact, tagged & named appropriately. So when my csv currently has 6 different kinds of numbers, 'Microsoft email' wants me to condense this into 4 hard coded ones it's impossible. So I think, hey at least let me map these 2 from my N900 to this single type in 'Microsoft email', and I'll resolve the conflicts manually, this however is not possible, you can only map 1 <-> 1.

Fourth try, import the csv into gmail and then sync that over. I load the csv in gmail, everything works EXTREMELY well, it finds & suggests duplicates among my gmail contacts flawlessly, it imports all the data flawlessly, heck it even lets me review all the import work before committing it to my real gmail contacts. Awesome, lets sync this over to the 920, but no, again windows 8 phone absolutely refuses to import the phone numbers.

So yeah, a good days work for something which should be incredibly easy & being one of the first impressions of the phone all I can say is who the **** designed this crap?

Last edited:

SevenDead1ySinz

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why you are having so much difficulty. If the contacts are all saved as Windows Live Contacts, then when you add your Microsoft Account into the 920 It will automatically sync all of your Windows Live Contacts. When I switched from my Focus to my 920, All I did was enter in my Microsoft account and other account details, and all of my contacts synced up, with the majority still linked together.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why you are having so much difficulty. If the contacts are all saved as Windows Live Contacts, then when you add your Microsoft Account into the 920 It will automatically sync all of your Windows Live Contacts. When I switched from my Focus to my 920, All I did was enter in my Microsoft account and other account details, and all of my contacts synced up, with the majority still linked together.

Yeah, dude. Do what this guy says.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

He means N900 not Lumia 900 ;) Symbian phone.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe there is a way to sync your contact info to Google if the N900 is Symbian and then from there you can bring them in on the 920 when you add your Google Account.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I found a way to import my contacts from a CSV for BlackBerry to WP. I used the people section on the hotmail website. That seemed to work ok for me. Had a few conflicts though but nothing major.

Sebastian Karlsson

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the contacts splendidly in gmail, but the phone numbers doesn't sync over to WP8, likely because WP8 and all microsoft products seems to be incredibly picky about fields which doesn't map naturally to their predetermined ones. WP8 fields doesn't even match the ones in outlook 2007 or their free mail client. Basically they've decided there's 'Mobile 1 & 2', 'Home 1 & 2' and 'Work 1 & 2'. It's just an incredible stupid setup to hard code labels in that way, instead I should be allowed to as many phone numbers as I want, with whatever label I want, and if semantics is needed I could instead associate a type ( for example mobile ) with them.

In any case, having tried both the active sync and ordinary gmail setup in WP8, none syncs phone numbers over.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
If the CSV idea dont work and you happen to be in the USA try to go into your local Radio Shack store. They have a Celebrite machine they use that will transfer Contacts, Pictures, messages from a great variety of older phones to the new phones being that the Lumia 920 is currently a phone being sold there its worth a try. Radio Shack does this free for their phone customers and some times they allow others to use it via a sales rep actually doing it. Just be polite and ask a sale's rep as they all been trained to work the machine. The store gets graded on how many times the Machine gets used so its in the store's best interest to use the machine as much as possible be it the sales reps don't get anything out of it its something that Radio Shack does that other stores charge if they even offer it.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Try exporting contacts to a .csv file and then goto outlook.com and import .csv, all contacts should then appear and sync flawlessly to the 920.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
This may seem stupid but copy all your contacts to N900 (leave non on the old sim). Insert the micro sim that your are going to use for the Lumia 920 in the N900 (even if it's smaller, you can usually put it in and remove it easily). Copy all contacts from N900 to micro sim. Remove micro sim from N900, place in Lumia 920. Copy all contacts from microsim to Lumia 920. Hope this helps. That's what I did when upgrading my sister from a Nokia 6300 to a Lumia 710.

locoworks

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This may seem stupid but copy all your contacts to N900 (leave non on the old sim). Insert the micro sim that your are going to use for the Lumia 920 in the N900 (even if it's smaller, you can usually put it in and remove it easily). Copy all contacts from N900 to micro sim. Remove micro sim from N900, place in Lumia 920. Copy all contacts from microsim to Lumia 920. Hope this helps. That's what I did when upgrading my sister from a Nokia 6300 to a Lumia 710.

i tried that going from a sony ericsson P990 to the ATIV-S, it imported some things ok, the ones with just one mobile number assigned to a contact, but on contacts with multiple number types it designated every number as mobile and wanted it saved as hotmail or something else just as unwanted by me. it also missed some letters out of peoples names too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium